Autopsy Round 9 = Collingwood 51-99 Western Bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Fair point about Beau.

His work-rate is high (easier to see that at the ground vs TV). I believe he will become very important once he learns how to be more consistent across 4 quarters.

Physically he is very powerful. Almost uniquely so for his size.

Would love to see McCreery in the midfield, he could be a wrecking ball in there, but that physicality would see him spend minimal minutes in the midfield, as his endurance wouldn't be at a midfielder level at the moment....

Would love to see McCreery in the midfield, he could be a wrecking ball in there, but that physicality would see him spend minimal minutes in the midfield, as his endurance wouldn't be at a midfielder level at the moment....

He has played his best footy as a forward.

April 2019, SANFL R1:

"...This week’s Torrens Uni MVP nominee is South Adelaide’s Beau McCreery. Originally from Cove FC, the exciting Panthers forward booted six goals while also laying a staggering 11 tackles in his team’s massive win against Central."

This is what I'd like that animal to be doing for us. :)

I was calling for that on Friday night.
He has a thumping kick and I‘d love to seem him launching it into the forward line.

I don’t think he’s slow, but he’s not fast. I don’t think he can’t kick, but I don’t think it’s a strength either. He’s a very likeable vanilla, unfortunately. I pray he can develop more weapons somehow.

Well I could say the same for a Fellow Draftee in Macrare

Well I could say the same for a Fellow Draftee in Macrare

Macrae can find the ball pretty well, he just lacks the running capacity at the moment to get from contest to contest. And he’s a very good kick, much better than Poulter. And he moves through traffic better.

I’m quite confident on Finn, I just think he’ll take time.

Beau gets himself into very good spots and doesn't get used. So his stats reflect very poorly.
Once he does, his numbers will go up significantly.
He does an incredible amount of team things that never show on the stats sheet.

I don't ever take stats too seriously. But Beau is one whose impact on a game is almost at the polar opposite end to his stats!
I can absolutely believe this. My take has only been via TV as I've only made it to the Saints game (feels like a year ago now!).

We have the slingshot in place for our back-line turnovers, and he definitely frightens the bejesus out of defenders as they try to clear. But it's the slow plays where I feel he gets lost, like his main weapon is rendered useless when he's not near the ball.

Maybe it's also the lack of vision from a good portion of our younger players when going forward. The chaos kick is all fine and well, but we need to perfect the Option B and C kick to help us get a more even return from our forwards.

Oh and straight kicking for goal too :p That's one area that Beau also seems higher than average.

Seriously hope Beau can become a good player, not just a regular. As BLB and AD noted, is a very good kick he can mark the ball, at this stage he simply doesn't seem to be able to get enough of it at AFL level just yet.
His first couple of game were really good this season, his last three have been really poor in my opinion.
I'd also like to see him tidy up the number of free kicks he gives away. Its not so much the absolute number but the situation of the game, really hurt us V the Tigers in the second quarter ( from memory ) Love his ultra aggressive attack on the game but guys who play that way usually do not fare well with umpiring decisions, just feel he needs to play in an extremely disciplined way to maximise his ultra aggression.

Macrae can find the ball pretty well, he just lacks the running capacity at the moment to get from contest to contest. And he’s a very good kick, much better than Poulter. And he moves through traffic better.

I’m quite confident on Finn, I just think he’ll take time.

I agree with you on Macrae's strengths - and hopefully it is just endurance, but he just looks so slow, low energy and reactive that I don't feel close to confident.

I think that the coaching staff wanted to try him in specific roles, but those haven't worked out. I would be surprised if he plays much more senior footy for the remainder of the season....

100% agree and i want every player who pulls on the Black and White to succeed at senior level. Unfortunately with Cal, it might just be beyond him.

I think someone needs to call SEN on Monday morning, and ask Bucks how he feels watching Treloar playing excellent footy for the Doggies, and a genuine clearance midfielder, which we don't have, but we did have in Treloar, which the CFC are also paying for the privilege to watch.....
Treloar’s exit is pretty much a direct result of the Beams recruitment and salary cap pressure. That mismanagement is much more the domain of Guy and Hine.

Why we focussed on another midfield/half forward flanker type when Steven May was available as a free agent is beyond me. Similarly stymied any attempt we could have made to recruit Tom Lynch as well.

Horrendous.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Treloar’s exit is pretty much a direct result of the Beams recruitment and salary cap pressure. That mismanagement is much more the domain of Guy and Hine.

Why we focussed on another midfield/half forward flanker type when Steven May was available as a free agent is beyond me. Similarly stymied any attempt we could have made to recruit Tom Lynch as well.

Horrendous.

Lynch had gone when we moved to Beams. May would have cost a heap in cap. One of the reasons why they took Beams and why he went for the full whack in trade was that his salary was low for a player of his quality being traded in.

It turned out to be a disaster, but the thinking wasn't without potential.

So many mistakes involved in Treloar's exit - from cap management, the decision to recruit Mayne because we wanted a pressure forward to judgement of where we were at in terms of the list during the previous years, even to Treloar being chosen to be pushed rather than Sidey. All those shit decisions. It probably involved the whole football department making some bad judgement calls.

Last edited:

Horrendous.
Previous president was all over recruiting Beams - disaster

I think someone needs to call SEN on Monday morning, and ask Bucks how he feels watching Treloar playing excellent footy for the Doggies, and a genuine clearance midfielder, which we don't have, but we did have in Treloar, which the CFC are also paying for the privilege to watch.....
How in god's name does the Treloar trade end up getting attributed to Buckley...? Bucks loved Treloar and worked hard to get him to the club. Someone else pointed it out, but Treloar was a casualty of the Beams shit show which, again, was clearly not driven by Buckley.

How in god's name does the Treloar trade end up getting attributed to Buckley...? Bucks loved Treloar and worked hard to get him to the club. Someone else pointed it out, but Treloar was a casualty of the Beams shit show which, again, was clearly not driven by Buckley.
But clearly was driven by previous president (no names)

I'd assume that the coach is always involved in the recruitment of senior players - from the player type desired to green lighting the particular player.

And in this case the story has always been that Sidey set up a meeting between Beams and Bucks and that as result Bucks was won over - a story suggesting that Bucks was very much involved in the decision to trade Beams in.

The cap fiasco probably goes back to recruiting Mayne and Wells, which I'd assume Bucks was involved in, in terms of player type and green lighting the individuals, as well as decisions on where we were at as a team so whether or not to go all in and decisions on how much we didn't want to lose the overpaid ordinary players like Cox, Phillips, etc...

Others carry the can for the final contracts and overall cap mismanagement, but it was the whole footy department making bad calls, if you ask me.

Last edited:

Where in the post does it attribute Bucks to the Treloar trade?
The post is asking for an opinion on his thoughts of seeing Treloar playing the footy that he is currently, and with Collingwood being a poor clearance side, maybe that wasn't the best option for the club to pursue....

Haven’t you got a phone?

Pendlebury, Ginnivan and Murphy are available to face the Dockers

hungry pizza GIF

"Do something" - great coach's speech, but it actually did nothing good. The hawks were 20 points down when the speech was delivered. They lost by 55.
The assumption with those 'rah rah' ads is that the words and delivery were highly effective and the players went on to win the game. How disappointing!

Last edited:
Wrong meaning for sure. Poulter is a bog ordinary kick whichever way you want to put it.

Cal Brown will never again play at AFL level for Collingwood.
I reckon you will be eating those words. An injury or two and he will be back. In fact, he still has his spot in the team until dropped.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 9 = Collingwood 51-99 Western Bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Back