Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

not much on Gettable today, someone asked what the likelihood of Hawks getting both Battle and Smith done to which Cal said Battle more likely than Smith. Said he is hearing Smith more likely to head to Geelong and then speculated that Hawks would be offering more than Geelong but it would take a strong change for Smith to head to Hawks
All sources close to that one at Hawthorn have shut up shop. Read into that what you will.

not much on Gettable today, someone asked what the likelihood of Hawks getting both Battle and Smith done to which Cal said Battle more likely than Smith. Said he is hearing Smith more likely to head to Geelong and then speculated that Hawks would be offering more than Geelong but it would take a strong change for Smith to head to Hawks
smith wanting to go to a club where he's the only one with any personality? 🤫😏

Personally I have cooled on Smith (opening myself for people to say of course you have now that it's looking less likely) but the more I see of Worpel's year the more I'm convinced Smith is not enough of an upgrade to throw the kitchen sink at.

If it is pure midfield time he wants I am not sure we would be willing to offer it to him. The midfield currently is operating at a level that is more than the sum of its parts. Smith might be a 'better' part on paper but I am not sure it improves the total unit. (shoutout Nash he is a huge reason for this).

I have full belief in Josh Ward and Mackenzie to be serious contributors at minimum, and if we take another high draft pick (probably a KPF if it makes sense in our range) then I think that goes further to ensuring we can keep a premiership window open for a long time.

Best of luck to him at Geelong if he goes there, even though I absolutely despise them I very much enjoy the rivalry which is at its best if both teams are up and about.

Personally I have cooled on Smith (opening myself for people to say of course you have now that it's looking less likely) but the more I see of Worpel's year the more I'm convinced Smith is not enough of an upgrade to throw the kitchen sink at.

If it is pure midfield time he wants I am not sure we would be willing to offer it to him. The midfield currently is operating at a level that is more than the sum of its parts. Smith might be a 'better' part on paper but I am not sure it improves the total unit. (shoutout Nash he is a huge reason for this).

I have full belief in Josh Ward and Mackenzie to be serious contributors at minimum, and if we take another high draft pick (probably a KPF if it makes sense in our range) then I think that goes further to ensuring we can keep a premiership window open for a long time.

Best of luck to him at Geelong if he goes there, even though I absolutely despise them I very much enjoy the rivalry which is at its best if both teams are up and about.
me as well.
Our midfield stocks are quite deep now and although Smith would be an awesome get, he may cost too high a pick. A lot may depend on getting one or two FA's to spend our money for now. Ward, Frenchie and Hustwaite will all be very good AFL players IMO.

I do like the depth of this current draft and feel there will be multiple options for us in the 10 to 20 range.

We do need to fast track a little and bring in more top and ready players, however. It will be an interesting wait.

I agree that he is less of a necessity now than a couple months ago but i do think he is maybe more exciting of a prospect.

We no longer need him to come in and be our great hope and turn our list around. We are in a really solid position and he can just be the icing on the cake. Also i still think he brings something our midfield lacks. Line breaking ability and also flexibility. I agree we have a decent crop of mids but that is why i think it is important to find mids who can fill a need elsewhere. He can play wing/on ball/HFF. I think that is more important when we have a group of on ballers all demanding CBA's.

At the end of the day Smith is not going to make our break our hopes going forward but i do think he would be a really exciting addition if it were to happen.

I agree that he is less of a necessity now than a couple months ago but i do think he is maybe more exciting of a prospect.

We no longer need him to come in and be our great hope and turn our list around. We are in a really solid position and he can just be the icing on the cake. Also i still think he brings something our midfield lacks. Line breaking ability and also flexibility. I agree we have a decent crop of mids but that is why i think it is important to find mids who can fill a need elsewhere. He can play wing/on ball/HFF. I think that is more important when we have a group of on ballers all demanding CBA's.

At the end of the day Smith is not going to make our break our hopes going forward but i do think he would be a really exciting addition if it were to happen.
what he would of been and could still be I guess if he does decide to come over would be a point of difference in a reasonably one paced midfield. Not saying that Day, Newcombe, Worpel, Nash, Mackenzie etc are slow just that they are all a similar pace

Smith at his best has some serious wheels and also a desire to use them

Why would you listen that shite?

Twomey is excellent at reporting on draft prospects but somehow that has translated him in to some sort of Oracle regarding player movement.

He hasn't got a ****en clue.

Twomey is excellent at reporting on draft prospects but somehow that has translated him in to some sort of Oracle regarding player movement.

Because I have a job where I need headphones in and sitting at a computer every day...no reason not to

I actually think he's pretty decent when it comes to reporting player movement and players extending contracts... He and Mitch Clearly are the only ones I really take notice of... i definitely steer clear of the herald sun darts team. They really don't have a clue.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Difference is we didn't give up much to secure all of those guys. Luko would be a first at a minimum.
Not only that, this is Massimo's third year in the system. In comparison, it's Lukosius' sixth.

If he had half the tenacity of his father, a player who I really admired at Adelaide City, I'd say yes. But he doesn't.

Luko would easily cost a first though, while i don't rate him too highly he is a swingman who kicked 40 goals last year. Also still only 23 years old.

Not at all worth the cost.
Incredible talent.
As others have noted, he comes across as a bit casual, if not soft, but so would Gunston if you compared him to KPP.

To kick 40 goals in a season is nothing to be sneezed at.

He could easily play the Gunston role, one that does not require pack busting presence or even intent. Viewed as a Gunston type rather than a KPF, he suddenly looks more viable.

If that’s the role Sammy wants him To play it would make total sense and I’d love him in the team in that role.

Anything more, I just don’t see it.

It's fair to say that Smith would thrive playing in our midfield, and supposedly he wants to be played as a main-man in the midfield.

But with the way we are playing he would also really thrive when rotating on a HFF and being an extra number around the ball.
the way we play you're probably gonna get more touches on a HFF than as a midfielder anyway

Barrass is very different player than battle. He's more the blanck alternative. Gee, if we get both Barra and battle, our defence could be impenetrable come next year.
And for baismith? Well, we can't be promising anyone midfield time above 20% a game with our big 4 doing so well..then there's McKenzie and Ward!

Roughy, Moorey and Mitch on the tarmac to Perth tonight

200.gif

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back