Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I floated the idea of Barrass to Hawks on this board a couple of months ago and interest seemed lukewarm at best. Reading through the posts since Hawks were linked yesterday it seems most are supportive of the idea. An Eagle’s perspective for punters based on the comments:

English is a FA, it’s likely our offer to him is band 1 and I wouldn’t expect the dogs to match that given they would be given a 1R draft pick (currently pick 11) which they currently don’t have. We wouldn’t be giving up any picks for him.

Barrass’s spinal fractures have healed and are very unlikely to make any difference to his football output. His quality of life after football is a different story.

Barrass is contracted until the end of 2027 on a modest salary for his output and is one of the very few elite players on our list. Removing him from our defence would set it back years. I can’t speak directly for our list manager but I’d expect your 1R pick (currently 8 and expect it to blow out a bit with your excellent form) would be an absolute minimum. I’m not sure we’d even accept that given he’s contracted until the end of 2027 and there’s multiple clubs with interest.

We do need to find a way to improve our draft hand over the next couple of years and trading an asset like Barrass for the right price would be one way of doing that.

I think given KPF market is relatively bare, that getting a Barrass in along with Battle can make some sense.
Although Sicily is in a league of his own across half back, we are blessed with good users who can create. Freeing Sicily up to play forward of the ball, not necessarily as a key forward - but more hitting up guys inside 50, as a spare at the back of stoppages, while occasionally acting as a leading forward or floating deep for a mark.
James Hird was who came to mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That is a very good call.

Dress standards not apply to players then?

Imagine if we had opinion standards on Big Footy.....

Season 18 Omg GIF by America's Got Talent

what he would of been and could still be I guess if he does decide to come over would be a point of difference in a reasonably one paced midfield. Not saying that Day, Newcombe, Worpel, Nash, Mackenzie etc are slow just that they are all a similar pace

Smith at his best has some serious wheels and also a desire to use them
Adds another absolute gun gut runner to a strong band. That’s the attraction for me. Collectively a group that is incredibly hard to go with over the course of a game. He’d be an absolute weapon in this side.

A few on the Cats board (rumour thread) don't seem so sure on Baz. It's kind've funny how some are analysing the photo of Roughie + Baz by saying it is either an old pic, a pic from a sporting event day and my personal favourite with one of them wondering why Roughie has sunnies with him 😂

No it was lake and 27 for 21 and 43
Something similar would be ideal for Barrass but not sure if Eagles will bite.

Happy to add our 1st or F1 into equation if Eagles 2nd comes back. One of the Whitlock twins or key talls should be still there around that pick. If our pies 2nd is needed then we need to get their 3rd back.

Its a no for a straight 1st for Barrass.

I floated the idea of Barrass to Hawks on this board a couple of months ago and interest seemed lukewarm at best. Reading through the posts since Hawks were linked yesterday it seems most are supportive of the idea. An Eagle’s perspective for punters based on the comments:

English is a FA, it’s likely our offer to him is band 1 and I wouldn’t expect the dogs to match that given they would be given a 1R draft pick (currently pick 11) which they currently don’t have. We wouldn’t be giving up any picks for him.

Barrass’s spinal fractures have healed and are very unlikely to make any difference to his football output. His quality of life after football is a different story.

Barrass is contracted until the end of 2027 on a modest salary for his output and is one of the very few elite players on our list. Removing him from our defence would set it back years. I can’t speak directly for our list manager but I’d expect your 1R pick (currently 8 and expect it to blow out a bit with your excellent form) would be an absolute minimum. I’m not sure we’d even accept that given he’s contracted until the end of 2027 and there’s multiple clubs with interest.

We do need to find a way to improve our draft hand over the next couple of years and trading an asset like Barrass for the right price would be one way of doing that.
Pies fans said they were getting our first for Ginnivan.

He's staying. Cash grab.
How’s it a ‘cash grab’ ?

He’s contracted for another 3 yrs
He’s said multiple times, publicly, that he doesn’t want to leave

It’s not him driving this rumour, it’s the media

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How’s it a ‘cash grab’ ?

He’s contracted for another 3 yrs
He’s said multiple times, publicly, that he doesn’t want to leave

It’s not him driving this rumour, it’s the media
Don't be surprised if it's WC driving it. They could / should be looking to do a hard reset for new incoming coach. I'm like most in here that I'd love for us to have Barrass but not for our 1st rounder. For example when we did our hard reset look at what we got for a beat up former brownlow medalist Tom Mitchell. We got Cooper Stephens, pick 41, pick 50 and we payed some of Tom's remaining salary. Barrass will be around about the same age as when we traded Mitchell to the Pies age wise they're at the same crossroads in their careers so talk of us using our 1st rounder in a trade is BS and IMO would be foolish of us to entertain without something coming back our way like a 2nd rounder minimum.

If we were diligent with our medical checks I would easily give up a first rounder for Barrass.

He's the type of player to elevate us from 6-10th to top 4.

Yeah dogs really in need of more talls
Surely sarcasm, an embarrassment of riches when it comes to talls. O Donnell could become there gorilla post Liam Jones and I reckon in their wildest dreams they never thought Lobb would turn his career around as a key back. The need for Barass isn't as palpable as it may have seemed a few months ago.

Surely sarcasm, an embarrassment of riches when it comes to talls. O Donnell could become there gorilla post Liam Jones and I reckon in their wildest dreams they never thought Lobb would turn his career around as a key back. The need for Barass isn't as palpable as it may have seemed a few months ago.

Was definitely sarcasm.

Then we exit the "Race"
This is honestly where I think it ends up. Tom himself has been pretty emphatic that he wants to stay, he is contracted for multiple years and West Coast dont have a heap that will bring back serious assets I think they would be asking for a first plus sweetener and that isnt DGB and more importantly they are well within their rights to with a player of his talents in contract.

Think there is a better chance Mitchell has made the call to ask but the price will be too high and they move on

I think given KPF market is relatively bare, that getting a Barrass in along with Battle can make some sense.
Although Sicily is in a league of his own across half back, we are blessed with good users who can create. Freeing Sicily up to play forward of the ball, not necessarily as a key forward - but more hitting up guys inside 50, as a spare at the back of stoppages, while occasionally acting as a leading forward or floating deep for a mark.
James Hird was who came to mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A key plank of our philosophy seems to be using our strength’s combined with flexibiity to overload teams in parts of the ground. Eg too many big bodies around the contest, running in waves on the outside, weddle as flexible utility who can intercept and run, too many small forwards for opposition to cover, and having enough targets to keep opposition talls busy (eg Hardwick going forward, Gunston playing as often gets #1 defender, Sicily forward etc). I think we like the option of throwing Sicily and Hardwick forward rather than them likely to be permanent forwards.

I think the appeal of battle is his flexibility rather than him being a #1 defender.

The one exception to the flexibility seems to be the ‘anchor’ defender down back - from our interest in McKay last year and possibly Barrass this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back