List Mgmt. 2013 Trade / Draft / Free Agency

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We would only want him if he can stay fit.
If he stays fit his value will go up.

He already turned down longer term contracts (notably from Freo) last year and that was coming off a potential career ending back operation. What makes you think we could entice him over on a contract that isn't much more than base wage?

I would expect we could throw more than that at Gumbleton, there would be some sort of figure we wouldn't go above, but given our circumstances, we'd be a more attractive proposition than Melbourne and the Bulldogs for instance (wouldn't you agree we have more short-term and medium-term upside than either of these teams?), and we may be able to undercut them on price because of it. It depends who wants him really.

I agree the injury situation is a problem. But if he has further injury troubles this year, yes, his price will remain lower, and I would still take a punt on him at the right price. If he manages 15 games a year for us on not a heap of money, he's worth it considering he still has up to 5 or 6 years or more in him.

I Spoke with someone involved with the Sandringham Dragons today. He said that Josh Kelly had "excellent skills" and just knew how to find the footy. Kelly's exceptional running ability was also mentioned. The person I spoke to was confident that Kelly should be available at the Saints 1st round pick (if we do finish around that 12th mark on the ladder).

True - but my point is that we have enough inside mids without lightening pace. He is similar to Ross and Armitage in may ways and doesn't bring something different to the table. I think we need an x-factor player such as a Dale Thomas (although he will be overpriced) . I am happy to be persuaded though because he fits the bill of a tall midfielder with good disposal.

Why isn't he getting a game at Brisbane is my other concern?? Although perhaps Brisbane have as much of a clue about selections as the Saints do at the moment ;)
Thomas is off to the Blues, & at 26 with a recurring ankle issue they can have him..
Prestia, Taylor Adams, Nick Haynes, these are the type of mids, who'll compliment our current list & youth policy..More than likely to become 200 game players..! Nick Haynes at 188cm fits the bill of a tallish mid..

Adams is a ripper, & his attack on the ball is first class..Recently was one of the best against the Hawks & has had consistent season for a 20yr old getting flogged week after week..!

Except the fact that he has to want to go to either Sydney or the Gold Coast. He may be settled in Melbourne, family, commitments etc and his preference, desire is to stay here, therefore we have a huge advantage over both of them.
Feel free to correct me if i'm wrong, because i'm not 100% sure on this but as he's contracted, doesn't that mean that he must go wherever Melbourne tells him to go?

Feel free to correct me if i'm wrong, because i'm not 100% sure on this but as he's contracted, doesn't that mean that he must go wherever Melbourne tells him to go?
I think so, Same as Mitch Brown it's mainly up to the club. Best offer or he stays i think.

i think we can all agree, Patty would have more of an impact than TDL.

At 2 - 6 (and likely to go 8 - 14/ 7 - 15) any downhill skiers are going to get found out unfortunately. When forward 50 entries are limited and haphazard, small forwards who can't/won't go through the midfield, tackle, pressure, chase etc are going to be found out. Geelong can afford to carry 2 or 3 (even with them taking time in the midfield), we cannot.

Does TDL have another year on his contract?
TDL could be anything, unfortunately it'll be in the WAFL..

Unless Melbourne have a slavery clause, I would think as he is under contract if he stays, or goes, it is up to him, as they can't compel him to go anywhere. If he and the club are in agreement, then they will release him from his contract and trade him to their mutual club of choice.

A player has to agree to the trade, Cale Hooker's reluctance to move was why the Mitch Brown rip-off deal didn't go through

i say we throw pick 5 + NDS to GWS for pick 1 in the draft
We give WC our 3rd Rounder + Ray or Jones for Brown
We throw 700k at Luke McGuane as a FA
We trade Curren Ledger and Milera for 3rd rounders

So we end up with something like:
Pick 1, Pick 23 (picks 45/46/47?) + Mitch Brown and Luke McGuane Which will most definitely solve our defensive problems for the next 5 years. Pick 1 and 23 will get us 2 dead set guns.
And what do we loose: NDS + pick 5 + Ray or Jones + Curren, Ledger Milera.

GWS want mature gun players not kids. I think we missed out on Jaeger in this regard but they would probably go for a downgrade deal with a good player and our first rounder.

I want us to be aggressive this trade period, we have room in our cap and obvious holes that need to be filled.

Imagine a backline of:
McGuane / Brown / Gwilt
Dempster / Fisher / Wright

Pick 1, Pick 23 (picks 45/46/47?) + Mitch Brown and Luke McGuane Which will most definitely solve our defensive problems for the next 5 years. Pick 1 and 23 will get us 2 dead set guns.

GWS want mature gun players not kids. I think we missed out on Jaeger in this regard but they would probably go for a downgrade deal with a good player and our first rounder.

I want us to be aggressive this trade period, we have room in our cap and obvious holes that need to be filled.

Imagine a backline of:
McGuane / Brown / Gwilt
mj-laughing1.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Imagine a backline of:
McGuane / Brown / Gwilt
Would it be worth paying 700k for McGuane?

Imagine a backline of:
McGuane / Brown / Gwilt
i really really hope you are joking? you'll put yourselves in a hole there. is better as a 3rd forward.

imo chase a younger player such as astbury or elton. astbury would be a very serviceable forward (imo he seems more comfortable there). elton is very strong over head and has mostly been played at chf. (obviously id rather the tigers keep elton).

if you get brown who will you have to support him? i think you still need a little more height down back

I like this approach Sledge...I'd give pick 5 + almost anyone for pick 1. I would still try to target a young gun mid from GWS or GC...or Parker.
I think McGuane is better up forward?

Stanley + pick 5 for Boyd? Who would do it?

Mitch Brown + Frawly or McGuane would be the ultimate backline. McGuane is an amazing KPP he's peaking coming into his best years and he's a free agent where Spud Junior is contracted so one you have to give a good draft pick for the other you just have to throw some extra cap $'s at to get him over.
I'm not kidding about McGuane he's worth extra dollars as a FA.

And this stinks why? Both clubs have a player that doesn't want to be there and they arrange a trade.

If this was Saints and Suns for Gilbert and Prestia, would we consider it wrong, or sensible, if both wanted to leave and get opportunities elsewhere?

relax, i probably worded that badly. wasnt saying it was a bad thing, just was trying to say thats whats probably happening behind the scenes

Mitch Brown + Frawly or McGuane would be the ultimate backline. McGuane is an amazing KPP he's peaking coming into his best years and he's a free agent where Spud Junior is contracted so one you have to give a good draft pick for the other you just have to throw some extra cap $'s at to get him over.
I'm not kidding about McGuane he's worth extra dollars as a FA.
Oh dear, you weren't joking.
I'm not even gonna start on how much of a spud McGuane is, I'm just gonna ask why you think he's worth as much as Brendan Goddard?

Oh dear, you weren't joking.
I'm not even gonna start on how much of a spud McGuane is, I'm just gonna ask why you think he's worth as much as Brendan Goddard?

Are you sure were talking about the same McGuane? Have you guys been watching him last year and this year. He's a ripper and he's a better defender than he is a forward, their only playing him forward cause they don't even need him up back.

I have a question for the Richmond guy. How much $'s would he be on and what would it cost to get him.

Why on earth would we give up Dal Santo AND pick 5 for only pick 1? Difference between pick 1 and 5 ain't that big. I'd rather keep kid we'd get with pick 5 and keep Dal Santo. Or you know offload Dal for another first rounder.

Are you sure were talking about the same McGuane? Have you guys been watching him last year and this year. He's a ripper and he's a better defender than he is a forward, their only playing him forward cause they don't even need him up back.

I have a question for the Richmond guy. How much $'s would he be on and what would it cost to get him.

Actually they are only playing him forward because he is a complete spud and can't play back..

I like this approach Sledge...I'd give pick 5 + almost anyone for pick 1. I would still try to target a young gun mid from GWS or GC...or Parker.
I think McGuane is better up forward?

Stanley + pick 5 for Boyd? Who would do it?

I would do it. But why in the world would GWS do it???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back