Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Although we all love the idea of barrass coming, important not to pay too much for a play who realistically will be 29 next season and have maybe 3-4 more years left at a stretch considering the way he plays and how he throws his body at the high ball.

Barrass is only one year younger than Lake was when he came to the hawks.

I'd like to see Barrass come as long as it doesn't cost too much draft capital, this year's 1st rounder + DGB (or even ideally future 1st rounder + DGB and maybe swap our future R2 for their future r3 (hopfully not too much of a downgrade) (EDIT: even this might be overs considering his injury history)

Very good player yes, but would it surprise anyone if his body was cooked at age 31/32 the way he plays the game?

Last edited:

Id be leaving Sicily down back and moving Weddle up the ground. I can only imagine the kind of games Sicily would put together if he has Barras, Frost and Scrim taking the tall fwds and Sic can just roam freely.
Sicily would flat out go ballistic in that scenario.

It would be like a final form, super saiyan form of Sic!

Although we all love the idea of barrass coming, important not to pay too much for a play who realistically will be 29 next season and have maybe 3-4 more years left at a stretch considering the way he plays and how he throws his body at the high ball.

Barrass is only one year younger than Lake was when he came to the hawks.

I'd like to see Barrass come as long as it doesn't cost too much draft capital, this year's 1st rounder + DGB (or even ideally future 1st rounder + DGB and maybe swap our future R2 for their future r3 (hopfully not too much of a downgrade)

Very good player yes, but would it surprise anyone if his body was cooked at age 31/32 the way he plays the game?
Particularly given back/hip injuries.

Star at the right price, but could have a tail end of his career like Gunston, backs are fickle.

Let’s just back the Coach in, he knows what he’s doing
He knows what he’s doing but at the same time we lucked out avoiding Esava, McKay and Henry last year.

And those guys would have cost a lot less than Barrass.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He knows what he’s doing but at the same time we lucked out avoiding Esava, McKay and Henry last year.

And those guys would have cost a lot less than Barrass.
Who’s to say that they wouldn’t all be having the seasons that Chol, Mass and Frosty have had if they were with us instead.

One thing we seem to do extremely well is identify talent on offer, and then we(touch wood) get the best out of it.

Star at the right price, but could have a tail end of his career like Gunston, backs are fickle.
Tom's injury is such an unusual one in footy history, it's hard to say what it means for him going forward. T-Spine injuries are a different beast and much more frightening initially than the lumbar spine injuries that most other players with back issues in the AFL have, but if he were going to have continued issues with it he would have had more difficulty in his return. As it stands he was back within a year and back to something resembling his best form. I don't think there are signs there of a player on the decline.

Gunston is struggling because he ended up requiring multiple bouts of surgery (very hit or miss, an absolute last resort) to get through it, Barrass is playing fine with no surgery, just ongoing physio. Generally if a player sees a sharp decline it's because things were bad, they tried surgery as a last ditch, and have accepted that high level football is probably beyond them. That's the case for Gunston, Carlisle, Fyfe who all very quickly deteriorated. On the flip side, those who can manage without surgery like Hawkins has been since 2012 seem to avoid that rapid decline.

The back injury is something that likely cuts a bit of the trade value West Coast would receive, but it wouldn't turn us off in the slightest.

That is a very serious injury.

I know a bit about back issues, having had to manage a dicky back for the past 20+ years with regular physio/chiro visits. It's a pain in the proverbial - and I don't play sport for a living. Suffice to say I stand rather than sit at a height-adjustable desk.

I trust we'll be doing all the necessary medical check-ups before we decide to invest in Barrass for 4-5 years.

He's a WA boy. And his neck/back is Code F.

He would be crazy to uproot his family and move across the country when he is one more crunch away from not playing.
Almost requested a trade to Sydney last year and his sister lived in Sydney at the time, which was a big factor.

His sister is moving to Melbourne this year fwiw

Look what we got when Clarko asked Jordan Lewis to go to the Gold Coast. If you try and force a player out they end up choosing a club they prefer in their home state and you get a crappy deal.
West Coast are in for years of pain and none of our VIC players are going to agree to be traded to them.
You keeping saying none of our players will want to go WCE but they dont have too, have you heard off 3 way trades?

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back