Autopsy Sydney Legacy in Grand Finals continues 10 goal loss to the Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

Everyone deserves to be whoever they want. Be angry. Be emotional. Be disappointed. Be pessimistic. Be optimistic. Be whatever the **** you want. It sucks. It could be worse. Next year could be great. Right now for me it sucks.
Can I be in my own bed not having paid over 5k to relive a constant nightmare with these pretenders? That's what I would like to be right now.

If we were to somehow shake away the mental demons and continue to be a top 4 team in 25, we're better off coming into the finals sitting in the 3rd or 4th positions rather than as minor premier.
We accept the tag of the hunted far too ****ing easily. Early in the year as the hunter we brought a lot of heat for 4 qtrs, but as the season progressed it whittled away to just bursts for a qtr here and there with players publicly speaking about how 'we were the hunted now', blah, blah when we hadn't really achieved anything. It was a self inflicted form slump, and despite making the GF we never really got back to those hunger levels.

But I don't agree they weren't trying. They absolutely were, but they were just comprehensively outplayed, across the park, for most of four quarters.

If that was the case we dont win 19 games for this season there is again not a 10 goal gap between 1st and 2nd.

I bet my house if we played Carlton/Dogs/Collingwood today heck i will even throw in Hawthorn we lose.

If we were to somehow shake away the mental demons and continue to be a top 4 team in 25, we're better off coming into the finals sitting in the 3rd or 4th positions rather than as minor premier.
We accept the tag of the hunted far too ****ing easily. Early in the year as the hunter we brought a lot of heat for 4 qtrs, but as the season progressed it whittled away to just bursts for a qtr here and there with players publicly speaking about how 'we were the hunted now', blah, blah when we hadn't really achieved anything. It was a self inflicted form slump, and despite making the GF we never really got back to those hunger levels.

No makes no difference we finished 3rd in 2022 and same shit

I'm no master strategist but maybe they'd have been better just going man on man from the word go. Lions had a far tougher road to get there and probably would have run out of juice quicker. Instead, they just carved up that zone nonsense and we never seemed to try anything different.
This. Don't get why we didn't man-up. Back to basics and make them work for the footy.

Mentally shot

Need huge changes to change this

Just to go out with a whimper. Again.

Beaten by a team outside the four. Again.

Playing an injured player. Again.

Game done and dusted at half time. Again.

If we go undefeated in 2025, we would still lose the GF.

So disappointed
I think you have summed it up very well here. We have learnt nothing.

Then make it again in 2026 to lose by 40. We are gaining 20 odd points each time since '22. Based on this logic, Swans will win extra time in 2030.

Will be a draw and then we'll lose the replay :)

That was because the defenders were in a zone and you could see it unfold, rampe was spare but forard Melican And Mccartin running ahead, Lloyd had to leave a man to run and make that contest at all.

For the dont blame the coach comments you see, what the **** was the defensive zone shit

Zone defence, instead of man on man, against a team whose game plan is fast and skilful kick-mark is impossible to understand.

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com

Another thing that pisses me off mightily is the implications for the game in the non-traditional states.

Even if we'd lost, if we'd had a belter today between the two "NRL" states, just imagine what that would do for the code in NSW and QLD. There's a reason people were jokingly calling today State of Origin.

Sydney and Brisbane slugging it out in a game that is far faster and more acrobatic than rugby league, before a capacity crowd, in a whole other state? Who wouldn't have their head turned by that.

It's great that a team from Sydney keeps making the AFL grand final, but not great at all that a team from Sydney keeps losing the AFL grand final so badly.

What non-committed sports fan from Sydney would look at the 2014, 2022 or 2024 grand finals and go "You know, I might check this Aussie Rules out! I LIKE the look of it!".

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do we need a new sports psychologist? Is that where we're being let down? Isn't it their job to make sure our players are mentally hard and ready for this game?
Absolutely. It's something you CAN control. The boys should be hitting that first bounce breathing fire.

Heinous.

You feel like giving up on footy in a way, because how are we actually ever going to win a flag? We can't even gather our heads enough to even be competitive, let alone good. It'll be in the boys heads now, and it is officially "a thing." So, that'll be fun.

Thank you Rowbottom for showing up. Worked his absolute arse off, the only guy bringing real heat. 19 touches, 10 clearances and 12 cont. possessions is a genuinely good game. The only guy who looked capable in the contest, and his goal was clutch. So kudos to him. Fox, Florent & Grundy tried hard but had no real impact.

Defence a shambles, not enough winners in the midfield, just nothing at ground level inside 50.

Yuck, yuck, yuck.
We’re not with this list. Mentally weak. Whoever the club psych is should be looking for a new job Monday along with Horse, most his assistant coaches, and the budget tribunal lawyer.

We lose to any top 8 team today there is nothing more certain
Richmond fans would have backed themselves in at the MCG today. You have to be in it to win it.

All other 16 clubs can say "oh we would have done better" but the truth is they could of, should have, they didn't and weren't good enough to be there just like we aren't good enough to win it, be there yes, win it no.

What's a sports psychologist get paid in Sydney? $200k? Whatever it is, double it and find the best ****ing psychologist you can and look everywhere, don't stop at the Australian boarder, go as far over seas as you have to.

We’re just too nice of a club. We have no mongrel. We even lay down after the AFL gave us a trade ban and didn’t fight it hard enough. I’m sick of being the nice club. Recruit some arseholes with mongrel. Maybe Jake Stringer could be that, who knows, but stop being so ****ing nice Sydney

Statistically, we nearly evened out the i50s compared to that in '22 but we had no method i50. Combination of poor execution by mids and lack of effort from the forwards to create options and keeping the Brissy defenders guessing.

But the stat that really makes me angry, 33 tackles only for the game :(
Didn’t we have 45 tackles?
Anyway, still appalling.

Statistically, we nearly evened out the i50s compared to that in '22 but we had no method i50. Combination of poor execution by mids and lack of effort from the forwards to create options and keeping the Brissy defenders guessing.

But the stat that really makes me angry, 33 tackles only for the game :(
I finally totally lost my sh*t in the last quarter when Warner (what an appalling final game for us) yet again bombed it long and high into the forward line in the last quarter. I mean, it didn’t work the previous 50 times we did it but what the hell, let’s give it one more try!

I finally totally lost my sh*t in the last quarter when Warner (what an appalling final game for us) yet again bombed it long and high into the forward line in the last quarter. I mean, it didn’t work the previous 50 times we did it but what the hell, let’s give it one more try!

and we were all saying pregame "don't kick it long and high against Brisbane as Harris Andrews will destroy us if we do" and yet somehow randos on bigfooty have more tactical knowledge than the Swans coach and players.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Sydney Legacy in Grand Finals continues 10 goal loss to the Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

Back