2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Hardly sighted yesterday, Smith, Reid, Smillie, Langford, Berry,Lalor, Lindsay and Ivisic all had better games in midfield IMO.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app
Wasn't great was it? Sure, he has had a very disrupted season but fitness and class shouldn't go away from a busted up finger. Could be countless reasons for a bad outing or two, which is why we pay recruiters good money to watch them for years.

Hardly sighted yesterday, Smith, Reid, Smillie, Langford, Berry,Lalor, Lindsay and Ivisic all had better games in midfield IMO.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app
The reason why he is top of my realistic draft board.

You say he was hardly sighted - I would agree aswell watching.

Reality. 25 disposals

That game has honestly changed so much. Moraes looked like a lock for top 12, now I feel hes a chance to drop to our 2nd. That would be a steal

FOS could be a major slider if he keeps this up in the Talent League, 7 disposals is crazy poor. Needs a 30+ disposal game to reassert himself otherwise we might see him in RWB next year with Jagga Lalor Draper all to climb by one

Tom Gross has been wasted up forward by Metro - looked top 10 last year. Then top 20 when he started playing forward. Now so many others have overtaken him, could be mid 20s

While I’m all for maximising our draft position, losing to WCE and Richmond would be horrendous for morale and the media would be coming hard for Ross and the team. The only out would be if we put half the team in for surgery
Bring Allison in. Done.

Reality. 25 disposals

No was talking about FOS, seven ticks on my completely unscientific marking system for Jagga Smith.

Shifter Sheahan was saying he was a contest beast and had 8 contested possessions in the third.

I like the look of Reid, Smith, and Smillie

No was talking about FOS, seven ticks on my completely unscientific marking system for Jagga Smith.

Shifter Sheahan was saying he was a contest beast and had 8 contested possessions in the third.

I like the look of Reid, Smith, and Smillie
Smith is also captain of Metro so has leadership qualities. Plays like one too, unlike a certain captain in the AFL…

Reality. 25 disposals

Smith looks elite in this package:
  • Phenomenal poise and agility
  • hard at it for a lightly built guy
  • Has a great ability to lift his head and sum up his options before disposal.
  • whilst not electric speed he looks sharp in the first few steps.
  • Great self confidence to take it on and have a bounce.
  • solid overhead for a smaller guy and more than adequate disposal.

Would be hard to go past this guy at our 1st pick

Last edited:
IF we were to get the compo pick, and we were to trade it for two later first round picks.

We could potentially get:
Lalor or Draper
Gross
Hotton
Reid or Lindsey. ( I keep seeing people who think we have the GWS pick, but i think we have the Crows pick ).

The last game was a ripper but a few were pretty ordinary matches early. I still like the look of this draft gringo, I know there’s no Reid type this year but just as often there’s a few bits of eye candy and then it drops way fairly quickly. This year looks to me like we’re starting around pick 4 but the first round has double the normal number worthy of having their names called.

If we get three maybe four picks in then take our academy boys this could be another great draft for us.

I have said all along. Nothing wrong with the depth, just the real high end isn't that deep or strong. It reminds me most of 2017. There is some absolute guns in the first round and some absolute busts and a really strong lot between pick 21 and 31.

Ivisic caught my eye on Sunday. I havnt seen him in any rankings. Will be interesting to see where he ends up. I reckon Geelong would be all over him

He's played well in all the games I've watched. There are heaps of players that could go in the second round that probably drift a bit later on. This feels like a draft where quality could be found in the 50s and maybe the 60s.

That game has honestly changed so much. Moraes looked like a lock for top 12, now I feel hes a chance to drop to our 2nd. That would be a steal

FOS could be a major slider if he keeps this up in the Talent League, 7 disposals is crazy poor. Needs a 30+ disposal game to reassert himself otherwise we might see him in RWB next year with Jagga Lalor Draper all to climb by one

Tom Gross has been wasted up forward by Metro - looked top 10 last year. Then top 20 when he started playing forward. Now so many others have overtaken him, could be mid 20s

It's a draft where you could end up with the best player in the draft with your second round pick. Moraes has been a bit ordinary but he had that one quarter where he absolutely dominated. He's an interesting one. He's got some unique traits and just needs to get his consistency up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Everyone crying out for a pure mid. Jagga is that. Dalrympel k loves a bolter tho.

He sort of is he's definitely very good there in his underage cohort. His game is about shimmying out of traffic.
He does it different to most but the question is around how much less of a weapon his movement is in the AFL. I'd still take him if he's there at our pick because there isn't much else I love.

Langford and Murphy Reid are probably more gun proper mids. Both won their Champs MVPs in good midfield set ups. Not sure either are in our sights or range but particularly Langford looks like what we need.

He sort of is he's definitely very good there in his underage cohort. His game is about shimmying out of traffic.
He does it different to most but the question is around how much less of a weapon his movement is in the AFL. I'd still take him if he's there at our pick because there isn't much else I love.

Langford and Murphy Reid are probably more gun proper mids. Both won their Champs MVPs in good midfield set ups. Not sure either are in our sights or range but particularly Langford looks like what we need.
Surely good movement is one of the traits that transfers to AFL level relatively seamlessly? Harley Reid Butters Rozee JHF NWM have all done it exceptionally off the top of my head, while the fleet-footed small forwards of recent times that chip in in midfield also very good

What's your take on Lindsay?

Surely good movement is one of the traits that transfers to AFL level relatively seamlessly? Harley Reid Butters Rozee JHF NWM have all done it exceptionally off the top of my head, while the fleet-footed small forwards of recent times that chip in in midfield also very good

He’s not fast exactly more nimble

Liked his last game. Hadn’t taken notice before but he looked awesome. Playing a BOG game in metro v country match is big time. Rate that highly.

Lads a curious question if I may .
If you land with say 5 and 6 in this draft is your list deep enough to throw those pick plus a future first for Reid or do you need a number of players to fill holes ?

I've kept tabs on Lindsay this year, he reminds me of Riley Hardeman last year except with midfield capabilities. Just a good half back/mid with very good kicking skills, not many other standout attributes. Early in the year he was considered one of the best kicks in the draft. Still think he's a teens pick, not really a game-winner, more a productive type that ticks along. I think he'll be taken by a club that has a need for the type of player he is, rather than going for best available and him being the one they take if that makes sense

An underrated prospect from Vic Country is Cooper Hynes (number 30). He'll be available around our pick 25 - had a 32 disposal game against the Rebels in Round 3, a 23D 5.1 game vs Suns Academy in Round 6, a 27D 4.0 game vs Lions Academy in Round 8, 35D vs Rebels in Round 10, 3.1 27D vs Chargers in Round 11. 190cm midfielder/forward. Not a superstar, but is another creative centre forward player who's fallen behind the shadow of Harvey Langford

Round 1: 25D 0.2 scoreline
Round 2: 21D 0.2
Round 3: 32D 1.2
Round 4: BYE
Round 5: BYE
Round 6: 23D 5.1
Round 7: 22D 0.0
Round 8: 27D 4.0
Round 9: BYE
Round 10: 35D 1.0
Round 11: 27D 3.1

I'd say he's a better version of Charlie Edwards from last year...

Last edited:
Lads a curious question if I may .
If you land with say 5 and 6 in this draft is your list deep enough to throw those pick plus a future first for Reid or do you need a number of players to fill holes ?

The word generational is thrown around far too often, but for Reid, it's possibly warranted.

3 likely top 10 picks is too much for anyone especially considering our list resembles Swiss cheese.

I'd give up a lot, but 3 potentially elite top 10 picks is too much to consider.

Smilie's champs games have made him very unappealing. For a guy who was going pick one a few weeks ago, I'd be disappointed to get him now. Seems to be an average mid and an average forward. Draper look much more appealing and I don't love him as much as others do.
Hey Gringo, I think its really interesting how recruiters view the champs. Usually I am much more obersvant, however this year been much less able to. Anyways then point is genreally pure numbers are not as important , especially at the champs. Decision making, cleanliness, playing a role. Etc etc is far more important.

Most players have their numbers decrease.

Sheezel a great example. Also many get moved off their normal roles.

Darc Wilson an example of this. Played on the ball for Murray. At champs was pushed onto a wing and up forward.

Again it’s far more about showing attributes than pure numbers.

Also how they finnish the season is massive.

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back