Review Cats drown Hawks by 36 points in Tommas 350

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't know that I agree on point one, yet.

If I were picking a hypothetical Grand Final side tomorrow... We've got Guthrie, Atkins, Tuohy and Dangerfield to come back in. Dangerfield comes in, Clark goes out, that's straightforward.

Guthrie is next cab in... Mullin goes out, I guess, and Bowes and/or O'Connor play back.

Tuohy next. As much as I like Bowes and O'Connor, one of them in a straight swap for Tuohy.

Atkins next... and having already swapped one defender for a midfielder, I don't like doing it again. And I'm not sure who else I'd drop.

One the best parts of this year has been:

1. Collingwood supporters pretending they always hated Ginnivan

2. Hawthorn supporters pretending they always loved him and thought he was hard done by.

It's amazing what a change of colours can do.
The cognitive dissonance is going to give many a nervous tick

I don't know that I agree on point one, yet.

If I were picking a hypothetical Grand Final side tomorrow... We've got Guthrie, Atkins, Tuohy and Dangerfield to come back in. Dangerfield comes in, Clark goes out, that's straightforward.

Guthrie is next cab in... Mullin goes out, I guess, and Bowes and/or O'Connor play back.

Tuohy next. As much as I like Bowes and O'Connor, one of them in a straight swap for Tuohy.

Atkins next... and having already swapped one defender for a midfielder, I don't like doing it again. And I'm not sure who else I'd drop.
It’s supposed to be funny, not serious. It’s from Twitter 😉

Henry was super impressive. He cooked Sicily in that first quarter in particular with a big overhead grab and then the HOB goal highlights. He also out worked Sicily for the toe poke that Hawkins gathered for an easy goal. Sicily got away from him a bit in the second but Henry managed to get back on top and I think he then got reassigned towards the end.

Please remind me who we got for Jordan Clark? He is definitely at his happy place, but tbh, his style and pace is exactly what we lack and desire back there.
It was the pick we used to get Conway plus a third rounder which was packaged up with a couple other picks to the lions for pick 25 which was then used to get Ollie Henry.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was the pick we used to get Conway plus a third rounder which was packaged up with a couple other picks to the lions for pick 25 which was then used to get Ollie Henry.
I LOVE Ollie Henry, thrilled we got him, nothing more to discuss there.

Henry was super impressive. He cooked Sicily in that first quarter in particular with a big overhead grab and then the HOB goal highlights. He also out worked Sicily for the toe poke that Hawkins gathered for an easy goal. Sicily got away from him a bit in the second but Henry managed to get back on top and I think he then got reassigned towards the end.
Him and Amiss were the only 2 players 21 years or under to kick 40+ last year. Think he goes under the radar of how good he is for his age.

You can, I won’t be. He is an outstanding prospect, and will be a genuine star if his body holds up.
Yeah, I agree! It's been a long time since we had such an exciting ruck prospect. Nobody is saying he's going to be in the AA team this year but for a second AFL game that was a seriously impressive showing. I just watched the first quarter again wnd he was so great. Tired as the game wore on, as you'd expect of a young tall, but kept showing up and kept fighting. It's amazing we've done as well as we have over the last decade without real quality in that pivotal role. I'm seeing real potential in Conway as he starts out and it's no wonder fans are getting excited.

Love the respect for scott...

On footy classified kane says “ not even chris scott could get the eagles competitive right now”.

the BEST in the industy!

The key to the season is going to be getting Danger and Guthrie, fit and firing. I am not comfortable going into any game against a top 4 team with that midfield. They are doing a commendable job but we have not come up against any top 8 midfields yet.

Our best 7 defenders are very solid and good enough easily (though no depth there).

Our forward line has no peer in the competition, dynamite.

We are in the race, which is all you can ask for.
Bruhn, Atkins, blicavs, etc. as your best midfielders seems a little weak and compared to some other teams it is. But bring in danger and Guthrie then having them supplementing the big boys then all of a sudden that's looking competitive. With our forward line you just need to break even at worst.

Could you elaborate on that point or aspect please

Im a freelancer/contractor thus Public holidays are just like any other day , if you want to get paid you have to work , and thats what i did today , just finished , so i didnt see the game

But reading this thread/review of the game , alot of players are having said about them that they played well

Thus just 2 points - what were the poor/dissappointing aspects of Geelongs play today , and who were the poorer players for Geel today

When i looked up this thread title to see who had won the game , i wouldnt have been shocked ( given the outs ) if Haw had beaten us , so im very pleased the Cats have banked the 4 pts
While Geelong did plenty of good things I agree that there were moments where Geelong players opted not to contest or chose to corral an opposition player when it was important to close down space. Some of these led to Hawthorn goals. Jack Henry was a serial offender. It's no longer good enough for a backman to just worry about his direct opponent. He needs to kill off an incoming ball to prevent uncontested opposition marks. He should watch Tom Stewart who keeps an eye on his direct opponent but also tracks and often intercepts or punches the incoming ball. JH totally loses track of the ball. He has overtaken Kolo as the weakest link. Kolo has actually been good so far this year. I can see why Geelong drafted Connor O'Sullivan.

Can we just pump the brakes on Conway a little?

I thought he played well for a second-game ruckman, but let's keep it in perspective - he kept Meek honest and had a few good moments, but Meek did win the ruck battle overall... and he's Lloyd Meek, not Sean Darcy, Max Gawn, Tim English or Jarrod Witts.

For my mind, he did enough to keep his spot, and has a really good set of hands, but there's a fair way to go as well.

This board does this all the time - wanting a much-hyped young player to succeed so badly that an ok performance must be talked up as excellent. He was decent, and that's more than enough at this early stage in his career.
you know Toby Conway won't be reading this, right?

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Cats drown Hawks by 36 points in Tommas 350

Remove this Banner Ad

Back