Autopsy AFL 2023 Round 23 - Pies v Lions Fri Aug 18th 7:50pm EST (Marvel)

Who will win and by how much?

• Pies by a goal or less

Votes: 7 6.8%
  • Lions by a goal or less

Votes: 4 3.9%
  • Pies by 7 - 20

Votes: 27 26.2%
  • Lions by 7 - 20

Votes: 46 44.7%
  • Pies by a lot

Votes: 5 4.9%
  • Lions by a lot

Votes: 13 12.6%
  • Draw

Votes: 1 1.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

If there’s a quota for Marvel games, just have the Tigers play North at Marvel instead, they love that ground.

Won’t happen now that Jackwoldt is retiring.

Maybe move Hawks v Freo next week to Marvel instead.

I don’t understand how the whole Marvel contract works.

Mate we haven't played a Geelong at the G in the home&away season since Jesus played full-back for Jeruselum.
Yes, actually, it would make me feel better if you had to travel down the highway and play at that shithole as well.
Tell your people to organise it and I'll stop sooking.
Funny how this game is at Marvel but AFL won't play us at Kardinia coz $$, inconsistent IMO.

Pretty sure it just means MCG tenants play one home game at Marvel a season.
Melbourne "sell" this Marvel home game to the Alice Springs, I assume a similar arrangement with Hawthorn playing in Tassie?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Lions go better in big games when under dogs and we have a good record at Marvel. So I think we'll go well.

Saying that I would much rather have seen a nearly full MCG for the spectacle and the finals prep.
Clutching a bit here mate.
I think you will find Brisbane will be favorites at first bounce.

Mate we haven't played a Geelong at the G in the home&away season since Jesus played full-back for Jeruselum.
Yes, actually, it would make me feel better if you had to travel down the highway and play at that shithole as well.
Tell your people to organise it and I'll stop sooking.
I think you will find he was a sneaky small forward.
Kicked some "miracle" goals. :rolleyes:

If there’s a quota for Marvel games, just have the Tigers play North at Marvel instead, they love that ground.

Won’t happen now that Jackwoldt is retiring.

Maybe move Hawks v Freo next week to Marvel instead.

IIRC there is a certain amount of games that have to be played at Marvel and if the MCG tenants didn't host games there the AFL would breach the contract - to itself ha. But in seriousness they signed on caterers and other deals based on that contract*.

*Deals related to businesses connected to current or former AFL commissioners of course.

The other thing is that the breakeven point at Marvel is higher than the MCG because dumb design. The MCG can breakeven at something like 20K, Marvel more like 30K. So smaller clubs like Melbourne and Hawthorn are faced with the prospect of making a loss to host, so it is better for them to sell those games elsewhere.

Someone else who knows it better can correct me if needed, but that's how I understand it working.

I think Lions go better in big games when under dogs and we have a good record at Marvel. So I think we'll go well.

Saying that I would much rather have seen a nearly full MCG for the spectacle and the finals prep.

Yep and we are certainly the underdogs and the punters agree. Don't like our chances against the Pies juggernaut regardless of a few outs (+ we have Ashcroft out) . Pies are the best team in the comp by far and will get up by a few goals IMO.

Yep and we are certainly the underdogs and the punters agree. Don't like our chances against the Pies juggernaut regardless of a few outs (+ we have Ashcroft out) . Pies are the best team in the comp by far and will get up by a few goals IMO.
I love that casual throw away line, regardless of a few outs. Let's take Harris Andrews ( Moore) and Neale (DeGoey) out and Rayner ( Bobby Hill) as well as Ashcroft and see if it affects your chances of winning.

If you guys aren’t favourites by Friday night, I’d be extremely shocked. Odds have already started shifting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy AFL 2023 Round 23 - Pies v Lions Fri Aug 18th 7:50pm EST (Marvel)

Back