Autopsy Wheels falling off? 2 point loss to the Saints

Remove this Banner Ad

We don’t seem to have much by way of contested marking in the side. McLean yes (not today) and Heeney and McCartin but otherwise it’s where we lack. It’s how pressure is relieved against us as soon as they have that first kick out the next kick often ends up marked by the opposition.

Reid was that guy but the ship has sailed there. Francis ha been making them in the twos but not sure he’s the option.

Bit depressing when a team dominates in the air and that’s the option into the forward line we choose every time.

Would I swap Warner for any other player in the game ? No way known but he needs a ****ing rocket and understand there is a time to take the opposition on and do his little goose step thing but there is also a time when you take the best option which the majority of the time is the first option. He needs to understand that he is playing a professional sport at the highest level where the number 1 intent coached into every player in the comp is ****ing pressure!!!!!! They will not let you continually waltz past them. Play with flair by all means but don’t shit on your team mates by showboating like a Harlem Globetrotter. You’re good kid but you are a long way from unstoppable.

I get that but do you want to reign him in? he might become half the player if he doesnt play on instinct.

Definitely agree with your point perhaps with more experience it will come?

Won the inside 50s, won contested, won marks inside 50
less turnovers , more intercepts

27-19 scoring shots

did a lot right

Think what annoys me and is making me stew is that we were lazy ****s and should have won

We didn’t do anything right. It was the same insipid, no pressure performance we dished out last week. We had a good 10 or so minutes towards the end of the first half but otherwise allowed them to completely control the game.

We don’t seem to man up or chase the opposition players anymore, so they were taking those dinky uncontested lead up marks all game, immediately putting us under pressure. And the defence has been woeful the last two games and simply can’t cope with repeated entries. Last week Rampe and McCartin were putrid, this week it was Melican and Blakey’s turn. And I don’t remember a single contested mark to us. I’m sure there were a few, but all I remember is them spoiling every ball and their players running onto it in metres of space. So annoying.

If there is anything less than three players I want Horse sacked. You can be as disappointed in your presser as you like, hold the ****ing players to account.
This is a classic example of how for some reason, Horse is unable to prepare a side for crucial games. 2014, 2016, 2022

Sent from my SM-A546E using Tapatalk

I get that but do you want to reign him in? he might become half the player if he doesnt play on instinct.

Warner's fine the way he is. You do have to take the good with the bad but it's for that reason I stand by what I said in the gameday thread - he is overrated.

Which was taken to mean he wasn't very good, I guess.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was at the Richmond game. We were horrible and still probably should have won.
Last week Freo played out of their skins . We were ordinary but still probably should have won
This week we were dominating and let them back in. Should have won..we lost it .
Definitely some worrying signs but i think we will turn it around.
Maybe that Horse guy might know something about the game..Just bring the pressure and hunger to compete.
out of their skins . We were ordinary but still probably should have won

A major reason we lost is whatever caused this!!! He was sulking with his arms up when Jmac missed and never got back in it. Stkilda shut him down? he was sore?

The guys never ever gone missing for a quarter for us before so he certainly can't be blamed in that sense, but if our best player gets 1 touch when it's up for grabs , then we are ****ed . A rare awful game
IMG_0567.png

I wish that was true- but the annoying part is we did do stuff right and lost like that
I am glad it is happening at this stage of the season when we have time to change things and fix things. Out of bad can always come some good. The players will all learn from this. Hopefully the coaches have some answers. Better now than at seasons end. We have a talented list but I think it is more between the ears than anything else. That can be fixed. Teams have worked us out. We need to evolve and have other plans up our sleeve.

Sounds like mills and Parker might come back next 2

Yep sounded like Horse thinks they will both play at some stage

I thought it sounded a bit of an excuse though- 2 captains missing? i'm

He needs to play the role asked of him nothing more nothing less. You do that the rest takes care of itself. Rein him in ? Of course you do. He needs to know when there are options around him to go to when he is pressured he goes to them rather than turning it over or burning forwards ahead of him. If that makes him half the player then that’s on him. The best teams are teams where every player understands it and Carry’s it out for the betterment of the TEAM. Do I want him to stop taking the game on ? No just play to that strength when it is there. Oh ! And just as a matter of interest Warner was not the reason we were pitiful today. That falls on the whole side. Some individuals just highlighted certain things about themselves that infuriates people that watch the side every week.

I wish there were stats on slip overs. We have a slip or 2 over at a crucial stage most weeks and we slip over far too much, when I watch other games (or our opposition) I barely see a player slip over at all.

That's 2 weeks in a row we've conceded decent scores to teams that really struggle to kick them. Our defence is way off right now.

We were always going to have a slump at some point and it's better now than right before September, but that was a W that should've been put away regardless. It was also a chance to win a close game and another failure there is a worry. Today was a big pissed away opportunity on so many fronts. 2 games clear makes it easier, but if we bring the same shit next week we'll find ourselves in big trouble and right back in the pack with top 4 far from locked in.

A major reason we lost is whatever caused this!!! He was sulking with his arms up when Jmac missed and never got back in it. Stkilda shut him down? he was sore?

The guys never ever gone missing for a quarter for us before so he certainly can't be blamed in that sense, but if our best player gets 1 touch when it's up for grabs , then we are ****ed . A rare awful game
He kept doing the same thing over and over. Burning options on the inside to turn back towards the boundary and get onto his left foot, but in doing so hemming himself in so he was kicking under pressure. He's a great kick of the footy but pressure will reduce even the best to shoddy rushed kicks that don't find their targets.

I think the repetitiveness of this playing out over the first few quarters sapped him of confidence. He usually wants the ball in his hands more than anyone in the team. Not so in the second half.

Like a few others, he needs to remember it's a team.

Ah well, it's better having a form dip now than in a couple of months. At least we have time to turn it around, we're still comfortably the best team in it when at our best.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back