Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

What is all this crap about Smith being a loose cannon off field? I've heard he's extremely professional, a great trainer who works hard to get the best out of himself.

If it's based on the white powder I think you'll be disappointed to find out how many AFL players do it.
There’s levels to everything though. Not that it means a lot but I’ve heard from one of his old coaches at Sandy and some work mates that have partied with him behind closed doors that he’s a pretty extreme type of guy in that he takes everything to the nth level. Work, play, everything.
Honestly- I hope everything works out for him on a personal level no matter where he ends up playing his footy.

There’s levels to everything though. Not that it means a lot but I’ve heard from one of his old coaches at Sandy and some work mates that have partied with him behind closed doors that he’s a pretty extreme type of guy in that he takes everything to the nth level. Work, play, everything.
Honestly- I hope everything works out for him on a personal level no matter where he ends up playing his footy.

This. Heard the exact same.

Not saying he will be anything like Cousins but he was wired the same. His work-rate on & off field to do everything right to be as good as he was matched his partying/lifestyle off the field where he went just as hard as he went onfield.

Probably some concerns from clubs with Bailey about his mindset towards things.

What absolute horeshit. The hardest working person I know is a mate of mine who is also plagued by mental health issues. It’s never caused him to have a day off. This ‘has mental health issues therefore is unreliable’ mantra is absurdly insulting to those with depression/anxiety.
I think “mental health issues” in a football context generally and more specifically for Bailey smith is code for a substance use issue

The club and many of us all have been very surprised and very excited in Serongs progress this year especially after missing a lot of footy dew to his health issues, at 21yo not only holding down one of the hardest positions on the ground as a KPD and smashing the door down for a call up in the seniors this year, the club is very excited about his future next year and beyond IMO.

I see Barrass as a Frost replacement. So that's fine, much improved as Frosty is getting on in age.

Frost has 1 year left on contract, and is a solid defender but still has flaws in his game. Blanck is coming off ACL and still largely an unknown. Sicily will have shoulder reconstruction in offseason and will carry a risk for the rest of his career.

By the time our 4-5 deal with Barrass expires. We would have almost certainly have lost Sicily, Impey, Bruest, Gunston and maybe Hardwick.

For those reasons i alone I can't see the club letting go of a 21yo Jai Serong that has shown his veversatile has shown good kicking skills under pressure, plenty of dash, tough, strong marking and still only 21yo with the ability to play forward and could quite possibly be a Jack Gunston replacement at 2026.
Played his junior footy as a forward, the move to the backline has super charged his confidence and ability to read the play and flight of the ball. Having him train with Dear and Gunston as a forward thru the preseason could strike GOLD!

Caro tipped her hat to “the Mitchell’s” recruiting players on FC last night.
And her podcast, about 25 mins in. Don't Shoot the Messenger. Seems they are all happy for this strategy to be promoted in the way it is. Family club... seemed to go well for Brockman but we aren't home for his family. Clubs can be funny sometimes, it is like fire has been invented. Good on them, not meant to be a slight on HFC.

What absolute horeshit. The hardest working person I know is a mate of mine who is also plagued by mental health issues. It’s never caused him to have a day off. This ‘has mental health issues therefore is unreliable’ mantra is absurdly insulting to those with depression/anxiety.
I agree mate and I wasn't meaning to look down on anyone with mental health issues as they are a massive issue and having lost people close to me due to it, it hits home hard. Unfortunately though I think people in decision making spots at clubs for example may not look to fondly on people with these issues who actively do things that may continue to have a negative impact on their mental health. Probably mostly due to preservation of their own job. Just what I've been told from people although it is sad.

I would think that it's quite telling that given Bailey Smith is very gettable, and would very much be a starter in our team, yet we've overlooked him and not even chasing anymore.

We've obviously made a call that he's not right for us based on something. Wonder what it is.

Allegedly Roughy at lunch with Barrass, Bartel and Reid. Can anyone else confirm as this was a Facebook rumour?

Seems like a very odd combination of people. I think it's extremely unlikely to be anything except an attention-seeking Facebook rumor.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Allegedly Roughy at lunch with Barrass, Bartel and Reid. Can anyone else confirm as this was a Facebook rumour?
All I know is if something didn't happen on FB , it didn't happen in real life .
Sounds like a lock to me based on that life fact 🙂

Roughy trying to elevate himself to God level in one off-season recruitment haul.

Suggest this is just a Facebook nothing rumour.
How dare you suggest he is below God level!
I wasn’t even thinking for this year, whispers been around about some work being put in for the future though…

Seems like a very odd combination of people. I think it's extremely unlikely to be anything except an attention-seeking Facebook rumor.
Rough works at the club, Barrass being traded to the club, be dumb if Reid wasn’t a target for the club and his former team mate/team mate was there… Only odd part was Bartel really.

Edit: Bartel is stepping down from GWS too.

Bartel stepping down from his football director role at GWS end of this season. Not sure what that means if this meeting was real, but interesting nonetheless.

We're bringing Jimmy Bartel out of retirement? Does that mean Sam, Hodgey, Lewis, Sewell, Hale, Roughy, Lake, and co. are coming out of retirement? Are we going to convince Gary Ablett out of retirement as well?

I assume you meant Battle instead of Bartel. Why would Battle be meeting Roughy alongside Barrass and Harley Reid? Sounds like a load of 💩

We're bringing Jimmy Bartel out of retirement? Does that mean Sam, Hodgey, Lewis, Sewell, Hale, Roughy, Lake, and co. are coming out of retirement? Are we going to convince Gary Ablett out of retirement as well?

I assume you meant Battle instead of Bartel. Why would Battle be meeting Roughy alongside Barrass and Harley Reid? Sounds like a load of 💩
No, I meant Bartel.

Well, your "rumour" sounds like even bigger hogwash if that's the case.
Maybe it is, maybe it isn’t, but all you have to rebut it is skepticism really. Nothing stopping the four mentioned people having lunch, especially with them all having connections to each other, just wanted to know if anyone else can confirm.

Maybe it is, maybe it isn’t, but all you have to rebut it is skepticism really. Nothing stopping the four mentioned people having lunch, especially with them all having connections to each other, just wanted to know if anyone else can confirm.
I didn't realise you meant Bartel as a potential board member or a football department member. That said, I still question what he would be doing with Roughead meeting Barrass and Harley Reid. Reid is just pure fantasy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back