Autopsy Round 22 = Sydney 89-86 Collingwood.

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m taking into account the lack of young up and comers at the moment and the fact that there will be compromised drafts with Tassie coming in. We’ll be lucky to get “good” young players during that time. Our age demographic at the moment just is just too old and apart from Nick the cupboard is pretty bare in that age group.

it's easier to rebuild these days with free agency. Also they should go hard after Mac Andrew, out of contract next year. He's a Melbourne boy and after what I saw this weekend, he is going to be a superstar.

Sidebottom has played some good games and some bad ones this year. One of the commentators said last night if Sidebottom goes around again he needs to be prepared to play some VFL and if he’s happy to do that he should be given another year. For mine he’s going to offer more than a late rookie pick next year and if the strategy is to contend again next year Sidebottom helps us.

Reckon Sidebottom only goes around again if we have a space on the list that would otherwise be filled by a really late pick.

Given we have a bunch to re-sign, I reckon it's sayonara dear friend. Legend whose time has come.

Reckon Sidebottom only goes around again if we have a space on the list that would otherwise be filled by a really late pick.

Given we have a bunch to re-sign, I reckon it's sayonara dear friend. Legend whose time has come.

I think we'll cut a fair few and there will be a spot. I think he found his role for next year on Friday night - run with.

I’m taking into account the lack of young up and comers at the moment and the fact that there will be compromised drafts with Tassie coming in. We’ll be lucky to get “good” young players during that time. Our age demographic at the moment just is just too old and apart from Nick the cupboard is pretty bare in that age group.
Maybe, but we will be able to recruit from other clubs if we keep our trading stocks intact.

Steele has given enough to the Pies that whatever is decided for him, it gets decided in the next week. It would be a travesty to see him retired off as part of a post-season list management move.

Think he offers enough to go around next year.

Makes me sick looking at the weekend results, everything went our way and had we won we were a very real chance of making finals.
I don’t subscribe to the theory a lot have in that we wouldn’t do any damage anyway.
I think our side especially, could do some real damage and who knows what else if we went into a finals series with nothing to lose and some real confidence.
Anyway it’s a mute point now as we blew it big time.

it's easier to rebuild these days with free agency. Also they should go hard after Mac Andrew, out of contract next year. He's a Melbourne boy and after what I saw this weekend, he is going to be a superstar.
No chance, He absolutely loves it up there, and has no intention of coming back.
My Brother in law works with Andrew’s brother.

Yeah, early in the 4th quarter when the commentators said “Sydney would need to kick 5 goals to win this now, and that’s assuming Collingwood don’t score” was when I started to panic.
I felt the same. Then Heeney proceeded to have 14 possessions, 6 contested, 4 marks, 3 clearances, 4 I50s, 2 tackles and a goal in the last Q, and our midfield fell apart and they kicked 5 in a row to do just that

On SM-N975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think we'll cut a fair few and there will be a spot. I think he found his role for next year on Friday night - run with.
Yeah this is pretty much right.

There are plenty of guys from the top 8 sides as it sits currently that are a similar mould to Gulden (McCluggage, Treloar, Walsh, Butters, Holmes are a few that come to mind).

Steele is still an endurance beast despite maybe lacking a little in the speed department but he could definitely do the same sort of job on those listed above.

Maybe we can go hard and try work out a way to go for Dan Houston if he has any sort of interest in coming to Melbourne to fill that rebounding half back position, and move Steele back up the ground into a full time run with role.

Steele has given enough to the Pies that whatever is decided for him, it gets decided in the next week. It would be a travesty to see him retired off as part of a post-season list management move.

Think he offers enough to go around next year.

That’s OK for these combinations …

Club wants him to play on + He wants to play on = he gets a contract and plays on.
Club wants him to play on + He wants to retire = he retires
Club doesn’t want him to stay + He wants to retire = he retires

But what about the Micky McGuane option? …

Club doesn’t want him to stay + He wants to play on?

That typically gets handled post season.

That’s OK for these combinations …

Club wants him to play on + He wants to play on = he gets a contract and plays on.
Club wants him to play on + He wants to retire = he retires
Club doesn’t want him to stay + He wants to retire = he retires

But what about the Micky McGuane option? …

Club doesn’t want him to stay + He wants to play on?

That typically gets handled post season.
Then the club tells him isn't getting another contract. Now. Don't overthink it.

If you’re referring to Tsatas or Hobbs as the bomb I’d honestly prefer either to Schulz. And that’s with their indifferent exposed form thus far.
No way om Tsatas but Hobbs has had his moments. But Hobbs has never come close to emulating what Schultzy is capable of and has on his resume.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It is pretty tiresome to have so many blame Schulz for our situation. many years of good and bad decisions have created this playing list. Most of the people who made those decisions are long gone, and Schulz wasn't one of them.
We are in for a few tough years. The way to cope is not to turn on our players, but to support them as the team is rebuilt.
I must be a blind optimist but I don't think we are in for a few tough years. I have faith in the club's capacity to work through this difficult period while still being finals contenders at least.

I must be a blind optimist but I don't think we are in for a few tough years. I have faith in the club's capacity to work through this difficult period while still being finals contenders at least.
Dont think we can go into another season with Steele Pendles Howe

Pendles is back …Howes form has been solid
I think as much as I admire Steele and his contribution i think its time for him to bow out

Dont think we can go into another season with Steele Pendles Howe

Pendles is back …Howes form has been solid
I think as much as I admire Steele and his contribution i think its time for him to bow out
I think I agree in spite of his outstanding performance on Friday night. I just hope he doesn't become another champion who finishes his brilliant career at another club.

Sidey recently said he felt great and was still loving the game and making a contribution.

Sadly, I can see him joining a contender for a year or so as an icing on the cake option much like Hodge and Lewis did, if he gets cut.

That would cut deep. very deep. I love the bloke and that beautiful smile.

I think I agree in spite of his outstanding performance on Friday night. I just hope he doesn't become another champion who finishes his brilliant career at another club.

Sidey recently said he felt great and was still loving the game and making a contribution.

Sadly, I can see him joining a contender for a year or so as an icing on the cake option much like Hodge and Lewis did, if he gets cut.

That would cut deep. very deep. I love the bloke and that beautiful smile.
Totally agree

I hope if it comes to that he doesn’t play elsewhere

Yup, let's punish the team good enough to be in the lead. How dare they try and protect a lead.

Maybe that was Flys mistake - telling the world we practice closing out games. In the AFL brains trust that clearly translated to these guys must be cheating. Identify their tactic and stop them.

Now the umpires are jumping at shadows.

The media are now calling this a 'conspiracy theory' lol what clowns.

The media are now calling this a 'conspiracy theory' lol what clowns.
And now Longmire is bitching about Collingwood's home ground advantage across the season.
He may be factually right in this particular aspect, but he can hardly complain given Sydney were the AFL's "love child" for SO many years. :rolleyes:

And now Longmire is bitching about Collingwood's home ground advantage across the season.
He may be factually right in this particular aspect, but he can hardly complain given Sydney were the AFL's "love child" for SO many years. :rolleyes:
God he’s a prick. I hope Sydney choke once again in the finals.

God he’s a prick. I hope Sydney choke once again in the finals.

I hope Fly doubles down on his comments as Fly is 100% correct.

The lack of accountability for decision making needs to stop.

Imagine having mids like Heeney. We lack class. They have Warner, Gulden and Heeney. We only have Nick who struggles with a tag and has to be tagged because we do not have any other quality mid. Heeney is sensational.
Yes. Why so many posters dont look at what players each team has and just think we choke or go defensive etc when that is not what is happening, frustrates me after the joy they have brought us. The last two games in Q4 we could not get the ball at all to even try to be defensive and chip it around. We werent trying any less, we were cooked. Our game is based on full field pressure from zone positions, then quick transition and weight of transition numbers chaos ball. The whole team has to run hard to get to opponents and then stick tackles uniformly and then run forward hard or it breaks down. A few years ago, we were as fit as anyone in midfield, and could always play that way in the last 10 minutes of hard games. Crisp always ran games out, Tay invariably played better in Q4, Pendles and Sidey were still fine and creative when the game opened up, as was Josh, Billy rotated mid when needed and Titch when with us, stopped opponents like Heeney getting easy clearances. We now have a midfield with only two stars and only if fit, Nick and JDG, Crisp not what he was in Copeland years (but still pretty good) and absolutely no young kids besides Nick ever likely to be premiership quality mids. Quality defenders who we hoped could transition, either could not (Bruzzy) or still have the jury out (IQ on a wing from limited opportunities which I would persevere with). Swans not only have Heeney, Warner, Gulden, but add Papley and the ability to rotate Parker and Mills and Rowbottom no slouch and now look at our best 6 for the next three years compared to their best six. I predict Di Mattia will make it within 2 seasons and TJ can be a player in about 10kgs time (at least 2 pre-seasons). I hope we let Reefe just play as a mid-Bailey Fritsch hybrid and stop making him and AJ try and be KPFs just because we have gaps there. So far, Fin can only aspire to be a Lipinski replacement, hard worker on the outside but not able to win clearances and escape tackles if inside. Schultz is a hard worker with good hands who tackles well who would have played well for us last year as he would work well with chaos ball, but he is not gifted enough in heavy traffic, plus he must be shattered by all the negative social media scoffing at his trade value. He will come back. We have nothing to trade either to improve quickly. It is a bit sad to see that Gulden and Warner were both recruited in the 30s! With the Tassy team there wont even be quick fixes if we go down further. Our 2023 team was not a super team but soon has to replace super players in Pendles, Sidey, Howe and important players in Titch, Checkers, Billy, Cox. How can we not go backwards before going forwards again?

Yes. Why so many posters dont look at what players each team has and just think we choke or go defensive etc when that is not what is happening, frustrates me after the joy they have brought us. The last two games in Q4 we could not get the ball at all to even try to be defensive and chip it around. We werent trying any less, we were cooked. Our game is based on full field pressure from zone positions, then quick transition and weight of transition numbers chaos ball. The whole team has to run hard to get to opponents and then stick tackles uniformly and then run forward hard or it breaks down. A few years ago, we were as fit as anyone in midfield, and could always play that way in the last 10 minutes of hard games. Crisp always ran games out, Tay invariably played better in Q4, Pendles and Sidey were still fine and creative when the game opened up, as was Josh, Billy rotated mid when needed and Titch when with us, stopped opponents like Heeney getting easy clearances. We now have a midfield with only two stars and only if fit, Nick and JDG, Crisp not what he was in Copeland years (but still pretty good) and absolutely no young kids besides Nick ever likely to be premiership quality mids. Quality defenders who we hoped could transition, either could not (Bruzzy) or still have the jury out (IQ on a wing from limited opportunities which I would persevere with). Swans not only have Heeney, Warner, Gulden, but add Papley and the ability to rotate Parker and Mills and Rowbottom no slouch and now look at our best 6 for the next three years compared to their best six. I predict Di Mattia will make it within 2 seasons and TJ can be a player in about 10kgs time (at least 2 pre-seasons). I hope we let Reefe just play as a mid-Bailey Fritsch hybrid and stop making him and AJ try and be KPFs just because we have gaps there. So far, Fin can only aspire to be a Lipinski replacement, hard worker on the outside but not able to win clearances and escape tackles if inside. Schultz is a hard worker with good hands who tackles well who would have played well for us last year as he would work well with chaos ball, but he is not gifted enough in heavy traffic, plus he must be shattered by all the negative social media scoffing at his trade value. He will come back. We have nothing to trade either to improve quickly. It is a bit sad to see that Gulden and Warner were both recruited in the 30s! With the Tassy team there wont even be quick fixes if we go down further. Our 2023 team was not a super team but soon has to replace super players in Pendles, Sidey, Howe and important players in Titch, Checkers, Billy, Cox. How can we not go backwards before going forwards again?
This all seems like a very astute and accurate analysis to me. I was actually surprised that we managed to hold the Sydney mids for three and a bit quarters. We spent enormous energy reserves in order to do that, which is one reason why I was perplexed that fresh legs weren't introduced earlier??
Add the questionable umpiring in the last quarter to that and it didn't seem like a "choke" to me.
Anyway, it's all history now :pensive: and I thank you for offering your detailed and logical perspective.

Should’ve kicked straighter and we’d have blown them away.
I think this has been an overlooked aspect - our accuracy has slowly fallen off a cliff, arguably from the mid way point of last year tbh. Even our more reliable set shot options in Elliott and Checkers have begun to waver - is it a change in routine or coaching perhaps?

He’s not factually right at all.

Brisbane got an absolute armchair ride in last year’s GF.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 22 = Sydney 89-86 Collingwood.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back