Autopsy Round 22, 2024: Positives and Negatives vs North Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

CULTURE looks to be building again.

Two weeks in a row now where in any of the past 2/3 years we would have rolled over and let the oppo steam roll us to the end, instead we show some heart/belief and fight it out to the end.

Massive win(s) for the club. Next two weeks will be interesting though, but hopefully we continue with this attitude and have a positive end to the season (even if we loose both, show the fight)

I know it probs means nothing but loved that.
It doesn't mean nothing.

It's our first win in Tassie for 6 years. Our first away win of the season, and another come from behind win with our backs to the wall.

Cannot overstate how huge that is for our young playing group.

Positives +
  • Club was very efficient in it's entries.
  • Gov holding our backline together. Without him we lose for sure. Surprising he's not in anyone else (except Eagles fans) All Australian. Kept Larkey quiet who often got a hold of us especially when Barrass plays on him.
  • Allen lifted up and kicked the winning goal. Showing by example on willing us to win. My names on some sites is called "Oscar Allen's Biggest Fan"
  • Yeo stood up and kicked two clutch goals.
  • Once Gaff came on the team's fortunes turned. It wasn't the late career Gaff impact, it was the AA form of Gaff's type of impact. Took that mark and set it up so Allen can kick that epic goal.
  • Hough kept Zuhaar quiet.
  • Waterman worked hard as always but was inaccurate. However his goal started the fightback.
  • Ginbey continues to impress down back. Playing a KPP role against much bigger forwards and doing a great job.
  • Duggan tries hard as usual.
  • Cole solid down back.
  • Maric starting to get more of the ball. Just need players to get into space for him because he will hit them with his elite kicking.
  • Darling competed in the air all day. Made a crucial spoil to allow Cripps to kick that goal to get us back in it.
  • Improved midway through the third until the end of the game.
  • Johnston and Hall showing that they have the talent to be AFL players as part of his rebuild.
  • Dewar also look good as well. That long range goal was epic. Showing smarts and getting into positions.
  • Trew showing that he can make it. Tackled well too.

Meh =
= Reid not at his best but shown some flashes. Just not getting into positions to receive the ball as much because the more he has it, the better the team will be as he's an elite decision maker and has clean disposals.
= Bailey held his own in the ruck against an elite ruck in Xerri but just couldn't contain him around the ground.
= Witherden was ok in defending but overshot a few kicks.

Negatives -
  • First to midway of the third term. Smashed in clearances.
  • No tag on Sheezel who killed us early on.
  • Priority pick case getting even weaker.
  • Likely to cement pick 3 when we could've had pick 2.
  • Waterman's inaccuracy.

Final thoughts
I certainly did not expect us to win against the Suns last week and against Norf this week. I have a bad feeling as much as we like to win, this may become another 2009 in terms of having less chance of the AFL saying yes to a priority pick. Plus we may miss out on a gun at 2 and get a serviceable player at 3. However nonetheless a win in Tassie is great, not even our 2018 flag winning team could do it.

Harley doesn't seem to get into positions to receive the ball as much because as I said, whenever he has it, he will make the best decisions and will execute it. Hopefully he can improve his tank more and his positioning smarts so get can get more of the ball.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Positive, didn't realise it was live to air so turned on midway through the third. Shit we've only kicked 3 goals, oh Jakey's lining up... 4 goals ok...

Positive, regardless of whether we should or shouldn't, Oscars trade value just went up.

Positive, one of Montgomery or Hansen odds on to drop out of the race mid week. I say we lose Monty this week then Hansen drops out after we knock Carton out of finals next week.

Negative, thought Gaffy probably did enough to be chaired off instead of awkwardly walking along the ground like some kind of mortal.

Edit:

Positive, my boy Trew making it near impossible for them to delist him now. Which was already hard given Schofield has basically seen him as a second son since the moment he copped a week for giving Taj a whack.

Positives
-Senior guys Darling and Gaff when he came on playing very well
-Dewar and Harvey showing that they should have been playing most of the year and proving a few on here wrong
-McGovern cementing AA claim
-Allen absolutely incredible in second half (after being absolutely dogshit in the first)
-Hough and Ginbey great in backline again
-Trew also showing he should have been playing most of the year
-Reid mark

Negatives
-BWilliams getting pounded
-Not enough game time form JW
-Reid being injured

Trew making a very good case for a new contract

Yep despite Simmo and a few on here's (very strong) opinions, he's an AFL standard player easily and should get another go. Better than alot on our list

15 disposals at 80% DE, 6 tackles and a goal and was one of a handful having a crack in the first half

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 22, 2024: Positives and Negatives vs North Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Back