Autopsy AFL 2024 Round 18 - Pies v Cats Fri July 12th 7:40pm AEST (MCG)

Who will win and by how much?

• Pies by a goal or less

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • Cats by a goal or less

• Pies by 7 - 20

Votes: 13 18.3%
  • Cats by 7 - 20

Votes: 27 38.0%
  • Pies by a lot

• Cats by a lot

Votes: 19 26.8%
  • Draw

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Now we have significant injuries.
We have been trying to scrape a side together most of the year.
None of the so called Footy fans have any idea. Gee whiz the Pies haven't been themselves. Just last week were were missing five of our starting six forwards as well as Mitchell and it's been that way for months. Nine debutants might be a clue and 40 players on our list have played this year. Is that a record?

But the Pies have been out of form. And our last two defeats have been by 11 and 12 points. The wheels are off!

None of the so called Footy fans have any idea. Gee whiz the Pies haven't been themselves. Just last week were were missing five of our starting six forwards as well as Mitchell and it's been that way for months. Nine debutants might be a clue and 40 players on our list have played this year. Is that a record?

But the Pies have been out of form. And our last two defeats have been by 11 and 12 points. The wheels are off!

You're just us from last year

Did you have many injuries?
Yes. Early on our defence was heavily depleted, we also kept losing players early in games and then we had a horror stretch in the middle of the season (especially first line midfielders), briefly it settled before collapsing again in the run home. A few were playing injured half of the year just because we had nobody left (Dangerfield, Cameron and Tuohy to name a few).

Lots of collision injuries too like SDK breaking his face, Stanley's eye socket issue and Stengle breaking his wrist.

Collingwood have had a horror run of injuries for sure. At times going with almost a completely second string midfield (then players finding match fitness upon return), then the forward line and defence have been decimated at stages. The loss of Murphy to forced retirement was also critical.

All in all I think they've performed fairly well given the circumstances. Eventually fatigue sets in and performances dip. But like Geelong last year, on any given night at their home ground they can beat good teams. And Geelong are an average team (good some nights, poor others).

Schultz, Mihocek, Hill ,Hoskin Elliot. All in

Harrison for McCreery - No Loss
Kruger for 33 yr old Cox - No Loss

32 yr old Elliot is a loss

Pies issue is a lack of depth with only 1 good player out of 15 player under 24 and 9 player 30 or over. Difficult to see the improvement at the Pies

Speaks volumes to the respect Scotty and the boys have for the Pies.
In the 2022 Premiership Doco, Danger and 2E both said the 2022 Qualifying Final was the hardest game they have ever played in, in their entire careers. And this is two guys who have played a lot of footy in big moments/games.

Just two amazing teams going at it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The last couple of weeks the Pies have had senior players make long awaited returns from injury and lost both games. Unfortunately we can't afford to allow the players to ease slowly back in and generate some form in the VFL, except with McStay. This will be De Goey's third game back and you'd expect him to show significant improvement tonight. Elliott whose future seemed under a cloud a month or so back makes a welcome return, though realistically he will lack match practice and may struggle. I look forward to Kreuger playing his old club and hopefully providing some evidence why the Cats should have retained him. This is a must win for the Pies. Lose this and their season is over.

The last couple of weeks the Pies have had senior players make long awaited returns from injury and lost both games. Unfortunately we can't afford to allow the players to ease slowly back in and generate some form in the VFL, except with McStay. This will be De Goey's third game back and you'd expect him to show significant improvement tonight. Elliott whose future seemed under a cloud a month or so back makes a welcome return, though realistically he will lack match practice and may struggle. I look forward to Kreuger playing his old club and hopefully providing some evidence why the Cats should have retained him. This is a must win for the Pies. Lose this and their season is over.
Retaining Kreuger wasn't out choice. We didn't want to lose him, we just wanted him to play KPD.

JDG always stars against Geelong. Pendles also tends to bring his best against us. And no doubt the Daicos boys will dominate. If they give the fleet of small forwards good supply as I expect, we will be seriously under the pump.

Always nervous facing the Pies. Even when we're comfortably favoured, it always seems like we get away with a tight win, at best and they routinely get the better of us. The anomaly is the 2020 semi final, but you can almost forget that one as a game against Collingwood that wasn't at the MCG.

Absolutely enormous game for both teams... I'm hopeful but not confident.

Fun fact: of the six premierships the teams have combined for in the 2000s, last year was the only time the eventual premier didn't need to beat the other in a final.

JDG always stars against Geelong. Pendles also tends to bring his best against us. And no doubt the Daicos boys will dominate. If they give the fleet of small forwards good supply as I expect, we will be seriously under the pump.
I hope you are right just as I am sure that you hope you are wrong! Your boys always give us a torrid time.

Salivating.
These 2 teams often have good battles.
2011 GF I was watching on a big big screen abroad, was obliterated by these visiting Cats fans who kept buying me shots. I'll never forgive those blokes.

And I won't forgive the Cats either if they lose tonight.

Missed Cats last games - how is the forward- half functioning without big Tom? I reckon there's potentially a new look for them.

Autopsy AFL 2024 Round 18 - Pies v Cats Fri July 12th 7:40pm AEST (MCG)

Back