• Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

bigman

Premiership Player
Mar 29, 2004
All Parts
AFL Club
Adelaide
When is the NAB AFL Mid-Season Rookie Draft?
The evening of Wednesday, June 2, in the week following round 11. Nominations for eligible players opens at 9am AEST on Monday, May 10 and close at 5pm AEST on Tuesday, May 25.

Watch all the NAB AFL Mid-Season Rookie Draft picks LIVE and EXCLUSIVE on AFL.com.au
and the AFL Live Official App from 6.30pm AEST on Wednesday, June 2

Nicks today saying if the right player is there we may have up to 3 picks
In the mid season draft

he mentioned small forward role and quick midfielder as options they were focusing on

no mention of ruck

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't comprehende.

maybe Nicks has his wires crossed. Kelly didn’t understand the FA process last year. A week or 2 out he said we’d have a look at all of Brad’s offers and make a call from there. When we actually don’t find out anything until the AFL hands us a copy of his actual playing contract with the club he selects. We’ve never been too quick on the uptake.

maybe Nicks has his wires crossed. Kelly didn’t understand the FA process last year. A week or 2 out he said we’d have a look at all of Brad’s offers and make a call from there. When we actually don’t find out anything until the AFL hands us a copy of his actual playing contract with the club he selects. We’ve never been too quick on the uptake.
Tends to happen when you put people in a role they are in no way ready for.

Sounds a lot like we are trying to bluff Hawthorn in to drafting Newcombe first (which they won't do) so we can grab Moyle (which they will).

We are so good at bluffing, I can't see how this can go wrong.
If its a bluff we have poker face Kelly there. How can we miss.

Yeh thats right. If the right player came along we would have up to 3 pick. That to me says we can use 3 picks if we wanted to.
We had that option, but they chose not to put Hinge & Milera on the LTI list. As a result, we will only have 1 selection in the MSD tonight.

What he said was that we could have up to 3, but the choices we've made since then mean that we will only be making 1 selection.

I want a ruck and we bloody well need one, Moyle would be an excellent one to stash and develop as Strachan isn't the answer. We developed ROB pretty well over a long period so can't see why we can't do it again with someone more talented.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We had that option, but they chose not to put Hinge & Milera on the LTI list. As a result, we will only have 1 selection in the MSD tonight.

What he said was that we could have up to 3, but the choices we've made since then mean that we will only be making 1 selection.

so... we could have moved them, looked like we had picks to scare everyone, then passed?

Or Talia, or Crouch (both of whom will not play again this year)

Seriously, 4 players effectively done for the year and we move none on to the LTI and don't bring in any players to bolster the squad.

I just can't understand why.

Seriously, 4 players effectively done for the year and we move none on to the LTI and don't bring in any players to bolster the squad.

Five players if you include Stengle.

I'm not really over the list implications of making a selection, but I thought I heard that if we placed them on the LTI and made more selections then it has implications on our ability to fill those list spots with new talent through the far more talent rich end of season drafts?

If that is the case (and I'm not 100% certain that it is) then maybe they just have much bigger plans for the list spots and don't wont to jeopardize them with 2nd tier talent.

A club with a wooden spoon list needs to be turning over every stone

Hopefully we do here
I guess it depends on how you define turning over every stone in this case.

With a wooden spoon list I want us to turn over every stone to get high NATIONAL draft picks where the actual talent lies and the probability of another list clogger is lower.

People are seriously over inflating the probabilities here just because it's a 'draft'.

There are also a lot of unknowns here (for supporters) compared to the ND. We have hardly seen any footage. We don't know what contact terms players are setting (as opposed to the ND).

FWIW I would like us to go for a speculative small forward and ruck, but I also have seen zero footage of any small forwards and rucks and understand that it's highly unlikely that there will be anything but list cloggers available. Therefore I'm not going not start stamping my feet because we're only going to take 1 pick. I think it's perfectly fine to wait for Hamish's reasoning after the draft.

I'm not really over the list implications of making a selection, but I thought I heard that if we placed them on the LTI and made more selections then it has implications on our ability to fill those list spots with new talent through the far more talent rich end of season drafts?

If that is the case (and I'm not 100% certain that it is) then maybe they just have much bigger plans for the list spots and don't wont to jeopardize them with 2nd tier talent.
I don't see how. Most of these are 6 month deals. If we choose to keep them we keep them. If we don't, we delist them and still have the spot available for the main draft. Unless the player has stipulated 18 months or more on the contract, I don't think it will have an impact.

I don't see how. Most of these are 6 month deals. If we choose to keep them we keep them. If we don't, we delist them and still have the spot available for the main draft. Unless the player has stipulated 18 months or more on the contract, I don't think it will have an impact.
That's what I thought as well, but the podcast I was listening too made it seem like a pick regardless of length has lingering list implications over the following offseason.

Maybe I misheard it, but i'd love it if someone could confirm or deny that. Cause it seems like a much steeper price to pay if true

Last edited:
so... we could have moved them, looked like we had picks to scare everyone, then passed?
More likely they have wargamed the MSD, and decided that the player(s) we were interested in wouldn't be available at our 2nd & 3rd picks, so there wasn't any point in taking more players in the draft.

Talia & Crouch both have projected return dates before the end of the season, so we can't put them on the "inactive list". It's season over for Milera & Hinge, so we had the option of moving them. We chose not to.

Presumably they don't rate the talent which would be available at our 2nd/3rd selections. There's no point in selecting players just for the sake of selecting players. You only select them if you have a short-term need (e.g. Gold Coast need a ruckman), or if you think they have a longer-term future at the AFL level.

Players can nominate (pre-draft) whether they require a 6 or 18 month contract. Players on 6 month contracts are of minimal concern, as we can easily cut them loose at the end of the year if they don't work out. Players on 18 month contract have ND/PSD/RD implications, as we're committed to retaining them on our rookie list for 2022.

Players nominating 6 month contracts are making themselves more attractive to the AFL clubs, but it comes with less job security if they get drafted. The reverse is true for players opting to nominate 18 month contracts.

Nope, that is wrong. The club has all the power, you just don't select anyone that's put an 18 month contract requirement on their head. Just select those thst you can delist at end of year.

Remove this Banner Ad

2021 Mid season draft (June 2nd)

Back