Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

A first round pick is enough, in fact if it's within the 8-14 range, it's more than enough. The posturing coming from the west about us giving up two first rounders may not be enough is just lunacy! They must think clarko is still running the ship!
…and Barrass is nowhere near as impactful as Sicily. The comparisons to justify a high price are stupid.

Mate, he's been to every game in Melbourne this year. Clearly knows his stuff, despite not knowing how to spell our player's name or realise that Mackenzie has played the vast majority of the year.
Ned Ryerson he didn’t say he’d been to every game in Melbourne he said he’d been to every Melbourne game. If I’d watched every Melbourne game this year I’d probably not be totally with it either! Jokes aside let’s give the guy a break he’s allowed to have an opinion that differs from the main. I’m enjoying some new voices here.

I’ve been away without internet a lot has happened since. I say f%^k it let’s get them all. Barrass Battle Baz Betracca as it seems we can’t trade in without them staring with a B!
Best 23
Hardwick Barrass Battle
Impey Sicily Scrimshaw
Weddle Newk D’Ambrosio
Cmac Chol Moore
Watson Dear Ginnivan
Meek Petracca Day
Nash Worpel Amon Smith Mackenzie

Emergencies from 2023 just regular seniors
Morrison Lewis Reeves CJ Gunston Breust Ward Maginness Mitchell

That’s mental!!!

as long as we have a later pick in return, hopefully it won't matter. We should really be aiming to be as good as Geelong at identifying value picks and developing talent! if we can identify and develop players like Dempsey and Humphries like they do, wouldn't have to worry too much about overpaying in trades.
Sounds like you have totally missed the last 3-4 years of our drafting and trading.

as long as we have a later pick in return, hopefully it won't matter. We should really be aiming to be as good as Geelong at identifying value picks and developing talent! if we can identify and develop players like Dempsey and Humphries like they do, wouldn't have to worry too much about overpaying in trades.
Is this a troll?

Sicily, Hardwick, Lewis, Worpel, Morrison, Worpel, Moore, Newcombe, Dear, Jiath, Nash, Breust

All third round or later picks regularly getting a game.

I just don’t get the Barrass chase if we are getting battle and blank is back next year. We also have young guys coming through. If we get him we shouldn’t be selling the farm at the very least.

It feels like we are desperate to get a KD and will take any, throw picks at Balta seems like they are open for business in trading players.

Was it one touch or two in the first quarter?

Can't take you seriously.
If you have been watching the Hawks the last few seasons and not understand that a big/plays-big key defender has been super high on our list of needs-to-address, no one on here can help you.
If you've watched any other football outside of the Hawks and caught any of Barrass's career and not thought - 'Gee, he's a pretty damn good Full Back/Key Defender', again, no one on here can help you.

If you just hate the cost of a draft pick or other we'd need to pay and can foretell a different path to FULLY answering our key back deficiency, just lay it out once here and we can all move on.

The HFC clearly don't agree with you.
Big Footy Hawks Forum at large doesn't agree with you.
Doesn't make you wrong, but your repetitive jabs just make you look like you're shouting at the clouds.

Last edited:
Love Blanck

At what point has he shown the ability to be an AA level KPD

Absence has seemingly made the heart grow fonder with Blanck. Exciting prospect but not the guaranteed AFL level player people are making out. Also coming off an ACL so will need time to get back to his best level.

Can't take you seriously.
If you have been watching the Hawks the last few seasons and not understand that a big/plays-big key defender has been super high on our list of needs-to-address, no one on here can help you.
If you've watched any other football outside of the Hawks and caught any of Barrass's career and not thought - 'Gee, he's a pretty damn good Full Back/Key Defender', again, no one on here can help you.

If you just hate the cost of a draft pick or other we'd need to pay and can foretell a different path to FULLY answering our key back deficiency, just lay it out once here and we can all move on.

The HFC clearly don't agree with you.
Big Footy Hawks Forum at large doesn't agree with you.
Doesn't make you wrong, but your repetitive jabs just make you look like you're shouting at the clouds.
Happy to add Barrass. Just not for a trade price we will regret.

I for one am all in on any list move / trade that Sam, Rob M and MM think is best for the club. They have more than enough credits in the bank with me to make a call

I also struggle to see the point of using pick 10-16 on another draftee when we can't even get our existing top-10 picks regularly into the team?

Going 1 year without using a first isn't going to magically destroy our youth and list profile when we all know that KPB depth at the club (as well as KPF) is questionable.

We have been pretty lucky with injury this year and I for one will be perfectly happy knowing we have some depth to fall back on.

Yup, I get it.
Just tell yourself, it's not my money, it's not my money.......
The fellas in the decision making positions at the Club are balancing so many more contracts, draft plans of the future, etc that surely you or I quibbling over an extra $100K here or second round pick there is a little silly.

We get on the train of people in charge if we trust and believe in their decisions, even knowing they can never get ALL of those decisions right.
When Clarko, Wrighty and others started piling up poor decisions, we got off.
It's fine to say what you've said, once, twice, three times.
But the attempts to disparage players who are clearly very very good comes off petty and not in keeping with sound thinking, is all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A first round pick is enough, in fact if it's within the 8-14 range, it's more than enough. The posturing coming from the west about us giving up two first rounders may not be enough is just lunacy! They must think clarko is still running the ship!
It’s all WA media that just also happen to be fans as well. The pick you state will get the job done. I still feel we’re taking a big risk but if we can get 3 good years of service out of him it’ll be worth it.

Josh Battle for a decent price,
not $900 000. Barrass would be fine if like us trading out Jordan Lewis/Tom Mitchell. To spend a first round pick or more on a 29 year old is far riskier than any trade Clarko ever did.

We all want both deals done at a favourable price - but shitcanning players you do actively want to recruit is a pretty weird way of showing you do want them.

It feels like we are desperate to get a KD and will take any, throw picks at Balta seems like they are open for business in trading players.

They’ll get a top 5 compo pick next year for Balta. Our late firsts won’t entice them.

But you have no clue as to this said price, you may think you do but in reality you don’t.

Sure the Western Australian Harley Reid newspaper might be demanding the world, but in reality if a deal is done it will work out pretty fair.

Last edited:
I for one am all in on any list move / trade that Sam, Rob M and MM think is best for the club. They have more than enough credits in the bank with me to make a call

I also struggle to see the point of using pick 10-16 on another draftee when we can't even get our existing top-10 picks regularly into the team?

Going 1 year without using a first isn't going to magically destroy our youth and list profile when we all know that KPB depth at the club (as well as KPF) is questionable.

We have been pretty lucky with injury this year and I for one will be perfectly happy knowing we have some depth to fall back on.
Yep - this is top up time. Agreed

Why are people so hell bent on not letting go of our first for TB? We have enough kids on the list, with plenty high picks developing that we can’t even squeeze into the side yet. As we have shown since R6 our premiership window has come much faster than expected and TB could be the final piece of the puzzle to actually win it next season. Even if he plays for 3-4 years he can plug a big hole while the likes of McCabe and Blank continue to develop. Not to mention if Battle comes we are essentially getting 2 genuine game changes to our list for essentially a first rounder. We are back to being a destination club and any list gaps moving forward I see us bringing in via trade / FA rather than the draft

So many unproven players at Box Hill doing their apprenticeship.
Rama, Serong, Scaife all showing huge promise.
It's time to get some strong bodies that can compliment the team and actually bring intel.

2018 Grand Final West Coast Vs Collingwood stats-Tom Barass

Had more marks than S Hurn & J McGovern.

We know the result of this game and the last dying minutes..

This guy is what we need down back.
We want to win a flag...he has been there before.

1723759879819.png

I swear the very same posters all write these same things at different periods during the year.

After losses “that just showed how badly we need a KPD”

In the eagles preview “If we could not kick it to Barass constantly, that would be great”.

In the trade thread “I don’t get why we’re willing to trade a first rounder for a 29yr old KPD”.

And on it goes.

Why are people so hell bent on not letting go of our first for TB? We have enough kids on the list, with plenty high picks developing that we can’t even squeeze into the side yet. As we have shown since R6 our premiership window has come much faster than expected and TB could be the final piece of the puzzle to actually win it next season. Even if he plays for 3-4 years he can plug a big hole while the likes of McCabe and Blank continue to develop. Not to mention if Battle comes we are essentially getting 2 genuine game changes to our list for essentially a first rounder. We are back to being a destination club and any list gaps moving forward I see us bringing in via trade / FA rather than the draft
This

I swear the very same posters all write these same things at different periods during the year.

After losses “that just showed how badly we need a KPD”

In the eagles preview “If we could not kick it to Barass constantly, that would be great”.

In the trade thread “I don’t get why we’re willing to trade a first rounder for a 29yr old KPD”.

And on it goes.
Earlier this year when we were going poorly some posters brought up Frost leading the "reverse coleman" to round 16 last year, and when I pointed out Barrass was only 2 goals behind him there was a similar response. That Barrass was clearly better than Frost and it was obviously a different thing.

Now it seems Barrass is bad and we're perfectly okay with running it back with Frost!

I enjoy how the club often recruits players who have played well against us in the past, Amon, Lake, Gibbo, big boy, and who can forget Hales big bag of 8 against us- it not only adds to our squad but takes away from the opposition.
Barrass with 30 touches and 18 marks a couple years ago against us will be a nice addition, yes he is aging but it shows his ability roaming in defense while Wedz and Sicily are freed up.
If we have to pay a 1st and say pick swap 2nd/3rd rounders to get him and Battle (free) I'd do it in a heartbeat. Even if we include DGB I think it gives him a chance to play top level and perhaps wce can find something in him we haven't been able to. That would also open up a valuable list spot for us.
It's important to look at the trade period as a whole rather than as individual trades.

I enjoy how the club often recruits players who have played well against us in the past, Amon, Lake, Gibbo, big boy, and who can forget Hales big bag of 8 against us- it not only adds to our squad but takes away from the opposition.
Barrass with 30 touches and 18 marks a couple years ago against us will be a nice addition, yes he is aging but it shows his ability roaming in defense while Wedz and Sicily are freed up.
If we have to pay a 1st and say pick swap 2nd/3rd rounders to get him and Battle (free) I'd do it in a heartbeat. Even if we include DGB I think it gives him a chance to play top level and perhaps wce can find something in him we haven't been able to. That would also open up a valuable list spot for us.
It's important to look at the trade period as a whole rather than as individual trades.
Hale kicked 8 v the Cats, not us

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back