Autopsy Round 22, 2024: Positives and Negatives vs North Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

As Gaff was about to kick, Oscar was walking with his back to the play and Bailey was jogging back for the contest.

View attachment 2077224

What these shots show is that we were very lucky. You would put Oscar down as a marking option normally and not your crumbing option. Based on his position

I would hope in the future we do not set up like this needing a goal to win. A point was most likely going to ill the game off.

I am not with you that Oscar kew where it was going as he ran back and you can see in the final frame he was looking for a mark at the top of the square

View attachment 2077240
Didn't Oscar state that he was hanging around hoping to be on the end of a short kick?

I am sure he said that after the game. Was trying to act out of the play hoping for a spot up kick on a quick lead but Gaff pumped it in quick due to the time on the clock so it never eventuated that way.

Didn't Oscar state that he was hanging around hoping to be on the end of a short kick?

I am sure he said that after the game. Was trying to act out of the play hoping for a spot up kick on a quick lead but Gaff pumped it in quick due to the time on the clock so it never eventuated that way.
From the behind the goals, Oscar was well positioned for a short kick. Nothing eventuated as Gaff just went long so Oscar went back to crumb the pack.

What's going on with Harley? Seems to be getting target by the establishment big time. The umpires I get, as he has been chirping off to them and has put them offside (I dont like it but I understand why it is happening), but now the MRO?

He certainly is.

Across Rounds 1-11, H.Reid received 26 free kicks for and had 17 against.

This was the largest positive free kicks for/against discrepancy of any player in the competition.

Then two things happen.

First, we get a media blitz during the week comparing Reid to Ginnivan and that he needs to be umpired accordingly.

And secondly, of much greater importance, reports come out that the club is working on an extension of Reid's contract. This is greeted from Victoria with nervous borderline hysteria.

Remember also that at the time North are 0-10 and being tipped by many to see out the season winless.

So, what happens then?

Within the opening minutes of the next game, this does:

Followed by free kicks against being found where they never existed before.

And then a two week suspension for a tackle because it had potential to do harm - rather than using the standard outcome basis that is normally applied. D.Wilson passed concussion tests, played out the game and missed no subsequent training, yet the verdict was upheld without any reduction.

All from the same game. The tone was set.

Before Round 12, Reid had been charged by the MRO just once, in Round 1, for inadvertent umpire contact. From Round 12 onwards he has been charged by the MRO in fully half of his matches (4/8). The latest for being in a melee that apparently involved nobody else.

It's the same with umpires.

After Round 11, that 26-17 free kick record in his favour flips completely.

Since then, Reid has received 13 free kicks for and had 26 against.

Which is the largest negative free kicks for/against discrepancy of any player in the competition over this time period.

We're not imagining things. It would appear that something very odd is going on from the competition's administration towards Reid. Some would perhaps say an agenda.

Others would be inclined to swear the VFL is conspiring to make things miserable for Reid so that he doesn't enjoy his time in Perth too much.

Something doesn't sniff right here that's for sure. I can't recall seeing any player being suddenly treated so differently and comprehensively by the administration within the same season ever.

Coaches votes from our win - only 2/6 from the winning side?

North Melbourne v West Coast​

9 Tristan Xerri (NMFC)
9 Jeremy McGovern (WCE)
6 Oscar Allen (WCE)
4 Harry Sheezel (NMFC)
1 Paul Curtis (NMFC)
1 Colby McKercher (NMFC)

He certainly is.

Across Rounds 1-11, H.Reid received 26 free kicks for and had 17 against.

This was the largest positive free kicks for/against discrepancy of any player in the competition.

Then two things happen.

First, we get a media blitz during the week comparing Reid to Ginnivan and that he needs to be umpired accordingly.

And secondly, of much greater importance, reports come out that the club is working on an extension of Reid's contract. This is greeted from Victoria with nervous borderline hysteria.

Remember also that at the time North are 0-10 and being tipped by many to see out the season winless.

So, what happens then?

Within the opening minutes of the next game, this does:

Followed by free kicks against being found where they never existed before.

And then a two week suspension for a tackle because it had potential to do harm - rather than using the standard outcome basis that is normally applied. D.Wilson passed concussion tests, played out the game and missed no subsequent training, yet the verdict was upheld without any reduction.

All from the same game. The tone was set.

Before Round 12, Reid had been charged by the MRO just once, in Round 1, for inadvertent umpire contact. From Round 12 onwards he has been charged by the MRO in fully half of his matches (4/8). The latest for being in a melee that apparently involved nobody else.

It's the same with umpires.

After Round 11, that 26-17 free kick record in his favour flips completely.

Since then, Reid has received 13 free kicks for and had 26 against.

Which is the largest negative free kicks for/against discrepancy of any player in the competition over this time period.

We're not imagining things. It would appear that something very odd is going on from the competition's administration towards Reid. Some would perhaps say an agenda.

Others would be inclined to swear the VFL is conspiring to make things miserable for Reid so that he doesn't enjoy his time in Perth too much.

Something doesn't sniff right here that's for sure. I can't recall seeing any player being suddenly treated so differently and comprehensively by the administration within the same season ever.

Tbh I wish he put his energy into the football, then give it to them when you get a goal or make a play that results in a goal. Waste of energy and the umpires are shitting on him

That’ll come with maturity and experience.
HR9 has played for years where he is just way above the rest. But AFL players are stronger, faster, smarter and better coached meaning it ain't the walk in the park that he's used to. But his game will evolve. First season. 19 years old. (And unlike, say, the Daicos boys he hasn't had all their many advantages.)

As Gaff was about to kick, Oscar was walking with his back to the play and Bailey was jogging back for the contest.

View attachment 2077224

What these shots show is that we were very lucky. You would put Oscar down as a marking option normally and not your crumbing option. Based on his position

I would hope in the future we do not set up like this needing a goal to win. A point was most likely going to ill the game off.

I am not with you that Oscar kew where it was going as he ran back and you can see in the final frame he was looking for a mark at the top of the square

View attachment 2077240
If the intent was for Oscar to be a marking option he would have been back on the line to give himself some lesding options as Gaff was at the top of his mark.
Instead he meanders back slowly with his back to Gaff so not to attract a defender . He gets himself in some space then as a crumber would do, looks at the pack rather than the ball as it comes in (3rd frame).
I reckon that was exactly what he intended to do. Perhaps he was going to try to turn for a short hit up but he was unmarked so would expect him to have gone already.

Last edited:
Coaches votes from our win - only 2/6 from the winning side?

North Melbourne v West Coast​

9 Tristan Xerri (NMFC)
9 Jeremy McGovern (WCE)
6 Oscar Allen (WCE)
4 Harry Sheezel (NMFC)
1 Paul Curtis (NMFC)
1 Colby McKercher (NMFC)
JSco gave Curtis a vote because he was one of our best he missed that many shots on goal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep, that's pretty much what he said in the press conference. Hovering in that space in front of Gaff, as he said 'trying to get a cheap kick'. I'd heard that 'he pointed to Gaff where to kick it' but that might've been a commentator saying that? But he certainly read the ball, covered the ground and got himself in the right position from where he was, and just read the drop of the ball so well..There were lots of little moments that could've gone either way for both teams (the random nature of football) but WC seized every opportunity in those last few minutes...

What's going on with Harley? Seems to be getting target by the establishment big time. The umpires I get, as he has been chirping off to them and has put them offside (I dont like it but I understand why it is happening), but now the MRO?
I guess if you keep fining him $$$ then it doesn’t matter what we pay him, he doesn’t see it and might as well move home? Some rat cunning vAFL shit there.

Oscar would have been on more goals than Jake had he played the entire year no doubt.

Also if Gaff had taken his time and North rush a point and its a draw I would've taken that as a win.

All worked out well.

Agree that the win could be covering cracks of why we were 6 goals down in the first place but it's a good sign to fight back.

I also think our inefficiency allowed north to slowly build a lead rather than north being super awesome

we kicked 0.7 between Williams 1st qtr goal and jakes 3rd qtr goal.

Had we kicked 3.4 say we are right in it. Although in that period North kicked 7.7 so could be been worse.

Young team, lots to work on, but better signs of late

Sent from my SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

One thing that stands out with Waterman and Allen is that they're not reliable set shots. They have period where they miss nothing (Waterman against GC and Allen 2nd half against North) to periods where they make the simple look hard (Waterman against North and Allen 1st half).

Makes me appreciate how spoilt we were last decade. Had JK, Darling and Lecca all very reliable set shots.
Waterman is one of the most reliable set shots in the league. Allen was pretty good too before his injury

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 22, 2024: Positives and Negatives vs North Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Back