Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

if someone of authority had said on SEN this morning that Battle will re sign today and it will be announced on Monday, that would have made the print media. I can't find anything on their web site.
he might well sign on with the Saints, but I'm guessing that was just somebody who simply called up.

They're not going to take a second rounder or later, they shouldn't have to take a second rounder or later. He's contracted, he's in demand and he's playing good football.

Lake was unfit, unwanted and the Dogs were actively trying to push him out. The market for him was cold. You can't use it as a basis for comparison.
Barass has a bad back and it seems he may be getting pushed out for a rebuild/wanting out due to an agreement gone south, doesn’t seem like a very big difference really.

I’m not agreeing that they will/should take unders or overs though, I am not qualified to value players, I’m just here for the ride.

Tom Barass is one of the premier defenders in competition and would easily take Frost's position. Tom Barass could be the pot of gold. He is also going to be 29 if we were to trade for him, and with his injury concerns could be Fool's Gold.

Gibson was 24 when we traded for him, and Hale was 27.

Lake was a similar story to Barass, 30 and with injury issues. With no disrespect to Tom, but Lake was a better player and we traded our pick 21 got pick 27 back. So basically nothing.

I'm not saying I don't want Barass, (unlike McKay last year, I didn't want him at all), I do want Barass but the Eagles will have to take a second round or later, and that's what they'll have to take, they're not with the bargaining hand if the player wants to leave.
Here's the thing so you agree that TB is a star. Second you think we shouldn't be paying the price for someone of his calibre because it's risky. I wager the risk is a lot higher given where our pick is and what we get from the draft. Our pick may end up being 10 -12 or if we are dreaming even higher. The odds of that drafted player being anywhere near what Barrass can do for us over the next couple of years is astronomical. In the meantime we keep developing our existing players and have picks in the next few drafts unless we get another opportunity with another player. Giving up picks in this draft doesn't stop us from continuing to hit the draft in future years as well as getting in players.

Players of the calibre of Barrass do not come around often. This is especially true for Hawthorn and its list management. We are in a unique position to have the assets to lure him across. We must do what we can to make this happen. He changes a lot of things for us going forward.

Barass has a bad back and it seems he may be getting pushed out for a rebuild/wanting out due to an agreement gone south, doesn’t seem like a very big difference really.

I’m not agreeing that they will/should take unders or overs though, I am not qualified to value players, I’m just here for the ride.
and another 700 thread pages…

if someone of authority had said on SEN this morning that Battle will re sign today and it will be announced on Monday, that would have made the print media. I can't find anything on their web site.
he might well sign on with the Saints, but I'm guessing that was just somebody who simply called up.
It was just a random texting in could be right could he false

By the way RCAB i apologise for my little snipe earlier. I will say this the draft like every other mode of getting players is a means to an end. We are in a position now where no one method is preferred. We chose whichever option makes us better.

They're not going to take a second rounder or later, they shouldn't have to take a second rounder or later. He's contracted, he's in demand and he's playing good football.

Lake was unfit, unwanted and the Dogs were actively trying to push him out. The market for him was cold. You can't use it as a basis for comparison.
Yeah I would wager Lake was a much bigger risk even with the swap of picks

Yeah I would wager Lake was a much bigger risk even with the swap of picks
Lake made sense because we had a lot of our top liners getting very close to the end and we needed to find a little extra to win a flag.

Getting a year or two out of Lake was all we needed. Luckily we got 3.

If we only got a year or two out of Barrass we wouldn’t see the same sort of value. Especially when we already have Frost.

I’ve got no problem using a first rounder to trade someone in. I’d just only use it on someone with a lot longer left in the AFL given where our list is at.

I was initially pretty hesitant about getting barrass in, but Mitch just has not missed since he’s taken over. I still remember the shit we copped after he claimed we already had most of our next premiership list assembled, but who’s laughing now?
At this point, if Mitch and the club tick it off I am confident that he’ll end up being a star for us and I can’t wait to see us have a serious crack at the flag next year.
This.

I have concerns about Barrass' back, although some of that concern is influenced by my issues with my own back, but am confident the club will do its due diligence on that front.

As you say, Sam hasn't missed yet. Indeed, had we got McKay or Esava last year, I'm confident they'd be doing much better with us than they are with their current clubs - Esava didn't look too bad in Port's F50 in their previous game, though.

I'm fully on board with whatever Sam and MM are planning for trades/draft.

Lake made sense because we had a lot of our top liners getting very close to the end and we needed to find a little extra to win a flag.

Getting a year or two out of Lake was all we needed. Luckily we got 3.

If we only got a year or two out of Barrass we wouldn’t see the same sort of value. Especially when we already have Frost.

I’ve got no problem using a first rounder to trade someone in. I’d just only use it on someone with a lot longer left in the AFL given where our list is at.
28 going to be 29 in October is the same age as Sicily. I think the fear is his back injury. We would have done some due diligence. Sic wants to win at least one before he retires. Barrass gives him and the team a chance. Even if we only win one I will take it while others on our list mature

Would Branden Campbell be worth a look at? We were keen on him and bid on him in his draft year. Dropped again this week. Talented player we could buy low. Similar to Mass at the Bombers. Beautiful left foot kick, perfect age bracket and seems to be always on the fringe when it comes to selection. Could slot into that Amon role in the future?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would Branden Campbell be worth a look at? We were keen on him and bid on him in his draft year. Dropped again this week. Talented player we could buy low. Similar to Mass at the Bombers. Beautiful left foot kick, perfect age bracket and seems to be always on the fringe when it comes to selection. Could slot into that Amon role in the future?

I doubt they'd let him go, but could be worth a try.

Hopefully they have to make a few tough choices and will ultimately shed some of their younger players - Konstanty, Sheldrick, Cleary, Campbell and Roberts will all garner interest.

You'd expect them to do whatever they can to keep Roberts though, he will be a gun.

Big NO to Barrass.

Struggles to get out of bed and here people are wanting to sell our future for a borderline disabled player that turns 30 next year.

Take Travaglia in the draft. 15 year player.

If he isn’t available, load up on the second rounders. Quality all the way into the 40’s this year.

Big NO to Barrass.

Struggles to get out of bed and here people are wanting to sell our future for a borderline disabled player that turns 30 next year.

If he isn’t available, load up on the second rounders. Quality all the way into the 40’s this year.
Future captain eh? Can he play CHB.

Big NO to Barrass.

Not sure using a first to acquire a quality established key defender is selling the future.

Big NO to Barrass.

Animated GIF

If they convince Maginness to join them then yeah, maybe.

Not sure using a first to acquire a quality established key defender is selling the future.
He would join us as a 29 year old with injury risk attached. Is he that big an upgrade on Frost? We would be likely giving up the opportunity to draft 2 quality kids. It is not as clear cut as people think. We should be aiming to have long sustained success. I am happy to get him but wouldn’t be distraught if we didn’t.

No back-ending 9 year deals to fit a salary cap now. Presumably it means compo is based on total contract for first 5 years?

You could really screw the Saints by offering him 7 years massively back-ended and then restructure the deal a year in.

So everyone thinks that they are a chiropractor and understand what is the deal with Tom's back.

He has had back issues for a while and what it means is later in life he will struggle. As of now, he is fully able to play AFL for another 3 to 5 years. Going to a Melbourne club and not having to fly long haul every second week will be a significant help in keeping him on the park longer. His back issues have been well documented, well understood and do not impact him playing.

The general feeling at West Coast is that he signed on for about $650k pa just after the Covid cuts and does not have the CBA uplift in his contract. Therefore in todays market, he should be getting at least another $200k p.a. He is vice captain and highly regarded PLUS under contract for another 3 years. When you guys did a demolition job on us the other month, I spoke with my mate and said that I believe Tom would make far more of a difference for the Hawks than Bailey Smith. Your defence looked fine but undermanned when faced with the taller KPDers.

If you want to understand what you might be getting, go and look at the 3rd quarter of the 2018 GF. He continues to deliver this most weeks for us and he would be even better if we had more competitive midfielders to put greater heat on the ball coming into our defence.

He is well settled in Perth with his young family. However a chance to earn another 3 x $200k pa plus another 2 years of say $700k makes it an additional $2 million. Plus likely to play finals.

The cost will be a minimum of our R1 pick and I would not do it for less than the Pie's R2 you hold. That is not me as a BF poster - it is what some of the decent journalists are stating. I think 2 x R1 is too much.

No problems if you don't like the deal, but good clubs that get their targets usually have the clearance with the player's agent that they have the desire and the currency to do the trade.

I've been following Tom's career since he was 16 at Claremont. My only warning is - don't let him take the kick ins as that is his Achilles Heel. I doubt he will be an early retirement but like most of you, I am not a chiropractor.

So everyone thinks that they are a chiropractor and understand what is the deal with Tom's back.

He has had back issues for a while and what it means is later in life he will struggle. As of now, he is fully able to play AFL for another 3 to 5 years. Going to a Melbourne club and not having to fly long haul every second week will be a significant help in keeping him on the park longer. His back issues have been well documented, well understood and do not impact him playing.

The general feeling at West Coast is that he signed on for about $650k pa just after the Covid cuts and does not have the CBA uplift in his contract. Therefore in todays market, he should be getting at least another $200k p.a. He is vice captain and highly regarded PLUS under contract for another 3 years. When you guys did a demolition job on us the other month, I spoke with my mate and said that I believe Tom would make far more of a difference for the Hawks than Bailey Smith. Your defence looked fine but undermanned when faced with the taller KPDers.

If you want to understand what you might be getting, go and look at the 3rd quarter of the 2018 GF. He continues to deliver this most weeks for us and he would be even better if we had more competitive midfielders to put greater heat on the ball coming into our defence.

He is well settled in Perth with his young family. However a chance to earn another 3 x $200k pa plus another 2 years of say $700k makes it an additional $2 million. Plus likely to play finals.

The cost will be a minimum of our R1 pick and I would not do it for less than the Pie's R2 you hold. That is not me as a BF poster - it is what some of the decent journalists are stating. I think 2 x R1 is too much.

No problems if you don't like the deal, but good clubs that get their targets usually have the clearance with the player's agent that they have the desire and the currency to do the trade.

I've been following Tom's career since he was 16 at Claremont. My only warning is - don't let him take the kick ins as that is his Achilles Heel. I doubt he will be an early retirement but like most of you, I am not a chiropractor.

Reasonable and rational post - doesn't quite fit our off-season threads.

That being said - if there were any chiropractors on here I wouldn't be taking their word on it either. A genuine doctor however - absolutely.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back