List Mgmt. 2013 Trade / Draft / Free Agency

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good call, unfortunately like quite a few of us after being so spoilt over the past few years, I will admit that I am impatient. Will just have to curb my anxiety.... is it 2014 yet?
Don't think we are stuffed, Unless we again put all the eggs into one basket. Mitch Brown isn't even that good been OK this year i admit but hasn't set the world on fire in his games.

Need to look at other options, Luke Thompson (Adelaide), Matthew Watson (Carlton), Justin Clarke (Brisbane), Nathan Brown (Collingwood), Cale Hooker (Essendon), Tayte Pears (Essendon), Mitch Brown (Geelong), Josh Bruce (GWS), James Frawley (Melbourne, Not out of contract but could be a target), Dylan Grimes (Richmond), Ben Griffiths (Richmond), Luke Delaney (North Melbourne), Lukas Markovic (Western Bulldogs), Michael Talia (Western Bulldogs).

I guess not a lot in that bunch as experienced as brown though, But few good ones amongst it i reckon.. If we put all the eggs into one basket again this year well yeah.. We are screwed. But i think we would be looking at some of those i named personally. Wouldn't surprised me if we are into Nathan Brown, Scotty has a good connection with him but not sure he'd leave the pies.

M.Brown is the most realistic possibility & has played some good footy just recently, but was once again dropped.. Would be coming from a professional culture, & has a good attitude from all reports..

At 24, 195cm & 93kg & with some upside, he's the best available option on my scope..

Automatically would man up on the oppositions best KF each week, freeing up Rhys to go to the 2nd or 3rd tall..

Glass will more likely want another year.. Brown won't cop playing WAFL next year, if he's uncontracted & got us, the Cats & GWS waving $1m+ contracts under his snozza..

Frawley has been a favourite of mine, but his recent attitude & the culture of Melbourne doesn't tick my box..Griffiths is still an unknown quantity, but has shown some glimpses of being capable to take the next step..

Whilst Clarke has been good already for the Lions, i'd expect him to re-sign with them..
N.Brown would hold some interest, Grimes is injury prone, whilst the rest are solid VFL standard..!

Would like us to pick up both Brown & another back up KD such as Griffiths (swap for Simpkin), as that would immediately plug a huge hole currently on our list..

Have high hopes for Ferguson, & eventually see him as a rebounding defender in the Gilbert mould of 09/10.., though not suited as a KD..

Yes to all 4 of those guys. Karnezis is a gun, no idea what Vossy is doing with him. Dominated the preseason and regularly gets 30+ touches in reserves up there.

Voss is killing him, has shown he's capable, but never gets to string a few games to build some confidence..
Have no doubt he will make it, but not under Voss..!
My feeling is he might be on his way home at the end of the year, & could be part of a swap with Gilbert..?? With a surplus of half back flankers, Gilbert might draw the short straw & could be on the table at end of the year..Though contracted for a couple of more years, a fresh start for Gilbert could be a win-win for both players & clubs..??

Voss is killing him, has shown he's capable, but never gets to string a few games to build some confidence..
Have no doubt he will make it, but not under Voss..!
My feeling is he might be on his way home at the end of the year, & could be part of a swap with Gilbert..?? With a surplus of half back flankers, Gilbert might draw the short straw & could be on the table at end of the year..Though contracted for a couple of more years, a fresh start for Gilbert could be a win-win for both players & clubs..??
Would prefer to keep Gilbo, a proven player and a gun at his best. On the good side of age too.

The Suns made an unofficial inquiry about Frawley in the lead-up to their win against the Demons last Sunday week.

The 24-year-old has also been linked to Greater Western Sydney and St Kilda, where his uncle, Danny, played 240 games.

Frawley is regarded as one of the best key defenders in the game in his prime but, like his club, has struggled with his form in the early part of the season.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport...er-james-frawley/story-fn864np2-1226647937604

The Suns made an unofficial inquiry about Frawley in the lead-up to their win against the Demons last Sunday week.

The 24-year-old has also been linked to Greater Western Sydney and St Kilda, where his uncle, Danny, played 240 games.

Frawley is regarded as one of the best key defenders in the game in his prime but, like his club, has struggled with his form in the early part of the season.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport...er-james-frawley/story-fn864np2-1226647937604

Thanks Knives although I find that the Suns and GWS enquire about everyone and the link with Danny Frawley is typical journalistic malaise.

Brown to Geelong is viable but I think we have more $ to play with than they do so we should be in the box seat.

On Karnezis - I would prefer a quick and skillfull outside player who delivers the ball into the forward 50 on either leg. We have Armo, Steven, Ross, Dal to shovel the ball out at clearances. If curren and ledger are around next year then it is another 2. I think Murdoch will end up in the midfield aswell and perhaps Saunders whose kicking and decision making is just ok. I think we lack polish going forward. Ray, CJ, Gilbo are all poor kicks and not what you want bringing the ball into the forward 50. Look at how Webster brings it into the forward 50 - that is what I would want as a forward. We need more of it.

Yes to all 4 of those guys. Karnezis is a gun, no idea what Vossy is doing with him. Dominated the preseason and regularly gets 30+ touches in reserves up there.

Not sold on Karnezis...it's a massive step down in level here in QLD. You have to be good to get 30 touches, but these players have the advantage of being full time athletes with great coaching...its not exceptional IMO.

Polec on the other hand, is defs going to be a good to great AFL standard player. Often injured so hasn't had a great run in the seniors, but shows serious talent. We should have a serious crack, he is from SA though.

I think we should also throw the kitchen sink at Chips and go equally as hard for Watts. Not sold on Brown. I can see how he fills a need for us ATM, but I seriously doubt he is ever going to be an AA KPD - which is what we should be aiming for.

The need for a KP back is obvious and given how hard we chased Mitch Brown, I would assume we would go hard again.

But another area we really should look into to remain competitive is young midfielders about to hit their prime.

I posted it earlier in the season, but Luke Parker from Sydney is the perfect prototype.

He will turn 21 post-season, and is a Victorian. Not many leave Sydney, but surely it is worth a shot. He is tough as nails, he has no problems with the inside ball.

But the greatest area of excitement for him will be watching his outside game grow. He can kick goals, and he can move beautifully to find space. He will start doing it more and more. And the short steps he puts in before streaming away remind me a little of GAJ as he was finding his feet.

Would prefer to keep Gilbo, a proven player and a gun at his best. On the good side of age too.

Yes he is. Thats why he's a good trade. The players we dont like are not good to trade because prospective trade partners dont like them either. So you look at supply and demand.
We have Roberton and Gwilt. Fergason may make the grade, and Dempster will be round for a couple more years, and Sippo may be able to play a similar role to Gilbert.

Really tbarker ? You think Karnezis lacks polish? I look at him and see the midfielder that Scotty (and we as fans) dream Siposs will become.

He is a long, penetrating kick, he hits targets and has great awareness. He isn't an explosive player pace wise but I would compare him to a guy like Brent Stanton or an upgraded Farren Ray in that he runs all day, is smart with his running patterns and has a higher than average endurance.

The reasons he isn't quite cutting it at AFL level are basically the same reasons we've seen Arryn stall this year - he is in and out of the team which doesn't give him the chance to build a consistent base, when he is in the team he get played out of position (Arryn on the wing/hbf and Patty as a forward pocket) or is the starting sub which is totally against his natural game.

Because we already have Siposs in the forward line, Karnezis would have the freedom to roam up the ground and play as a true wingman. Eventually his tank will develop enough to allow him to play in the centre more often.

I wouldn't be giving up more than a third rounder or maaaybe a late 2nd if really pushed (maybe a 3-way trade with one of the SA clubs for Milera?) but I think that, going into an age where endurance will be more and more important due to capped rotations and the need for players to play in multiple positions/roles, Pat Karnezis could be a great asset to the club.

Stats look very similar between Patty (left) and Arryn (right) -

21yr 0mth Age 20yr 5mth​
190cm Height 189cm​
88kg Weight 90kg​
Brisbane Lions Last Drafted By St Kilda Saints
Career Stats for Season Career​
20 Games 21​
5.6 Kicks Per Game 7.7​
2.6 Handballs Per Game 3.6​
8.2 Disposals Per Game 11.3​
3.7 Marks Per Game 4.6​
1.2 Goals Per Game 0.9​
1.0 Behinds Per Game 0.7​
1.6 Tackles Per Game 1.5​
0 Hitouts Per Game 0​
0.6 Frees For Per Game 0.5​
0.8 Frees Against Per Game 0.5​

Yes he is. Thats why he's a good trade. The players we dont like are not good to trade because prospective trade partners dont like them either. So you look at supply and demand.
We have Roberton and Gwilt. Fergason may make the grade, and Dempster will be round for a couple more years, and Sippo may be able to play a similar role to Gilbert.
I don't prefer to trade Gilbo, but like i stated earlier, we have a surplus of half bank flankers..

Roberton in his 8 games & at 21, still has a stack of upside, whilst Gwilt's last two games is a reminder of his skill & composure coming out of defence..Gilbert would be a perfect trade for Prestia with the Suns & i'd even throw in Faz to complete the deal & allow us keep our top two draft picks. (pick 5/6 & 23/24).

Really tbarker ? You think Karnezis lacks polish? I look at him and see the midfielder that Scotty (and we as fans) dream Siposs will become.

He is a long, penetrating kick, he hits targets and has great awareness. He isn't an explosive player pace wise but I would compare him to a guy like Brent Stanton or an upgraded Farren Ray in that he runs all day, is smart with his running patterns and has a higher than average endurance.

The reasons he isn't quite cutting it at AFL level are basically the same reasons we've seen Arryn stall this year - he is in and out of the team which doesn't give him the chance to build a consistent base, when he is in the team he get played out of position (Arryn on the wing/hbf and Patty as a forward pocket) or is the starting sub which is totally against his natural game.

Because we already have Siposs in the forward line, Karnezis would have the freedom to roam up the ground and play as a true wingman. Eventually his tank will develop enough to allow him to play in the centre more often.

I wouldn't be giving up more than a third rounder or maaaybe a late 2nd if really pushed (maybe a 3-way trade with one of the SA clubs for Milera?) but I think that, going into an age where endurance will be more and more important due to capped rotations and the need for players to play in multiple positions/roles, Pat Karnezis could be a great asset to the club.

21yr 0mth Age 20yr 5mth​
190cm Height 189cm​
88kg Weight 90kg​
20 Games 21​
5.6 Kicks Per Game 7.7​
3.7 Marks Per Game 4.6​
1.2 Goals Per Game 0.9​
0 Hitouts Per Game 0​
It was only EIGHT weeks ago, that the majority were saying Seb Ross WASN'T ready..

Well, hasn't he displayed some poise & composure in the last three weeks..

Any coincidence, that SW perservered with him & allowed him to grow some confidence, which is reflected with his recent good form..

Similiar to Roberton who is probably in our top 5 B & F to date, if you don't give them three or four consecutive games, you will never know their capabilities, confidence is everything in elite sports..!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What's so good about Prestia i'm not sold on him as a player we need.

He's in the GC best six each week, & he's only 20..
Not bad numbers for a player who won't turn 21 until next December..
  • 2013 Season Average
    Games Played 7
    • Kicks 14.0
    • Handballs 8.3
    • Disposals 22.3
    • Marks 4.7
    • Hit-Outs 0.0
    • Tackles 3.9
    • Goals 0.3
    • Dream Team 89.9
  • Hailing from Melbourne’s inner northern suburbs, Dion Prestia was taken by the GC SUNS at Pick 9 in the 2010 National Draft.
    Although his Under 18 National Championships with Vic Metro was cruelled by injury, Prestia had previously enjoyed a stellar 2010 TAC Cup season for Calder Cannons one in which he averaged 28 possessions a game.
    Prestia may be small in stature but big in heart, HAVING AN APPETITE FOR HARD WORK.
    Unlike many of his young teammates in 2011, the nuggety midfielder got stronger as the season progressed. Despite being put back in the reserves early, he bounced back strongly to play 14 of the last 15 games.
    In 2012, Prestia started strongly, and worked into some ripping form before some untimely injuries interrupted his season and prematurely ended it after Round 19.
    Prestia averaged 20 possessions a game in 2012, and is part of the nucleus of an exciting midfield.

this stinks like a trade being worked out for prestia. wouldnt surprise me if a straight swap is done

this stinks like a trade being worked out for prestia. wouldnt surprise me if a straight swap is done

And this stinks why? Both clubs have a player that doesn't want to be there and they arrange a trade.

If this was Saints and Suns for Gilbert and Prestia, would we consider it wrong, or sensible, if both wanted to leave and get opportunities elsewhere?

21yr 0mth Age 20yr 5mth​
190cm Height 189cm​
88kg Weight 90kg​
20 Games 21​
5.6 Kicks Per Game 7.7​
3.7 Marks Per Game 4.6​
1.2 Goals Per Game 0.9​
0 Hitouts Per Game 0​

I agree he has those qualities but and I don't mind him but I think we already enough of his type. I think we need more genuine long range speed. He would be competing with Sipposs and Murdoch (perhaps Gilbert) for a spot.

If GC and GWS are seriously inquiring about Frawley we have a next to nothing chance of getting him. They have so much more to offer with a lot of young guns coming out of contract

Except the fact that he has to want to go to either Sydney or the Gold Coast. He may be settled in Melbourne, family, commitments etc and his preference, desire is to stay here, therefore we have a huge advantage over both of them.

And this stinks why? Both clubs have a player that doesn't want to be there and they arrange a trade.

If this was Saints and Suns for Gilbert and Prestia, would we consider it wrong, or sensible, if both wanted to leave and get opportunities elsewhere?

What makes you say this? This is from the Gold Coast Bulletin last week:
Meanwhile, the Calder Cannons product said he would be content to remain a Sun until the end of 2015 at least, as his manager talks terms with the club. "I'm happy to stay because we've improved a lot in the past two years on and off the field," Prestia said.
Obviously to be taken with a grain of salt, but whenever I see him at recovery, hanging with the boys and playing his guts out, he doesn't look like a player that doesn't want to be here.

None of those are midfielders though

True - but my point is that we have enough inside mids without lightening pace. He is similar to Ross and Armitage in may ways and doesn't bring something different to the table. I think we need an x-factor player such as a Dale Thomas (although he will be overpriced) . I am happy to be persuaded though because he fits the bill of a tall midfielder with good disposal.

Why isn't he getting a game at Brisbane is my other concern?? Although perhaps Brisbane have as much of a clue about selections as the Saints do at the moment ;)

True - but my point is that we have enough inside mids without lightening pace. He is similar to Ross and Armitage in may ways and doesn't bring something different to the table. I think we need an x-factor player such as a Dale Thomas (although he will be overpriced) . I am happy to be persuaded though because he fits the bill of a tall midfielder with good disposal.

Why isn't he getting a game at Brisbane is my other concern?? Although perhaps Brisbane have as much of a clue about selections as the Saints do at the moment ;)
i think we can all agree, Patty would have more of an impact than TDL.

At 2 - 6 (and likely to go 8 - 14/ 7 - 15) any downhill skiers are going to get found out unfortunately. When forward 50 entries are limited and haphazard, small forwards who can't/won't go through the midfield, tackle, pressure, chase etc are going to be found out. Geelong can afford to carry 2 or 3 (even with them taking time in the midfield), we cannot.

Does TDL have another year on his contract?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back