Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I was at the MCG in 2022 when Barrass DESTROYED Mitch Lewis right during the middle of Mitch's run of form.
Kept him goalless.

Was super impressed that day. Never thought we'd see him in brown and gold.

Still not keen on spending 2 first round picks, but would absolutely do it for our first with our current list trajectory.

Hale kicked i think 6 against us in 2010 prelim final at box hill city oval. In that game there was a player by the name of Isaac Smith who not many ppl at the ground knew. Both those players were selected / traded by us that year

I enjoy how the club often recruits players who have played well against us in the past, Amon, Lake, Gibbo, big boy, and who can forget Hales big bag of 8 against us- it not only adds to our squad but takes away from the opposition.
Barrass with 30 touches and 18 marks a couple years ago against us will be a nice addition, yes he is aging but it shows his ability roaming in defense while Wedz and Sicily are freed up.
If we have to pay a 1st and say pick swap 2nd/3rd rounders to get him and Battle (free) I'd do it in a heartbeat. Even if we include DGB I think it gives him a chance to play top level and perhaps wce can find something in him we haven't been able to. That would also open up a valuable list spot for us.
It's important to look at the trade period as a whole rather than as individual trades.
Chol too. Slayed us with 6 up in Darwin a few years ago.

Now it seems Barrass is bad and we're perfectly okay with running it back with Frost!

Don't forget that Blanck will supposedly just slot right back in next year and play at Barrass-like levels.

Happy to add Barrass. Just not for a trade price we will regret.
It's an interesting one, price regret, especially in sport (player acquisition).

If you regret the price before he's even pulled on the jumper, you're obviously an idiot.

If you hold the grudge 3-5yrs until he retires, just for the "I told you so" moment, see Point 1.

We'll not know the price relative to performance for years to come - same with the opportunity cost (player/s we could/might have selected, if we retained the Pick).

I certainly don't advocate "over spending", but a big KPD is our greatest list need. We've got close to the youngest list & we have developing talent everywhere. We've also brought in 4x 1st Rounders the last 2x years.

If we're ever going to drop a mid/late 1st on a very good structural player, now is the time. If in 3-5yrs it turns out we "over paid", we eat that & phase the loss across the Chol + D'Ambrosio + Ginnivan + Battle wins we've had.

I just don’t get the Barrass chase if we are getting battle and blank is back next year. We also have young guys coming through. If we get him we shouldn’t be selling the farm at the very least.
Are you comfortable with one first rounder? It was all we were going to give for him as a starting point . Don’t listen to the media. WCE know this. Just wait.

It's an interesting one, price regret, especially in sport (player acquisition).

If you regret the price before he's even pulled on the jumper, you're obviously an idiot.

If you hold the grudge 3-5yrs until he retires, just for the "I told you so" moment, see Point 1.

We'll not know the price relative to performance for years to come - same with the opportunity cost (player/s we could/might have selected, if we retained the Pick).

I certainly don't advocate "over spending", but a big KPD is our greatest list need. We've got close to the youngest list & we have developing talent everywhere. We've also brought in 4x 1st Rounders the last 2x years.

If we're ever going to drop a mid/late 1st on a very good structural player, now is the time. If in 3-5yrs it turns out we "over paid", we eat that & phase the loss across the Chol + D'Ambrosio + Ginnivan + Battle wins we've had.
Once a player becomes a Hawk I’m desperate for them to succeed no matter the price although I never clapped Barry Young.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He hasn't?
How many 22, 23 years olds are AA KPD?

That's BH's point. He's addressing the 'why do we need to recruit X defender when we have Blanck' posters who are making out he can come back next year and play to Battle or Barrass type levels.

Love Blanck

At what point has he shown the ability to be an AA level KPD
Mate he’s what 10-15 games into his career playing fullback! Show me the stats on Barrass, Weltering, or any other big backman at the same stage.
He’s big, strong, fast and athletic and shown enough to say he’s got more chance off being a good defender than being a flop.
In saying that if we can get Barrass for the right price happy days but if the Eagles want to much I’m more than comfortable with Blank holding down full back for us.

Blanck to me is the Stephen Gilham before we got Lake and Frawley. Serviceable in his role, can win games with him, potentially even a premiership, but if you want to go on a powerful run you need to recruit a higher level of put him back there and know he can at least break even in the air more often than not.

Not saying Blanck is bad or that anything but if you want a sustained highly functioning defense, to steal an NFL scouting term, you want trucks not trailers (guys who can pull the back line up not be carried up)

Are you comfortable with one first rounder? It was all we were going to give for him as a starting point . Don’t listen to the media. WCE know this. Just wait.

Tops if they turn around and ask for 2 first and more do we walk or are we all in, that's the real question.

Blanck 'could/probably will' be an AFL standard FB. If he does get to that level (probably 2-3 years away), he has shown no signs of being anything more than a strong lockdown defender.

Barass is PROVEN in the defensive aspects of his game and is an elite interceptor. Right now. Don't selectively quote lost 1v1s - look at the whole stats picture and the barrage of ball that has been coming in. He is in the same group as Harris Andrews, Sam Taylor & Weitering.

I don't get the angst - he is a proven A grade defender. Blanck is maybe a competent (but limited) AFL player in a couple of years.

Who knows how blanck comes back but if he's performing its good to have competition for spots, but he isn't even close to a barass level player right now. Before this season frost was a delist option for a lot of people , can he perform at a high level again next year ? Our undersized backline is playing bloody well but it helps we are providing a fair bit of support with our wings pushing back to assist. Imagine having a gorilla who can defend the highball like barass how much more attacking we will be able to set up.

I’ve been away without internet a lot has happened since. I say f%^k it let’s get them all. Barrass Battle Baz Betracca as it seems we can’t trade in without them staring with a B!
Best 23
Hardwick Barrass Battle
Impey Sicily Scrimshaw
Weddle Newk D’Ambrosio
Cmac Chol Moore
Watson Dear Ginnivan
Meek Petracca Day
Nash Worpel Amon Smith Mackenzie

Emergencies from 2023 just regular seniors
Morrison Lewis Reeves CJ Gunston Breust Ward Maginness Mitchell

That’s mental!!!
Ned Ryerson I found another spelling mistake, over to you mate do your thing....

Mate he’s what 10-15 games into his career playing fullback! Show me the stats on Barrass, Weltering, or any other big backman at the same stage.
He’s big, strong, fast and athletic and shown enough to say he’s got more chance off being a good defender than being a flop.
In saying that if we can get Barrass for the right price happy days but if the Eagles want to much I’m more than comfortable with Blank holding down full back for us.
So your passing up a AA level fullback for a 15 gamer

Ok

Why are people so hell bent on not letting go of our first for TB? We have enough kids on the list, with plenty high picks developing that we can’t even squeeze into the side yet. As we have shown since R6 our premiership window has come much faster than expected and TB could be the final piece of the puzzle to actually win it next season. Even if he plays for 3-4 years he can plug a big hole while the likes of McCabe and Blank continue to develop. Not to mention if Battle comes we are essentially getting 2 genuine game changes to our list for essentially a first rounder. We are back to being a destination club and any list gaps moving forward I see us bringing in via trade / FA rather than the draft
I agree to a point as I still think our forward line needs attention.

We currently rely on a 19 year old phenom with fluctuating form, an uber-athletic tall that is not great overhead and at his 3rd club, a premiership veteran that is going to run out of legs at some point and an injury plagued true KPF that can't string 2 games together. Love them all and whilst we can continue to stick with this group the time will come that we need a big 195cm+ key forward that can play 18-20 games a year and kick 60 goals each season consistently. This years draft is littered with these types and whilst we may only need a 2nd rounder to get one our 1st round pick could give us the first choice. For this reason I'd like to see us use our F1 in the Barrass deal and hold onto our first pick this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back