What They're Saying - The Bulldogs Media Thread - Part 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Have the Canterbury Bulldogs received the same complaint? And the myriad other sporting clubs around the country who have made the same cruel choice of mascot?
The Blues is a highly problematic moniker too.

I agree with the point but there are probably about 742 other politically correct things we should be doing before we even consider changing the club emblem/nickname.

And what would we change it to? The greyhounds? (They have long snouts but are also selectively bred to be unusual looking dogs - and most greyhounds seem pretty sad, but that's probably because the ones I know are rescued dogs).

No, I'd lean toward calling ourselves The Antechinuses, if for no other reason than we'd have full justification for using the expression FMD. And Scrag could go to town on it.

(Really appropriate name for the professor who is discussing the antechinus BTW.)

I agree with the point but there are probably about 742 other politically correct things we should be doing before we even consider changing the club emblem/nickname.

And what would we change it to? The greyhounds? (They have long snouts but are also selectively bred to be unusual looking dogs - and most greyhounds seem pretty sad, but that's probably because the ones I know are rescued dogs).

No, I'd lean toward calling ourselves The Antechinuses, if for no other reason than we'd have full justification for using the expression FMD. And Scrag could go to town on it.

(Really appropriate name for the professor who is discussing the antechinus BTW.)

Is Bullgods offensive to anyone...? 😆

Or Western Scrays, just to open a recurrent can of worms on here?! 😲

Have the Canterbury Bulldogs received the same complaint? And the myriad other sporting clubs around the country who have made the same cruel choice of mascot?

I think the main issue is the physical mascot being an actual dog.

But PETA can bugger off

Is Bullgods offensive to anyone...? 😆

Or Western Scrays, just to open a recurrent can of worms on here?! 😲
Being a little more serious for a moment ...

Clubs that lightly cast off their traditions and the trappings of their history will have nothing to fall back on. They will end up like the plastic franchises that have been given the unenviable task of trying to create character and identity.

So if it ever came to a serious attempt to change the club's emblem (I doubt this current exercise will come to much) then the only way I'd contemplate supporting it is if we went back to being called Footscray. We've got to have at least one anchor point to our long 140 year history.

But of course that ain't going to happen after 30 years of Western Bulldogs.

So let's not get distracted by such stuff. Let's just get on with winning flags. Or even winning a couple of finals for a change.

There's always someone who is always going to be offended by anything you do. Best to ignore, IMO.

Sadly this is just another example of an activist group going for an easy target and low hanging fruit rather than tackling the big issues.

Right now there would be thousands of animals on farms and in backyards across the country that are being abused and mistreated and yet they pick some nonsense symbolic argument with a sporting club about their f****** logo.

Same with those tools who whinge about the Melbourne Cup every year. Do you see them protesting at Flemington in mid July? Course not.

Mouth breathers the lot of them. 🙄

From Code Footy, among other media sources:

''The Western Bulldogs and AFL have been left blindsided by an official complaint urging them to abandon the famous Bulldogs name as it promotes ‘suffering and deformities’.''

View attachment 2122612
It was only a matter of time. Can't stop at Bulldogs;

- Cats promote invasive species decimating native wildlife. Gotta go.

- Saints promote a specific religions iconography in a supposedly secular society. Gotta go.

- Demons and Devils promoting satanism. Gotta go.

Being a little more serious for a moment ...

Clubs that lightly cast off their traditions and the trappings of their history will have nothing to fall back on. They will end up like the plastic franchises that have been given the unenviable task of trying to create character and identity.

So if it ever came to a serious attempt to change the club's emblem (I doubt this current exercise will come to much) then the only way I'd contemplate supporting it is if we went back to being called Footscray. We've got to have at least one anchor point to our long 140 year history.

But of course that ain't going to happen after 30 years of Western Bulldogs.

So let's not get distracted by such stuff. Let's just get on with winning flags. Or even winning a couple of finals for a change.

There's always someone who is always going to be offended by anything you do. Best to ignore, IMO.
It may next year to be 100 years in the league and our 101st season? They’ll say a ‘one off’ year, just like we had a ‘one off’ game this season that our name was Footscray and it was very popular. A whole season and if it remains popular we keep it🤞🏼

Real reason Bailey Smith wanted to leave the Dogs​

The star midfielder has spoken out about how he “outgrew” the Western Bulldogs and how he’s trying to fall in love with footy again.

From the HUN Confidential - I can't get past the paywall. Not sure I want to...:p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Real reason Bailey Smith wanted to leave the Dogs​

The star midfielder has spoken out about how he “outgrew” the Western Bulldogs and how he’s trying to fall in love with footy again.

From the HUN Confidential - I can't get past the paywall. Not sure I want to...:p
Maybe Bont could say that? Maybe, but last game I saw Bailey play he kicked it over Naughts and Jamarra’s head 4 times. He has far from out grown this team, he has some work to do yet.
This is a very immature kid putting his bullshit ahead of his football. And what he does outside of football is just vapid bullshit. If he were a true creative, an artist, a skilled tradesman, a nurse, carer etc I maybe could understand. This is just self indulgent rubbish he works on. The people advising him are just users who will cast him off in an instant. Stick with a club and find the essence of mate ship and long term history.

Remove this Banner Ad

What They're Saying - The Bulldogs Media Thread - Part 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Back