• Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

bigman

Premiership Player
Mar 29, 2004
All Parts
AFL Club
Adelaide
When is the NAB AFL Mid-Season Rookie Draft?
The evening of Wednesday, June 2, in the week following round 11. Nominations for eligible players opens at 9am AEST on Monday, May 10 and close at 5pm AEST on Tuesday, May 25.

Watch all the NAB AFL Mid-Season Rookie Draft picks LIVE and EXCLUSIVE on AFL.com.au
and the AFL Live Official App from 6.30pm AEST on Wednesday, June 2

Nicks today saying if the right player is there we may have up to 3 picks
In the mid season draft

he mentioned small forward role and quick midfielder as options they were focusing on

no mention of ruck

Last edited by a moderator:
Player has to want to come too and he may have no interest on coming down to Adelaide for 6 months with no guarantee.
So basically its not a draft then.. if it is truely a draft, where players nominated for it, then they are nominating to be drafted to any team that wants them..

If they can pick and choose then there aint much point having a draft which is the reverse order of the ladder at the time..

So basically its not a draft then.. if it is truely a draft, where players nominated for it, then they are nominating to be drafted to any team that wants them..

If they can pick and choose then there aint much point having a draft which is the reverse order of the ladder at the time..
You think this doesn't happen in the national draft already?

Interesting. Stengle, Knight and Freeman aren't among the initial 300 nominees for the mid season draft.

Plenty of time before nominations close, I think? Suspect in the case of the former two they'd be looking for concrete signs a club is keen before nominating, and Freeman's got a pretty nice career sorted in player agency so he's probably working through whether he wants to leave that behind temporarily or not.

I did the ladder predictor... I reckon we may be 16th (pick 3) for the MS draft. Our percentage falls under Hawks due to expected heavy losses versus Eagles and Tigers.

View attachment 1126914

there was some poor sap doing ladder predictors around rounds 3-5/6 trying to see how high we could get each round. I remember responding it was a lot of effort for a round 3 ladder. Apparently not for him, he loved doing them and it was easy. Haven't seen it since and now we're predicting how quickly we'll descend to 17th and/or whether Pies or Hawks will remain below us.

Plenty of time before nominations close, I think? Suspect in the case of the former two they'd be looking for concrete signs a club is keen before nominating, and Freeman's got a pretty nice career sorted in player agency so he's probably working through whether he wants to leave that behind temporarily or not.
Have to be in by next week. I'd be fairly certain those guys would know by now if anyone was interested in them.

I'm warming to Brayden Crossley as the bloke I'd target in this. Can't help but feel like most elite state leaguers are state leaguers for a reason, and these are blokes that 'over the hill' AFL players like Broadbent and Gibbs toy with on a Saturday. Crossley feels like the exception.

Averaging 18 touches, 2 goals and 15 hitouts a game playing as a fwd/ruck in the VFL. From the GC academy, so has had plenty of time put into him, and was good enough as a ruck/forward to get a good stretch of AFL games in year one. Been out of the system awhile thanks to ASADA, so there's a risk he's a moron - hopefully he's over his indiscretions.

But I like him. He's a good size. He's physical. He had real potential as a kid which he couldn't harness. And he's still only 21, which is the kind of age where developing rucks really start hitting their straps, so it's not too late. I think he's probably a better ruck than Billy, so good ruck depth, and hopefully just as good a forward.

I'm warming to Brayden Crossley as the bloke I'd target in this. Can't help but feel like most elite state leaguers are state leaguers for a reason, and these are blokes that 'over the hill' AFL players like Broadbent and Gibbs toy with on a Saturday. Crossley feels like the exception.

Averaging 18 touches, 2 goals and 15 hitouts a game playing as a fwd/ruck in the VFL. From the GC academy, so has had plenty of time put into him, and was good enough as a ruck/forward to get a good stretch of AFL games in year one. Been out of the system awhile thanks to ASADA, so there's a risk he's a moron - hopefully he's over his indiscretions.

But I like him. He's a good size. He's physical. He had real potential as a kid which he couldn't harness. And he's still only 21, which is the kind of age where developing rucks really start hitting their straps, so it's not too late. I think he's probably a better ruck than Billy, so good ruck depth, and hopefully just as good a forward.
I can tell you right now the Crows would never pick someone banned by ASADA

I can tell you right now the Crows would never pick someone banned by ASADA

I mean he's done his time, and it was a little bit of coke - nothing intended to be performance enhancing. But I do get that. He's probably the best tall timber available and at an age where he can grow with our group, so I'd hope they consider it. Better than a Knoll or similar who's just a stop gap.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hayden Sampson could easily have been drafted after a good SANFL season for the Panthers and at the Nationals in his draft year, neat little footballer with a good turn of pace and good skills. He'd be the on I'd be most interested in of that lot, also had a good game for SA in the interstate game on the weekend, son of former Crow Premiership player Clay Sampson.

What was the knock on him that meant he was undrafted?

Interesting thought...according to Wikipedia he’s (only) 198cm so he’s a bit undersized as a genuine first ruck option. What’s his leap like?

Just so everyone knows we can't pickup - Knight, Gooch, Stengle or Crocker as clubs can not pickup players they have delisted in the previous year.

Re-drafting a delisted player would be depressing

images.jpeg-1.jpg

Interesting thought...according to Wikipedia he’s (only) 198cm so he’s a bit undersized as a genuine first ruck option. What’s his leap like?

Yeah I think he's 198/99. It's an inch shorter than McEvoy/Goldstein, so not prohibitive, but he's certainly undersized.

It's the same height as Mumford, Nankervis and Stef Martin though. And coincidentally, it's these three he probably shares the most in common with of all AFL ruckmen. They're a bit undersized/not massive leapers, and probably won't be able to dominate the centre bounce, but around the ground when it's a wrestle they're more than fine. Crossley's just a bruiser. Big, physical, makes the oppo hurt, follows up hard at ground level.

Fitness was always the concern with him, so suspect he'd need some time to get that up to scratch to play as a solo ruck. And the leap isn't great. But the three above have all made careers out of being assertive & physical 198cm rucks. He can too IMO.

Haha

Only Trigg returning as CEO could top that

tumblr_p2sz6bGXUv1vbcnq8o1_500.gifv

What was the knock on him that meant he was undrafted?
Size probably,177cm and lightly built and the fact he'd play mostly midfield/wing and recruiters didn't see him doing that at AFL level but for mine he'd be a really good small forward prospect now he's matured a bit, good wheels and offers plenty of defensive pressure and can hit the scoreboard.

Remove this Banner Ad

2021 Mid season draft (June 2nd)

Back