Autopsy Round 22, 2024: Positives and Negatives vs North Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

So how did we win this. I bailed when we went 35 down and only saw the last 2 mins after that.
Stats sheet says nobody got the ball, so how did we win?

I was the same - turned away from the footy for the 3rdQ, to come back in for the last 10 minutes. Not on TV up here, so I don't know how we did it? But oh my, what a win. Schofield, you are quickly becoming a hero in turning this mob around. Haven't seen the Eagles play like this since 2018.

People saying he's a crab and should be traded........................honestly
Literally just last year he was right up there in the coleman with all time bad forward 50 entries
19 goals in 8 games since returning from injury. Across a 23 game season, that works out to be 54.6 goals.

We’ve finished 17th, 18th and 16th.

Imaging coming home to find your house on fire, but you instead get pissed off because you put the yellow bin out not the green. We have so much more on our plate than spending a second worrying about what Oscar Allen is up to, it’s astonishing anyone wouldn’t just thank god he plays for us and move along.

19 goals in 8 games since returning from injury. Across a 23 game season, that works out to be 54.6 goals.

We’ve finished 17th, 18th and 16th.

Imaging coming home to find your house on fire, but you instead get pissed off because you put the yellow bin out not the green. We have so much more on our plate than spending a second worrying about what Oscar Allen is up to, it’s astonishing anyone wouldn’t just thank god he plays for us and move along.
Thats while splitting the main role with Waterman too, hes not the only target down there anymore

I'm not one to rage too much on the umps (Waterman kicks 4.1 and we sail home for example), but how is it possible to go from 8-1 frees in favour of us at 1/4 time to end up 16-17 in their favour?

The free count doesn't need to be even, but 8-1 is ridiculous. Then they basically pay 2:1 to even it up at the end. They are obviously being coached/informed at breaks on their numbers, which therefore begins to take the objectiveness out of their decision making, which means for certain times if the games there are 2 sets of rules in play.

But whatever, the AFL says the umpiring standard has never been better
The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.”

Was at a family function yesterday so only checked the score a couple of times and had a look at the game day thread.
From what I could gather we were/are a steaming pile, Tom Cole and BBW among others should never play for us again. Also we should get rid of our captain.
Watched the replay last night, It was like a different game to the one described, Tom Cole was fine, one bad clanger but involved in a couple of great passages of play. Bailey did some good things as well, got beaten but not disgraced. As for the capt, well say no more.
It's like some people don't understand you can have good and bad moments in the same game, you can fight back if beaten early and momentum can change. Expecting players in a bottom three team to be perfect 100% of the time is a tad unhinged.

Both things can be true. I dont mind Derm, one of the more balanced commentators IMO, but he does go off on some dribbling tangents quite regularly.
Say what you want about Derm and his rambling overexplaining and praising footballers performing basic skills like they're a child who overcame bed wetting, but I like him. And the simple reason for that is he actually seems like he really enjoys football.

Starts giggling when the game is hot, can't contain his excitement at critical passages of play. It's a little ray through the clouds of catchphrase merchants, paint-by-numbers AFL drones and incoherent blabberpots. A bit of joie de vivre reminding the fans that despite everything else you're tuning in to watch the best game in the world.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Say what you want about Derm and his rambling overexplaining and praising footballers performing basic skills like they're a child who overcame bed wetting, but I like him. And the simple reason for that is he actually seems like he really enjoys football.

Starts giggling when the game is hot, can't contain his excitement at critical passages of play. It's a little ray through the clouds of catchphrase merchants, paint-by-numbers AFL drones and incoherent blabberpots. A bit of joie de vivre reminding the fans that despite everything else you're tuning in to watch the best game in the world.
Agree - he's also got insight into most of our squad so he does his homework. He and Mooney work well together too.

McKercher kicked 20m more often than not.I thought when he did kick long he lacked penetration.He tended to hang on to the ball longer than necessary and will get cleaned up sooner rather than later.
Will certainly be an accumulator

Sounds like Gaff Mk2

Wasn't enough replaying Gaffs mark. Still only seen it once, so for now, it was Jono Brown esque. 😉 I'll watch it again shortly..

Curious, what were you all thinking when Gaff was lining up for goal?

We all know he hasn't had it in him for years, but part of me thought, Cinderella story, he'll probably kick a point at least (and at that point, a draw was an escape) Hoped for his best kick in years and a straight up goal, but what Oscar did was even better. Killed clock time also so smart play by Gaff to kill time by going short to the pocket.

Wasn't enough replaying Gaffs mark. Still only seen it once, so for now, it was Jono Brown esque. 😉 I'll watch it again shortly..

We all know he hasn't had it in him for years, but part of me thought, Cinderella story, he'll probably kick a point at least (and at that point, a draw was an escape) Hoped for his best kick in years and a straight up goal, but what Oscar did was even better. Killed clock time also so smart play by Gaff to kill time by going short to the pocket.

He was never going to make the distance, Allen even joked about it post-game, so what we got was by far the best outcome.

I'm surprised it went as far as it did.

Would've loved Gaff to have slotted that.

Was at a family function yesterday so only checked the score a couple of times and had a look at the game day thread.
From what I could gather we were/are a steaming pile, Tom Cole and BBW among others should never play for us again. Also we should get rid of our captain.
Watched the replay last night, It was like a different game to the one described, Tom Cole was fine, one bad clanger but involved in a couple of great passages of play. Bailey did some good things as well, got beaten but not disgraced. As for the capt, well say no more.
It's like some people don't understand you can have good and bad moments in the same game, you can fight back if beaten early and momentum can change. Expecting players in a bottom three team to be perfect 100% of the time is a tad unhinged.
To be fair "Fighting back in a Game" hasn't really been a demonstrated behaviour of our group for several years...some might argue you need to go back to our mid-00's side to see a back to back effort.

Generally we start getting beaten and it snowballs into yet another embarrassment. Give us pessimists a chance to reset our expectations!

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 22, 2024: Positives and Negatives vs North Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Back