Autopsy 2 point loss vs the Lions!

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't expect us to play exceptional footy in the coming weeks with a makeshift squad. Just concerned now that we might lose the games that we are expected to win. 2 more wins is guaranteed top 2. Just need to grind them out and hope we have a fully fit team come finals.

What has shit me a bit is that we have made no effort to conserve some of our key players. I made the call a couple of weeks back and everyone said that we just need to keep rolling along. And now Jmac, papley and Rampe are out indefinitely with a couple of others limping. Those 3 should have definitely been part of a resting rotation. Paps and Jmac especially have had a heavy load on them all season and was not a surprise that something went ping. I am sensing the same for Rowy, Grundy and Blakey, so kinda happy that rowbum didn't play.

If it's season done for Jmac and paps it will be very hard for us to go all the way, there's no sugar coating it.
I think the resting or managing would have started post next game…reality is there only appears to Rampe who may have suffered a fatigue injury…the rest look like impact injuries which managing plays no role, in fact, even fatigue injuries is debatable. I think it’s a. Moot point.

I disagree. They are hitting form at the right time. We can sugarcoat it all we want, they won and we lost. Yes we got injuries, but that happens. The fact that we were in a winning position again in a tight game and lost it is a concern to me. We have looked amazing when the opposition has wilted against us, but when they haven't, we have failed to win a game. That scares me heading towards September...

Sent from my SM-F936B using Tapatalk
Listen mate you take 6 regular players out of any team & they struggle. You lose two of your best players in a game & you are going to have very tired players in the last quarter. Paps was a huge loss because he gives the mids a break. Today, we played one mid rotation & 2 bench rotations down. That stuffs players in the last quarter. We could have taken our opportunities in the third but didn't & I knew we were up against it in the last because, unlike us, who had two bench players, they had a full bench, they were fresh & they saved rotations for the last.

It was a brave effort against all odds. Even coming in our outs were huge. Rowie is by far the best tackler in the AFL. He is our bssf clearance player in & under. Getting down & dirty every game. Maca is the best winger in the AFL. I don't count Gulden as a winger, more an extra mid.

Mills will be huge next week. Luckily Rowie will probably come back, hairline cheek fractures heal quickly. Gus Sheldrick had a great game in the Twos. So, with Rampe, Paps & Hayward probably out, out ins might look a little like this;

In: Mills, Rowbottom & Sheldrick

On CPH2471 using BigFooty.com mobile app

**** I hope we don’t end up finishing 3rd

What a crappy end to a good year that would be
Top four still good, in fact who finished second if we are third, reckon we bounce them regardless of who and where. Reckon we are good for top two. Playing well bough to navigate 3 wins from here.

I swear we're the only club that gets pinged for 'not 15m', Brisbane did as many 8m kicks as we did, not called once.
I just can't cop that first qtr umpiring, was fine after that....but **** it was terrible early. Directly led to 2 goals for them. We have 4...****ing 4.....of these guys out there.
Yes it's hard and there will be mistakes from them, but there's way too many incidents where they are the only people in the stadium who can't see blatantly obvious infringements. How can all 4 miss the Blakey one, or some of the throws, htbs that happen all game....they can't even spot 1 of the 20 odd throws, you kidding me.

Listen mate you take 6 regular players out of any team & they struggle. You lose two of your best players in a game & you are going to have very tired players in the last quarter. Paps was a huge loss because he gives the mids a break. Today, we played one mid rotation & 2 bench rotations down. That stuffs players in the last quarter. We could have taken our opportunities in the third but didn't & I knew we were up against it in the last because, unlike us, who had two bench players, they had a full bench, they were fresh & they saved rotations for the last.

It was a brave effort against all odds. Even coming in our outs were huge. Rowie is by far the best tackler in the AFL. He is our bssf clearance player in & under. Getting down & dirty every game. Maca is the best winger in the AFL. I don't count Gulden as a winger, more an extra mid.

Mills will be huge next week. Luckily Rowie will probably come back, hairline cheek fractures heal quickly. Gus Sheldrick had a great game in the Twos. So, with Rampe, Paps & Hayward probably out, out ins might look a little like this;

In: Mills, Rowbottom & Sheldrick

Mistakes are more likely both skill and decision when fatigued too.

I think Horse will be positive all week and pump them up

Also maybe teams will think we are cooked now and stop bringing their best effort like it's their grand final

Like Dogs you had a good win,
Port don't you want Hinkley gone and then Pies Dons and Crows just give up

I think the resting or managing would have started post next game…reality is there only appears to Rampe who may have suffered a fatigue injury…the rest look like impact injuries which managing plays no role, in fact, even fatigue injuries is debatable. I think it’s a. Moot point.
Even if fatigue is a moot point - it does still result in 1 game less of being exposed to possible injury.

Rotating players would reduce the chances of mounting injuries to key players.

For anyone saying we can’t win the premiership based off this performance, which one of the 17 other teams would you want to trade positions with?

There is a huge pack of teams fighting it out in high stakes de facto elimination finals every week until the end of the season. While we can afford to wear some losses without it immediately costing us top 4.

Of course nothing is guaranteed, recent form is concerning and our fortunes can go downhill quickly but at this moment in time we’re still in the most favorable spot.
I just say we can’t win the p’ship based on the 2014, 2016 & 2022 performances.
It’s not for interstate teams against a VIC team. That’s our biggest threat.

Umpiring is a dead horse Ted its awful/unpredictability and completely random just gotta hope and get lucky on the receiving end.

Every fan (I do) thinks they get the raw deal

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Easy to say Lions aren’t a threat

They just beat the top of the table and unless we win two of the last five they will finish top not us.

Dogs next week and they look alright at the moment

We will never have an ump in our corner number 12 is a local comp ump here in Brisbane and looks after them.

It’s no longer these slow starts will
Cost us it’s cost us three games in a handful of games.

I don’t take these Brisbane losses well and I’m sick of them getting the home game nearly every year
Lions are not a threat…..it is easy, I think it is true though.

I really hope we don't bring Francis in for Rampe. Some of his kicking in the VFL is just diabolical - we already have a few who gift a goal or 2 every game. My choice would be to play Fox as our 3rd "tall" with the ability to play the Lizard or Mills in the position if Foxy's opponent gets off the leash.

The umpiring today was utterly horrendous.

Of course out terrible finishing is a massive concern. Don't doubt that - but when umpires miss blatant holding the balls and throws three foot in front of them at a critical stage, then its pretty damn well disconcerting. Let alone the blatant holding, scragging and blocking of the Brisbane defence all day long.

Massive effort from the boys - take our chances in front of goal in the third and we will that comfortably. I'm confident we can beat Brisbane at the MCG or at the SCG should we run into them - but far from convinced they are as 'amazing' as the footy media will no doubt pump them up to be all week long now. They fell over the line against a team effectively down 3 rotations, with umpires doing everything to help.

We showed how to beat them at a canter today. Play their own game back at them - short kicks, controlling the footy and don't let their talls down back get into the contest. Without the injuries in the 2nd term, I reckon we would have pumped them by 5 or 6 goals.

Lets hope the injuries aren't too bad and we can reload for next week. Real shame we couldn't get the win - would have all but sealed top 2, and given us genuine opportunity to rest a lot of players the next few weeks.
I agree. I think we would have easily won had not injuries & umpires intervened. If Heens gets paid the holding free where hd was thrown TJ the ground without the ball we win.

Even if fatigue is a moot point - it does still result in 1 game less of being exposed to possible injury.

Rotating players would reduce the chances of mounting injuries to key players.
I understand what you are saying however it just doesn’t make logical sense. Impact injuries happen anytime…I mean some of out biggest injuries recently have been off the field. Don’t play someone so they don’t get injured, well you need a crystal ball to figure out which game they are getting injured in so you can res5 them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy 2 point loss vs the Lions!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back