• Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

bigman

Premiership Player
Mar 29, 2004
All Parts
AFL Club
Adelaide
When is the NAB AFL Mid-Season Rookie Draft?
The evening of Wednesday, June 2, in the week following round 11. Nominations for eligible players opens at 9am AEST on Monday, May 10 and close at 5pm AEST on Tuesday, May 25.

Watch all the NAB AFL Mid-Season Rookie Draft picks LIVE and EXCLUSIVE on AFL.com.au
and the AFL Live Official App from 6.30pm AEST on Wednesday, June 2

Nicks today saying if the right player is there we may have up to 3 picks
In the mid season draft

he mentioned small forward role and quick midfielder as options they were focusing on

no mention of ruck

Last edited by a moderator:
More likely they have wargamed the MSD, and decided that the player(s) we were interested in wouldn't be available at our 2nd & 3rd picks, so there wasn't any point in taking more players in the draft.

That would be even worse if we've done that. Imagine deliberately not giving yourself a chance at a player you rate because you reckon you've predicted every other club's moves with 100% certainty. But it does sound like us.

I'm still not sure how he could have done that, given that he wouldn't be able to do so in the ND/PSD/RD. I suspect this is a false report.
It's been reported more than once I think. It seems to be true and it seems like it is allowed.

I'm also 100% convinced if he was an SA kid, playing in our SANFL team, signed with Michael Doughty as his manager and was linked to us, there would be nothing but outrage in the Vic media and allegations of draft tampering.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's no point in selecting players just for the sake of selecting players. You only select them if you have a short-term need (e.g. Gold Coast need a ruckman), or if you think they have a longer-term future at the AFL level.

Even more so if you don't expect that you will be able to give them games

I guess it depends on how you define turning over every stone in this case.

With a wooden spoon list I want us to turn over every stone to get high NATIONAL draft picks where the actual talent lies and the probability of another list clogger is lower.

People are seriously over inflating the probabilities here just because it's a 'draft'.

There are also a lot of unknowns here (for supporters) compared to the ND. We have hardly seen any footage. We don't know what contact terms players are setting (as opposed to the ND).

FWIW I would like us to go for a speculative small forward and ruck, but I also have seen zero footage of any small forwards and rucks and understand that it's highly unlikely that there will be anything but list cloggers available. Therefore I'm not going not start stamping my feet because we're only going to take 1 pick. I think it's perfectly fine to wait for Hamish's reasoning after the draft.

I disagree.

What the MSD effectively acts as is an early shot at the mature age players that would ordinarily be present in the ND/RD at the conclusion of the season.

Before the MSD came into existence, the following players would have been MSD eligible in the season of their draft. There's some bloody good players there. So it's pretty clear - whether they're picked now or at the end of the year, there will be some real AFL level talent available in this MSD pool. We're just electing not to have a shot at it.

2018: Laitham Vandermeer, Nick Hind, Marty Hore, Lachie Schultz, Noah Answorth, Callum Wilkie, Tom Atkins, Jake Aarts, Jordon Sweet,
2017: Tim Kelly, Liam Ryan, Ben Paton, Oskar Baker, Zac Langdon, Liam Baker, Brody Mihocek, Lachie Murphy
2016: Tim English, Ben Long, Tom Stewart, Mitch Hannan, Quinton Narkle, Willie Rioli, Luke Ryan, Rowan Marshall,
2015: Harry Himmelberg, Marcus Adams, Oleg Markov, Sam Collins, Tom Phillips, Sam Menagola, Nathan Broad
2014: Jack Steele, Daniel Howe, Mitch McGovern, Jack Sinclair, Reilly O'Brien, Adam Saad, Kane Lambert, Braydon Preuss
2013: Sean Lemmens, Rory Lobb, Toby Nankervis, Aliir Aliir, Ben Brown, Charlie Cameron,

I don't see how. Most of these are 6 month deals. If we choose to keep them we keep them. If we don't, we delist them and still have the spot available for the main draft. Unless the player has stipulated 18 months or more on the contract, I don't think it will have an impact.
What evidence do you have that most are 6 month deals?

I believe the majority of the highly fancied players are seeking 18 months.

I'm still not sure how he could have done that, given that he wouldn't be able to do so in the ND/PSD/RD. I suspect this is a false report.
I don't this there's any issues is there, ex-afl players can do it like Jack Martin, Luke Ball, Kurt Tippett.

Or is it that he hasn't played before that's the issue?

He has, although I suspect it’s 3.5 years based on media reports, because of a quirk in the conditions of nominating for the MSD.

Remove this Banner Ad

2021 Mid season draft (June 2nd)

Back