Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

If it came to that, we would be stupid not to look at a deal like that. We are actually light on in the small forward stakes.

Collard looks a bust, leaving only Higgins and Dan Butler on the list.
You also need a back up ruckman šŸ˜Ž

Assuming these claims are anywhere near accurate: Battle offer $800-850k for 6 years. And $900k avg for top-tier compo.

Are they seriously expecting Hawthorn to pay an extra $300-600k over the life of the deal just to move back a spot in the first round?

That's half a million dollars that could be put towards attracting more players to join us, or retaining the ones on the fringe.

Or giving pay boosts to the players already at the club who have been asked to accept less than I'm sure they could get elsewhere and have defied all expectations to deliver this amazing season.
They have no idea what weā€™re offering šŸ˜‚

Yes its going good but thats being helped by the midfielders and fwds making thw opposition move the ball slow.

Yes we are keeping the other teams toow scores and low inside 50s but the stats say if teams can get the ball in they score

Yep. Ignoring the loss to the Cats at that postage stamp they call a ground, the only games the Hawks have coughed up since May have been because the oppo mids got on top, took the momentum and then the defence was just unable to stop them from marking/scoring.

Even the Tigers caused a few headaches on the weekend with contested marking in the forward half.

Getting in another quality tall defender/stopper can only help.

That doesnā€™t change what Battle is worth on the open market. Iā€™m going to sound like a broken record - the salary cap is increasing by about 30% over the coming years. This would put a contract of $900,000 at about $690,000 in current terms. If we signed Battle for $700,000 people would be building Mark Mackenzie a statue.
Happy to be corrected on this, but my understanding is that AFL player contracts have uplift clauses in them for when the cap increases. So a player originally on say $500K with a cap uplift of 10% would be on $550K.

Anyone doubting the acquisition of Battle go back and watch him play on Jeremy Cameron. 25 years old and going to add a lot to our group.

Happy to be corrected on this, but my understanding is that AFL player contracts have uplift clauses in them for when the cap increases. So a player originally on say $500K with a cap uplift of 10% would be on $550K.

Some do - not all.

Some do - not all.

That doesnā€™t change what Battle is worth on the open market. Iā€™m going to sound like a broken record - the salary cap is increasing by about 30% over the coming years. This would put a contract of $900,000 at about $690,000 in current terms. If we signed Battle for $700,000 people would be building Mark Mackenzie a statue.

Just because something is working doesnā€™t mean you refuse any attempt to improve it. Battle would likely make our defence better, offers us further depth and Frosty is 31 at the start of next season. Why wouldnā€™t we add a quality defender about to hit his prime years?
It'd make him and Barrass our highest paid players wouldn't it? So just dunno if they're that good. I'm really starting to lean towards backing the likes of Serong and Will McCabe to step up after Frost ā€“ but again of course I'm 100% backing the club to make these decisions.

It'd make him and Barrass our highest paid players wouldn't it? So just dunno if they're that good. I'm really starting to lean towards backing the likes of Serong and Will McCabe to step up after Frost ā€“ but again of course I'm 100% backing the club to make these decisions.

Well we don't know what other players are on though. With the upcoming cap increases, Dimma and Nash both spurning free agency and a fair few players on long term contracts who's to say who our highest paid players are.

Well we don't know what other players are on though. With the upcoming cap increases, Dimma and Nash both spurning free agency and a fair few players on long term contracts who's to say who our highest paid players are.

I imagine the likes of Day, Sic and Newcombe are on fair coin too. The salary cap has ballooned out a fair bit in recent years. What we used to think is top tier is probably the standard rate now. Reckon there's probably a whole lot more million dollar players than we realise.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Think of it this way then. We want to maintain the quality of our defence whilst simultaneously adding the ability to redeploy guys like Weddle and Sicily into more dangerous, attacking roles further up the field.
The prospect of releasing Weddle upfield is indeed a salivating one. But dunno maybe both him and Sicily are best suited as defenders. Reckon Sicily certainly is. Anyway think we need one, not both of Battle and Barrass ā€“ so was flabbergasted to hear we're pursuing both given that stat of least points conceded since our run of wins

I'm really starting to lean towards backing the likes of Serong and Will McCabe to step up after Frost ā€“ but again of course I'm 100% backing the club to make these decisions.

We have a pressing need in defence now, not in a few years time when Serong and McCabe have developed. That's also assuming they do develop as promising as they are there is no guarentee they will fully reach their potential.

Battle and Barrass however are ready to go (touch wood) Round 1 2025. I've made this point before but we are fast closing in on (or already in some would argue) our Premiership window so now is the time to strike.

seron
We have a pressing need in defence now, not in a few years time when Serong and McCabe have developed. That's also assuming they do develop as promising as they are there is no guarentee they will fully reach their potential.

Battle and Barrass however are ready to go (touch wood) Round 1 2025. I've made this point before but we are fast closing in on (or already in some would argue) our Premiership window so now is the time to strike.

Serong is just about ready now. Will be prime next year. Has been able to develop nicely at BBH without being rushed under unnecessary pressure.

I am all in on Battle, not too sure on Barrass, although would be very handy at the right price and assuming he can pay the majority of games for at least 3 years

It'd make him and Barrass our highest paid players wouldn't it? So just dunno if they're that good.
What would it matter though? They're players that we need and could definitely use to improve our list and team structure. Also, I highly doubt players go around checking out each other's pay slips, I wouldn't think they care. They're professional sportsmen and know that if they're playing well their net contract will be better.

But do we really?? This is the question i'm grappling with

I'd say that other than when Geelong smacked us around in the contest, the biggest periods of opposition momentum against us since the revival of the season have been when opposition contested marking forwards have been on a run and bailed out their team between the arcs or inside 50 on consecutive plays.

He wants the best offer for him, as he should.

"Look after Stkilda" is bad for us. If he is going to sign with us he needs to want what's best for us, and a rival getting an extra pick ahead of ours and pushing every pick back isn't that."

Last year we were 16th with pick 5 instead of 3.

Anyway all this talk of compensation and upping offers, changing minds, him staying is all crap. Rumours of him staying and being days from signing have been popping up since the start of the year.

In my view battle made his mind up in March and we've been certain we had him since then. Only drama was making sure that we assured Battle that there was no change in our agreement when the Barrass story came out.
I wish it was that simple.

yes

we have been a couple of injuries away from a Weddle/Frost/Scrimshaw to finding out if Serong and Phillips can hold down the best key forwards in the competition

not saying they cant, however, Scrimshaw and Weddle have already been playing above their weight division all season, cant walk into next year thinking it will go this well again without an injury to those 3

McCabe looks good at Box Hill but would look like early days Zac Dawson if asked to come in right now and hold Harry McKay...he is still developing his craft

Could we do a Ben McKay style frontload for Battle to satisfy all parties?

Year 1: $1,400,000
Year 2: $1,000,000
Year 3: $900,000
Year 4: $700,000
Year 5: $700,000
Year 6: $700,000
Total: $5,400,000

Average $900k/p.a. = band 1

We absorbed the dismal pick of 18 for Lance in retrospect because we had a great overall list. Dismal it was for one of our greatest.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Not just our greatest, dismal for one of the greatest AFL players of the modern era. Was a bloody pittance, that also backfired on the AFL, as Buddy was sewn up to go to GWS until the very last second.

The concept of compensation should just be gotten rid of, much like it is for other codes. All it does is screw with the draft and compromise it even further. Rather than have clubs now willingly let their players walk.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back