Rumour 2023 Rumours and Speculation (Rumours total 33!, 1 BIG FISH ALERT last October 4th) (7 confirmed! 11 Busted!)

Will Clayton Oliver join the Adelaide Crows?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty sure Thompson was retained after Geelong conducted a review on their football department

Hardwick was also retained after a club wide review .. which saw a few assistants moved on (Williams was the main 1) and provided him with more support

Buckley also survived a review and took Collingwood to a GF

Neil Balme played a key role at both Geelong and Richmond after those reviews

Imagine the narrative if Mark Thompson was sacked in 2006 when it was seriously considered and Geelong went on to have a similar record - had all the talent in the world but was holding them back etc...

A decision completely out of his control, whether the board backs him in or not, decides whether he is remembered as a coaching great or one of the worst appointments ever made.
It's an interesting point.
How do you feel Mark Thompson is remembered by the Cats?

IIRC There was media noise about the merits of sacking Hardwick for a fair portion of 2016.....

CBF looking it up now... Job for another time.
IIRC - There was murmours to sack Thompson in 2006, Hardwich in 2016, Buckley 2017.

And all made GF's the next year. 2 of them winning them, and then creating dynasties.

That's what's probably giving Kochie false hope that Hinkley can do the same.

If we lose this weekend, the following week would be a great time to announce his retirement and we could throw a massive "Rory farewell party" at the Sydney game.
most evidence suggests he has one more year. Not sure why the delay, ideally - assuming we are keeping him- we are low balling contract (400k max), half of his reported current contract. As someone who did hold us over a barrel for his 5 year deal , no doubt making him the largest earner our club has ever seen, he needs to understand his diminished playing role and accept it’s time for others to be paid.

I imagine a lot of the value Sloane adds is still on the leadership, mentoring, driving cultural standards side of things. Stuff we can’t quantify by looking at player stats. And he is having as good a year in all honesty as we could expect after ACL. I would be happy to let Rory go but realise his is rated very highly within the walls at West Lakes, and indeed the footy community overall. I will be pi$$ed though if we lose Crouch with Rory staying on

IIRC - There was murmours to sack Thompson in 2006, Hardwich in 2016, Buckley 2017.

And all made GF's the next year. 2 of them winning them, and then creating dynasties.

That's what's probably giving Kochie false hope that Hinkley can do the same.
I had them finishing 2nd with a gap, the last 3 games now look loseable.

Still think they'll win 2 at least, but it's a huge fall from 4 weeks ago and feels a lot worse than preparing for a finals push.

Last edited:
most evidence suggests he has one more year. Not sure why the delay, ideally - assuming we are keeping him- we are low balling contract (400k max), half of his reported current contract. As someone who did hold us over a barrel for his 5 year deal , no doubt making him the largest earner our club has ever seen, he needs to understand his diminished playing role and accept it’s time for others to be paid.

I imagine a lot of the value Sloane adds is still on the leadership, mentoring, driving cultural standards side of things. Stuff we can’t quantify by looking at player stats. And he is having as good a year in all honesty as we could expect after ACL. I would be happy to let Rory go but realise his is rated very highly within the walls at West Lakes, and indeed the footy community overall. I will be pi$$ed though if we lose Crouch with Rory staying on
Doesn't need to take a list spot to do any of that.

Doesn't need to take a list spot to do any of that.
as mentioned I would absolutely let him go - not disagreeing here, esp if its a choice between Sloane or a Borlase or Crouch. But on-field playing presence still does play a role which Sloane undoubtedly does add to (perhaps especially with a new captain who is learning and quite introverted from all accounts).

as mentioned I would absolutely let him go - not disagreeing here, esp if its a choice between Sloane or a Borlase or Crouch. But on-field playing presence still does play a role which Sloane undoubtedly does add to (perhaps especially with a new captain who is learning and quite introverted from all accounts).
At a certain point we need to rip the bandaid off and let this team grow and drive itself without the old guard overseeing it. Even still we're holding younger players back because we want to accommodate someone like Sloane coming into the side, whether he's sub or not.

That would create all sorts of problems, real and perceived

Is a player trying, is he really injured, what about when he plays against his future team?

The law of unintended consequence would be working overtime
Iirc they have this in the NRL?. Could do a deep dive and study how it has worked for them to see what sort of issues have been problematic.

Hardwick was also retained after a club wide review .. which saw a few assistants moved on (Williams was the main 1) and provided him with more support

I think this is the way to go for most clubs - clear out the assistant coaches while retaining the head coach.

Media and fans don't really care about the assistants and outwardly the club still seems stable.

I think this is the way to go for most clubs - clear out the assistant coaches while retaining the head coach.

Media and fans don't really care about the assistants and outwardly the club still seems stable.
Maybe.

On the other hand isn't that what has happened at Port, though not necessarily by choice?

It's going to be interesting if Ken gets an extension and Carr moves to a senior role next year at Richmond for example. Though clearly you'd think they're going to have some list challenges as well going forward in the short term.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe.

On the other hand isn't that what has happened at Port, though not necessarily by choice?

It's going to be interesting if Ken gets an extension and Carr moves to a senior role next year at Richmond for example. Though clearly you'd think they're going to have some list challenges as well going forward in the short term.
Carr is clearly coaching them game day at the moment, while Ken is cheer leading on the bench.

With all these retirements you woukd think Sloaney is being asked to consider it.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Sloane is a warrior. He only sees the competition. Unfortunately self-awareness is not a strong suit.
He's going to have to be told - he won't do it himself.

Sloane is a warrior. He only sees the competition. Unfortunately self-awareness is not a strong suit.
He's going to have to be told - he won't do it himself.
Agreed, we need to make the call soon as he wont do it himself. We want the fan base to be able to celebrate him at the final home game.

We are the only professional sport in the world that tolerates failure by coaches. I actually think our current culture in this space is poor. It means we condition ourselves to thinking there is no one better, so better the devil you know.

Soccer is brutal. I know of a Real Madrid coach who went a whole season undefeated, won all the trophies but was sacked because the team wasn't entertaining enough. I dont think football should go to that extent because thats absurd, but I do think clubs should role the dice more. 5 years should be around the maximum for any coach at a single club if they aren't winning premierships. That sort of thing.

As much as we have the best sport, we are a blip in terms of dollars and professionalism. Hence we have a governing body that tinkers with rules each week and changes rules to fit scenarios as issues arise

Imagine West Ham or the Arizona Cardinals getting pick 2 as a priority pick in the draft ?

We are a cottage industry style product - albeit a great game

So yes we probably do tolerate “failure” because the money and depth of talent isn’t available to flick people at a minutes notice

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back