2nds 2024 Adelaide Crows SANFL thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Id imagine JL is probably playing for minimum chips after a decade in the AFL system.
If You Say So Yes GIF

Not the same response when they turn up at aThe Parade

Not the same response when they turn up at The Parade
Because they generally didnt start there, or come back to play with their brothers.

And they havent been found to be breaching salary cap rules or have a major benefactor get pissed in a building of his own name telling everyone how much money he spends.

When guys like Panos, Fuller, Georgiou etc came back they did they same as what I imagine JL does.

Because they generally didnt start there, or come back to play with their brothers.

And they havent been found to be breaching salary cap rules or have a major benefactor get pissed in a building of his own name telling everyone how much money he spends.

When guys like Panos, Fuller, Georgiou etc came back they did they same as what I imagine JL does.
John Candy Reaction GIF

i ask, respectfully, how on earth are glenelg fitting all these blokes under the cap, with still a few more guys rumoured to be coming in and no significant departures yet?

sorry, forgot snook retired. possibly curran and proud as well?
With a cap of $295k these guys aren't playing for money. Glenelg are in the middle of a strong era and a winning culture will attract. If there are coaching opportunities or employment opportunities via the club and its members, that would be a strong lure as well. Plus, in Lyons case, he gets to play with his brother. He'll be a very good pick up for Glenelg and they'd have to be early favourites to go three in a row unless the Crows and Port Reserves have a good run with injury and their AFL go deep in September.

With a cap of $295k these guys aren't playing for money. Glenelg are in the middle of a strong era and a winning culture will attract. If there are coaching opportunities or employment opportunities via the club and its members, that would be a strong lure as well. Plus, in Lyons case, he gets to play with his brother. He'll be a very good pick up for Glenelg and they'd have to be early favourites to go three in a row unless the Crows and Port Reserves have a good run with injury and their AFL go deep in September.
Shhhhh lets let the Norwood fans whinge.

Apparently theyre signed Pistol Parnell as well.

Shhhhh lets let the Norwood fans whinge.

Apparently theyre signed Pistol Parnell as well.
Makes you wonder why Gibbs wanted to play for a loser club in South.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

sure and i dont doubt that and im not saying they're cheating the cap, but if they keep hold of most of their side and are adding lyons, partington, parnell, baldwin, that's as stacked as i can recall seeing an sanfl side. sturt in a similar situation if they keep hold of most of their guys with who they've added so far.

sure and i dont doubt that and im not saying they're cheating the cap, but if they keep hold of most of their side and are adding lyons, partington, parnell, baldwin, that's as stacked as i can recall seeing an sanfl side. sturt in a similar situation if they keep hold of most of their guys with who they've added so far.
It's about having a successful environment to want to come back to.

We poke fun at Norwood but the reality is they've done the same thing. When you win and you've got a great player culture players want to come back to.

All those guys you mentioned outside of Parnell are Glenelg juniors too. Lyons probably paid as many games for Glenelg as he did Adelaide

I know the SANFL cut the cap during COVID. Out of interest, what was the cap before then?

From what I heard from blokes I knew in the system, they took a while to raise the cap post-COVID, which pushed a fair few guys towards Country leagues.

I know the SANFL cut the cap during COVID. Out of interest, what was the cap before then?

From what I heard from blokes I knew in the system, they took a while to raise the cap post-COVID, which pushed a fair few guys towards Country leagues.
The SANFL Salary Cap in 2019 was $400k.

Reduced to $0 in 2020 and then $210k in 2021 due to Covid.

The salary cap had raised to $345k this year and was to be $360k in 2026 and $375k in 2027 according to an article in The Advertiser in November 2023.

After the recent review of AFL player lists for Port and Crows in the SANFL, the salary cap for 2025 has been reduced to $295k.

The salary cap was $400k back in 2008, reduced to $360k in 2012.

It was $305k from 1999 to 2005.

As a comparison, the AFL cap was $4.25 million in 1999. It will be $17.76 million in 2025 and by 2027 will be $18.44 million.

The rich get richer...

The SANFL Salary Cap in 2019 was $400k.

Reduced to $0 in 2020 and then $210k in 2021 due to Covid.

The salary cap had raised to $345k this year and was to be $360k in 2026 and $375k in 2027 according to an article in The Advertiser in November 2023.

After the recent review of AFL player lists for Port and Crows in the SANFL, the salary cap for 2025 has been reduced to $295k.

The salary cap was $400k back in 2008, reduced to $360k in 2012.

It was $305k from 1999 to 2005.

As a comparison, the AFL cap was $4.25 million in 1999. It will be $17.76 million in 2025 and by 2027 will be $18.44 million.

The rich get richer...
Thanks Glen.

That's staggering. When you consider $305k in 1999 would be basically double in today's money...

I'd have thought increased concessions for Crows and Port would lead to upgraded salary caps, rather than the other way?

I'd be interested to know how this compares to WAFL clubs too. It definitely seems like the AFL need to provide more funding.

Thanks Glen.

That's staggering. When you consider $305k in 1999 would be basically double in today's money...

I'd have thought increased concessions for Crows and Port would lead to upgraded salary caps, rather than the other way?

I'd be interested to know how this compares to WAFL clubs too. It definitely seems like the AFL need to provide more funding.
The WAFL cap is increasing from $245k up to $285k by 2027 and the VFL salary cap for standalone clubs is $220k.

The minimum wage has gone up from about $20k in 1999 to over $47k now.

I would imagine the time and effort required of an SANFL footballer these days is at least equal to what it was in 1999 and most likely more.

There should be room in the AFL TPP for players in the major 2nd tier comps. It would be a drop in the ocean from the AFL TPP to subsidise each standalone SANFL/WAFL/VFL club to reach a salary cap of $500k.

Remove this Banner Ad

2nds 2024 Adelaide Crows SANFL thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back