Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

The odds of that drafted player being anywhere near what Barrass can do for us over the next couple of years is astronomical.

No. Certainly not astronomical.

IMO there are 10-15 good players in this draft. It may not be top heavy like previous drafts, but it's certainly deep. They're could be a lot of 200 game players in this draft.

Big NO to Barrass.

Struggles to get out of bed and here people are wanting to sell our future for a borderline disabled player that turns 30 next year.

Take Travaglia in the draft. 15 year player.

If he isn’t available, load up on the second rounders. Quality all the way into the 40’s this year.
Dgb was meant to be a 15 year player
Just sayin

So everyone thinks that they are a chiropractor and understand what is the deal with Tom's back.

He has had back issues for a while and what it means is later in life he will struggle. As of now, he is fully able to play AFL for another 3 to 5 years. Going to a Melbourne club and not having to fly long haul every second week will be a significant help in keeping him on the park longer. His back issues have been well documented, well understood and do not impact him playing.

The general feeling at West Coast is that he signed on for about $650k pa just after the Covid cuts and does not have the CBA uplift in his contract. Therefore in todays market, he should be getting at least another $200k p.a. He is vice captain and highly regarded PLUS under contract for another 3 years. When you guys did a demolition job on us the other month, I spoke with my mate and said that I believe Tom would make far more of a difference for the Hawks than Bailey Smith. Your defence looked fine but undermanned when faced with the taller KPDers.

If you want to understand what you might be getting, go and look at the 3rd quarter of the 2018 GF. He continues to deliver this most weeks for us and he would be even better if we had more competitive midfielders to put greater heat on the ball coming into our defence.

He is well settled in Perth with his young family. However a chance to earn another 3 x $200k pa plus another 2 years of say $700k makes it an additional $2 million. Plus likely to play finals.

The cost will be a minimum of our R1 pick and I would not do it for less than the Pie's R2 you hold. That is not me as a BF poster - it is what some of the decent journalists are stating. I think 2 x R1 is too much.

No problems if you don't like the deal, but good clubs that get their targets usually have the clearance with the player's agent that they have the desire and the currency to do the trade.

I've been following Tom's career since he was 16 at Claremont. My only warning is - don't let him take the kick ins as that is his Achilles Heel. I doubt he will be an early retirement but like most of you, I am not a chiropractor.

If Barrass nominates us I think you'll easily get our first but it will be the extras that hold up any deals. No doubt you will be asking for our second as well but whether we're willing to go there remains to be seen.

I'm not suggesting that to disparage your comment by the way, plenty of trades get done for unders or overs. It will be interesting to see how it develops.

Barrass would be the best defender to change clubs since Steven May in 2018. There's no 'fitting him in'.

Right now we have to win games from the middle. With Barrass and Battle, we could win games from all thirds of the ground.
Well put, these guys unlock the whole group and allow Sis forward, Weddle to the wing. Goals like Impey's goal on Sunday would be happening every week.

Big NO to Barrass.

Struggles to get out of bed and here people are wanting to sell our future for a borderline disabled player that turns 30 next year.

Take Travaglia in the draft. 15 year player.

If he isn’t available, load up on the second rounders. Quality all the way into the 40’s this year.
Welcome back Nick 🧙‍♂️

Are you mates with Travaglia?

And how is projectdingley :cool:

No. Certainly not astronomical.

IMO there are 10-15 good players in this draft. It may not be top heavy like previous drafts, but it's certainly deep. They're could be a lot of 200 game players in this draft.
That is speculation and you are looking at the best-case scenario. If I was to say the same for Barrass we win at least one premiership, and I would take that over any 200 gamer.

By the way RCAB i apologise for my little snipe earlier. I will say this the draft like every other mode of getting players is a means to an end. We are in a position now where no one method is preferred. We chose whichever option makes us better.

It's a gamble either way. Nobody can predict the future with certainty. I want Tom Barass and I think we can get him, and we don't have to give up a first round draft pick.

Sometimes you can get trade in for great players for much less (Burgoyne is another one), sometimes you pay overs for players who you'll think will move the needle but then end up in hindsight not good deals (O'Meara, Wingard), and end up setting your club back.

Look at all those top players we traded in, all of them had some injury concerns. In the end the ones we got cheap paid ended up paying off, and the expensive ones were hit and miss. This is Tom Barass; he has injury concerns, he's 29 soon, how much longer do you think he'll play for, even if fully fit, 32-33?

Do you believe he will be fully fit for the next three years, or will continue to play at high level till 34 and beyond?

The cost will be a minimum of our R1 pick and I would not do it for less than the Pie's R2 you hold. That is not me as a BF poster - it is what some of the decent journalists are stating. I think 2 x R1 is too much.
LMAO... Have a look at the Shai Bolton draft thread.

Tigers are saying Freo's top 2 picks are way unders while Freo thinks their pick 7 should suffice.

Bolton is 24 yrs old with flags and a track record.
Liam Baker & Jack Graham are 26yr olds as well, what should be their value if you value Barrass(29yr old, bad back) at 2 picks?

Barrass will improve Hawks, so will Bolton.

I value Bolton at 2 Top 10 picks + decent steak knives ( one of them should be Top 5)

That is speculation and you are looking at the best-case scenario. If I was to say the same for Barrass we win at least one premiership, and I would take that over any 200 gamer.
If you can gurantee one flag, I am happy to give up 3 first round picks

It's a gamble either way. Nobody can predict the future with certainty. I want Tom Barass and I think we can get him, and we don't have to give up a first round draft pick.

Sometimes you can get trade in for great players for much less (Burgoyne is another one), sometimes you pay overs for players who you'll think will move the needle but then end up in hindsight not good deals (O'Meara, Wingard), and end up setting your club back.

Look at all those top players we traded in, all of them had some injury concerns. In the end the ones we got cheap paid ended up paying off, and the expensive ones were hit and miss. This is Tom Barass; he has injury concerns, he's 29 soon, how much longer do you think he'll play for, even if fully fit, 32-33?

Do you believe he will be fully fit for the next three years, or will continue to play at high level till 34 and beyond?
The only players that we traded in that had an injury concerns were Burgoyne(Who had an injury riddled year before requesting a trade to us he came to us on Crutches) and O'Meara. Burgoyne trade was a steep price 9 and 16 for a bloke on crutches mate. Arguable only one trade in our history was greater that was the one to get Luke Hodge. Both those trades were really High risk trades that could have come back to bite us. You risk big you win big it's always been the way. Barrass is no where near the risk Burgoyne was when he came to us.

We will continue to take risks because historically that is what we do. It's what we have done to be as successful as we have. Yes, we will have misses but the ones that pay off usually end in premierships. We will never be scared of taking risks just because we have failed with some in the past.

Wingard was not injury prone when he came to us

Would Branden Campbell be worth a look at? We were keen on him and bid on him in his draft year. Dropped again this week. Talented player we could buy low. Similar to Mass at the Bombers. Beautiful left foot kick, perfect age bracket and seems to be always on the fringe when it comes to selection. Could slot into that Amon role in the future?
He’s terrible

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dgb, ward, mckenzie , weddle , Watson our last 5 first round picks. I'm definitely taking barrass over the first 2 . Plus we will be picking a lot later this year than we have been .

Sleepy mark has a good eye for talent and with a deep and very even draft I'd back him in to nail some later picks, with the option of trading a future first back into this draft if a main target Is still on the board.

Not sure about Barass but Battle is one that we should have.

All the talk about Bazlenka has dissipated - is it that clear he is going to the Cats?

Surely he would be a good fit with the likes of Ginnivan and the rascals.

Swap Hardwick and Sicily
B. Hardwick Barrass Scrimshaw
HB. Amon Battle Impey
C. CJ Newcombe Weddle
HF. Moore Chol Dear
F. Watson Sicily Ginnivan
Foll. Meek Day Worpel

Bench
Surprised at the lack of excitement over the possiblity of Sicily playing forward IF we land the Barrass/Battle double.

He's pushed forward a few times this year and scored multiple games on those occasions.

It wouldn't need to be a permanent move, but can anybody tell me why this couldn't work?...

HB. Amon Battle Impey
C. Weddle Day D'Ambrosio
HF. Moore Dear Sicily
F. Watson Chol Ginnivan
This is better....

HB. Amon Battle Impey
C. CJ Newcombe Weddle
HF. Moore Sicily Macdonald
F. Dear Chol Ginnivan
Foll. Meek Day Worpel

Bench. Nash, Amon, D'Ambrosio, Watson, Mackenzie

But what about the other 3 quarters? Esp the last half where our defence smashed them. But yes, had we not kicked straight that first quarter (and they took their chances), it could've been a very different game
Played great after that first quarter, but let a top 4 team have that much freedom like the first quarter and the game is over.

Dgb, ward, mckenzie , weddle , Watson our last 5 first round picks. I'm definitely taking barrass over the first 2 . Plus we will be picking a lot later this year than we have been .

Sleepy mark has a good eye for talent and with a deep and very even draft I'd back him in to nail some later picks, with the option of trading a future first back into this draft if a main target Is still on the board.

Why did you just go with the 5? Why not include Day?

Rationale thinking will prevail. No teams use firsts on 30 year olds. Let alone, one who is an injury away from retirement. Barrass puts his body on the line for contests, one bad knee in the back and it’s potentially over.

Four firsts for Wingard and O’Meara combined. Kept the physios busy, trophy cabinet, not so much.

Barrass will be no different. Year on year in the medical tent.

Travaglia 15 year player, let it be known.

Again, no relevance to projectdingley. Big supporter though. Where has he gone? Banned for speaking the truth?

Wanted Watson when 90% of the thread didn’t. Said no to Bazlenka when 99% wanted Pick 5 shipped to the dogs. What a disaster trading The Wizard (generational talent) would’ve been for a bloke that did an ACL pre-season.

Rationale thinking will be prevail. Tobie Travaglia, future Hawk.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back