Opinion Sack Hinkley 5 - Lower The Blinds

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel like we're much more likely to extend Hinkley than we are to sack him. I can just sense that David Koch is ready to double down on his mistakes.
I genuinely do not believe Hinkley will get another contract. Koch is merely backing in his man, as he is the one who has given him the contract extensions to date. To do or say otherwise would be to admit failure, and Koch's massive ego and arrogance will never allow him to do that.

He'll go, but short of a loss to North this week and an ensuing capitulation he'll see out his contract, sadly.

I genuinely do not believe Hinkley will get another contract. Koch is merely backing in his man, as he is the one who has given him the contract extensions to date. To do or say otherwise would be to admit failure, and Koch's massive ego and arrogance will never allow him to do that.

He'll go, but short of a loss to North this week and an ensuing capitulation he'll see out his contract, sadly.
I honestly think we'll scrape into finals either this year or next and that will be enough for an extension.

I honestly think we'll scrape into finals either this year or next and that will be enough for an extension.
The fact the club and it's battalion of back slappers in the media are running with "we've turned the season around/where are the haters now!!" just tells me they're one shocker away from absolute calamity. I genuinely would not be surprised if that calamity occurs this weekend.

Is it worth a watch?
Can't hurt if you've got the time

A few takeaways:
  • He will only take a job where he thinks he can win a flag
  • Club culture/ board etc is paramount
  • Talked about a game the hawks played against Port in 2005
  • Talked about Marshall and Georgie starting to find their feet sans Dixon after a rough start
Quite a few other references to Port throughout... definitely seems like he has us on his mind ...

A few takeaways:
  • Talked about Marshall and Georgie starting to find their feet sans Dixon after a rough start
Quite a few other references to Port throughout... definitely seems like he has us on his mind ...
This is such a tease.....

A few takeaways:
I've got to ask, how and why did they get on to talking about Marshall and Mitch? Seems very strange in isolation.

You become a brown noser not for giving support, but when you become a compliant parrot over a long period of time that defys logic. The logic is that Ken is a good coach and a premiership capable coach. Everyone knows it to not be the case and the proof of that was probably evident from 2016. To still be backing this horse 6 years later with not 1 critical aspect of ken's ability questioned means you either just don't care or you have become part of the system that supports the loser mentality for the sake of protecting your personal cred. Boaks a brown noser by default because he's the one that should have been critical years ago. He's the one who was captain and now isn't so he knows what goes on and has never had a problem with ken.
How many players from any AFL team have you ever heard or seen interviewed where they publicly stated anything but positivity towards a coach and club officials ?

I can not think of any that I can remember. This doesn't mean any of these guys do not have personal views, they probably just do not share publicly.

I've got to ask, how and why did they get on to talking about Marshall and Mitch? Seems very strange in isolation.
To be honest I'm not sure. I was playing on my phone at the time and then my ears pricked up. He definitely said it though

fu** it. I'm back on board. Clarkson to Port in 2023...

Clarko has an ego. He wants to win another premiership but does he really want to do that at GWS, Gold Coast? I don’t think so, he’s want more than that. Port as he would know has a great list and hasn’t been able to do it.

If we aren’t talking to him sack the board.

The fact the club and it's battalion of back slappers in the media are running with "we've turned the season around/where are the haters now!!" just tells me they're one shocker away from absolute calamity. I genuinely would not be surprised if that calamity occurs this weekend.
Scomo has many backslappers in the media but he’s going to need plenty of lube.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A few takeaways:
Hopefully he's sending signals that if we move on Hinkley he'd available for the Port job.

As part of a wider defence of David Noble on 360 last night, David King made the point that coaches rarely survive rebuild phases, and that when you’re right down the bottom and acquiring premium pieces through the draft, you shouldn’t be judged on wins.

“Go on, name them. Clarkson at Hawthorn? Hardwick at Richmond? Hinkley at Port Adelaide? There are very few examples.”

Ah yes, the Hinkley ‘rebuild’ of inheriting a team brimming with first round talent in the sweet spot for age/experience to seriously contend for the next 5-6 years.
Matt Primus bearing the brunt of the rebuild is being erased from history like Shaun Burgoyne's Port career.

'MATT PRIMUS DESTROYED THE CLUB WITH HIS COACHING LIKE A BIG FART BLOWING THE PRECINCT AWAY WITH HIS WINDY FARTS EVERYWHERE AND KEN HINKLEY REBUILT IT FROM LAYING THE CONCRETE FOUNDATIONS TO CONNECTING UP THE NBN ALL BY HIMSELF'

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
At some point and Ken has been good for the club - he has to go. It’s as simple as that. I’m all in for Clarko, think about him wanting to win a flag, if he came to us the players would have already grown an extra leg.
Ken was good for the club in 2013, 2014, and deserved a crack at it again in 2015. Keen football judges at the club should have identified at that point he probably wasn't capable of finishing the job and began the search for the final piece of the coaching puzzle who could take what he and his well stocked football department started, and slam dunk it for a premiership. Sadly, we didn't have keen football judges at the club. If this club was actually living up to its own long established ethos Hinkley would have been amicably "let go" at that point, or moved into a mentoring type role.

Ken was good for the club in 2013, 2014, and deserved a crack at it again in 2015. Keen football judges at the club should have identified at that point he probably wasn't capable of finishing the job and began the search for the final piece of the coaching puzzle who could take what he and his well stocked football department started, and slam dunk it for a premiership. Sadly, we didn't have keen football judges at the club. If this club was actually living up to its own long established ethos Hinkley would have been amicably "let go" at that point, or moved into a mentoring type role.
The club didn't renew club legend Jack Cahill's contract after two years of coaching our initial AFL team because they didn't see him as the coach to take us to a flag but here we are 10 seasons down the track and we are still persisting with Hinkley. As you say the difference is that we no longer have people who understand football and what is required to be successful running the club.

Last edited:
You are taking crazy pills if you believe a list with the likes of Brent Renouf, Jarrad Redden, Mason Shaw, John Butcher, Andrew Moore, Jasper Pittard, Darren Pfeiffer, Cameron Hitchcock, Jake Neade, Campbell Heath, Lewis Stevenson, Matthew Lobbe, Brett Ebert, Nick Salter, Matt Thomas, Ben Newton, Daniel Stewart, Cameron O'Shea, Danny Butcher, Kane Mitchell, Justin Hoskin, Nathan Blee, Sam Colquhoun, Aaron Young, Brendon Ah Chee and a freshly drafted Tom Clurey was getting anywhere near a premiership.

Just imagine how shit hitouts at training would have been. Where was the pressure coming from below? How many of those players went on to have a great career in the AFL?

Not even Clarkson could have coached that group to a flag.
Hinkley has literally never had the team looking better than when we had those players on the list!!!

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

How many players from any AFL team have you ever heard or seen interviewed where they publicly stated anything but positivity towards a coach and club officials ?
How many players have played 10 years under a coach who hasn't won anything, and has never come close to winning anything. and who the admin are desperate to keep for another 1.5+ years.

Like, just say nothing instead of crediting him with **** knows what. We're 3-5.

How many players have played 10 years under a coach who hasn't won anything, and has never come close to winning anything. and who the admin are desperate to keep for another 1.5+ years.

Like, just say nothing instead of crediting him with fu** knows what. We're 3-5.
It is indeed a ****ed up situation. But no player is going to bag a coach and club on the national stage.

This is how I see it. We have our club that is not controlled by its public members, it is effectively run by a megla maniac and the AFL-VFL/Vic government. he tells us that the AFL does not make the decisions, he does! That within itself says it all, doesn't it.

Sadly from day one we have been used as a pawn, the VFL knew there was no chance the SANFL would allow us to do what we tried to do. In effect it got exactly what it wanted!

We have suffered pain in many ways from day one, the SANFL has ****ed us many times over, the AFL doesn't really give a flying toss about us, as long as we are a stable entity, it wouldn't care if we never win another premiership. That's the sheer reality, we need to change this by somehow clawing back control and putting seriously driven people in the rite places. Believe me, it is killing me as much as the rest of us to see our club go thru this phase.

The club didn't renew club legend Jack Cahill's contract after two years of coaching our initial AFL team because they didn't see him as the coach to take us to a flag but here we are 10 seasons down the track and we are still persisting with Hinkley. As you say the difference is that we no longer have people who understand football and what is required to be successful running the club.
We sacked Russell F*cking Ebert after 5 years and he made finals in 3 of those years including coaching us to a GF.

I think you hear what you wanna hear, Clarko seems pretty clued in on players from a number of clubs.
I thought the same thing he reeled off the names of a lot of players from a lot of teams. My takeaway was that he’d take the best offer presented to him and perhaps he’s not limiting himself to coaching. If he thinks Brisbane and Freo are the real deal, and Collingwood and Carlton have new coaches I guess it’s Suns, GWS, North, us, Tasmania, Eagles. I reckon if Tassie’s bid is successful he’s their guy, he’s been very clear that he wants Tassie to get off the ground and that he’d love to be involved. If they’ve paid for him to do all the US travel they must have plans for him that extend beyond spending time with the Green Bay Packers and the Warriors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back