Coach Alastair Clarkson IV - HFC Racism Investigation Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

A legal letter sent by lawyers for Brisbane Lions coach Chris Fagan on Sunday helped turn the Hawthorn racism scandal on its head.

The email informed the four First Nations families at the centre of the saga that Fagan was set to launch a Supreme Court injunction against the AFL and its independent investigation panel.

The families were told that the move would see them become “defendants” in a court battle over the racism probe where they would be identified “by name”.

The Fagan letter was described by one support person as a factor in the families’ decision to agree to a deal with the league.

If successful in achieving an injunction, the AFL’s independent investigation would have come to an immediate end.

The email from Clayton Utz partner Scott Sharry and senior associate Stephen Hurford to the families’ lawyer Leon Zwier reads: “Our client intends in the week commencing 29 May 2023, and no later than Thursday, 1 June 2023, to commence a proceeding in the Supreme Court of Victoria for orders in the nature of permanent injunctions restraining the continuation of the investigation.

“The proceeding … will include each of your clients as defendants, identifying each by name, on the basis that they are (with others) necessary parties because they are directly affected by the relief to be sought.

“The proceeding to be filed will not disclose any “information” as defined in the Deed concerning your clients other than their names.

“As the proceeding progresses, however, additional ‘information’ will be disclosed as part of the proceeding. Your clients will be notified in advance of each disclosure pursuant to the Deed.”

The families discussed the contents of the email with Zwier during a crisis meeting on Monday.

The letter gave the families until 4pm Monday to respond.

The prospect of a deal between the players and their families and the AFL appeared dead in the water on Sunday, but on Tuesday night league boss Gillon McLachlan announced the Hawthorn racism investigation was over and that no “adverse findings’’ were found against former Hawks coach Alastair Clarkson, former club football manager Fagan and former welfare boss Jason Burt.

In turn, the families agreed not to take legal action against the league.

The families, who had been determined to receive an apology from the former Hawks trio, were instead given a generic apology by the league to any Indigenous player who had suffered racism in the history of the game.

At least one of the families involved now regrets agreeing to the AFL deal in the belief they were used as a pawn aimed at resolving the eight-month racism dispute.

Fagan engaged law firm Clayton Utz after the scandal erupted in grand final week last year.

The former Hawks footy boss has repeatedly said he would welcome the opportunity to give his side of the story.

“I am not a party to the agreement between the complainants, the investigation panel and the AFL,” Fagan said in a statement on Tuesday.
“But I stand vindicated by it. I have made no concessions. There are none to make.

“I have always vigorously defended myself, and will always do so, as I have done nothing wrong.”

Clarkson, Fagan and Burt have all denied wrongdoing.

Fagan and Zwier were contacted for comment.

**** me dead, this is a lawyers wet dream. What an absolute ****ing mess. There is nothing more to suggest anything else. This is embarrassing for everyone involved and it is nothing more than click bait making $$$ … ignoring the initial claims. This has literally turned into a cash grab by Media and Lawyers. How ****ing disrespectful to the First Nations people and the Accused. This is ****ing FUBAR

Haha, an article having a go at other journalists work itself having to correct factual errors within in their story.

Sums the whole media landscspe.
Yeah its a bit rich.

but i thought he'd been charged. Just being arrested changes my opinion of him a bit.

Haha, an article having a go at other journalists work itself having to correct factual errors within in their story.

Sums the whole media landscspe.
Imagine a Clarke and Dawe skit with this shit.

RIP.

* me dead, this is a lawyers wet dream. What an absolute ******* mess. There is nothing more to suggest anything else. This is embarrassing for everyone involved and it is nothing more than click bait making $$$ … ignoring the initial claims. This has literally turned into a cash grab by Media and Lawyers. How ******* disrespectful to the First Nations people and the Accused. This is ******* FUBAR
At the very least we know who is evil in all of this. Media and ****ing Lawyers…. And real estate agents. And banks. And any capitalist pigs.

Essentially thats what all of this is. ****ing making money. Dogs, burn the campaigners to the ground

At the very least we know who is evil in all of this. Media and ******* Lawyers…. And real estate agents. And banks. And any capitalist pigs.

Essentially thats what all of this is. ******* making money. Dogs, burn the campaigners to the ground
Pinko Tree Hugger.

A legal letter sent by lawyers for Brisbane Lions coach Chris Fagan on Sunday helped turn the Hawthorn racism scandal on its head.

The email informed the four First Nations families at the centre of the saga that Fagan was set to launch a Supreme Court injunction against the AFL and its independent investigation panel.

The families were told that the move would see them become “defendants” in a court battle over the racism probe where they would be identified “by name”.

The Fagan letter was described by one support person as a factor in the families’ decision to agree to a deal with the league.

If successful in achieving an injunction, the AFL’s independent investigation would have come to an immediate end.

The email from Clayton Utz partner Scott Sharry and senior associate Stephen Hurford to the families’ lawyer Leon Zwier reads: “Our client intends in the week commencing 29 May 2023, and no later than Thursday, 1 June 2023, to commence a proceeding in the Supreme Court of Victoria for orders in the nature of permanent injunctions restraining the continuation of the investigation.

“The proceeding … will include each of your clients as defendants, identifying each by name, on the basis that they are (with others) necessary parties because they are directly affected by the relief to be sought.

“The proceeding to be filed will not disclose any “information” as defined in the Deed concerning your clients other than their names.

“As the proceeding progresses, however, additional ‘information’ will be disclosed as part of the proceeding. Your clients will be notified in advance of each disclosure pursuant to the Deed.”

The families discussed the contents of the email with Zwier during a crisis meeting on Monday.

The prospect of a deal between the players and their families and the AFL appeared dead in the water on Sunday, but on Tuesday night league boss Gillon McLachlan announced the Hawthorn racism investigation was over and that no “adverse findings’’ were found against former Hawks coach Alastair Clarkson, former club football manager Fagan and former welfare boss Jason Burt.

The families, who had been determined to receive an apology from the former Hawks trio, were instead given a generic apology by the league to any Indigenous player who had suffered racism in the history of the game.

At least one of the families involved now regrets agreeing to the AFL deal in the belief they were used as a pawn aimed at resolving the eight-month racism dispute.

Fagan engaged law firm Clayton Utz after the scandal erupted in grand final week last year.

The former Hawks footy boss has repeatedly said he would welcome the opportunity to give his side of the story.

“I am not a party to the agreement between the complainants, the investigation panel and the AFL,” Fagan said in a statement on Tuesday.
“But I stand vindicated by it. I have made no concessions. There are none to make.

“I have always vigorously defended myself, and will always do so, as I have done nothing wrong.”

So who leaked that?

Why's an injunction necessary if Fagan believes nothing untoward occurred? Does he simply feel hard done by by the fact he only had 48 hours before the ABC article was originally published? I'm no legal expert but that seems strange behaviour for a man claiming to be innocent

Seems he’s sick of having his name dragged through the mud publicly while the accusers, and the accusations, remain anonymous.

Why's an injunction necessary if Fagan believes nothing untoward occurred? Does he simply feel hard done by by the fact he only had 48 hours before the ABC article was originally published? I'm no legal expert but that seems strange behaviour for a man claiming to be innocent

You can use proceedings to wind up investigations in some rare circumstances; or injunctions to prevent someone defaming you (before it occurs); or in this case lifting the veil of anonymity may have been the goal despite it not being specifically about the reason for the injunction. Hard to say which specifically, or if it was a combination of all three.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’ve seen a few in here say the initial investigation didn’t cover any of Kennett’s tenure. From what I understand it was 2010-2015, so that doesn’t stack up as he was still there in 2010-11?

They weren’t given enough time to work out a better response FMD!!

Could be wrong. Is this why clarkson went to QLD?

The whole thing is arse-covering bullshit. But at the end of it, it has nothing to do with North Melbourne. What does is a game against Essendon on the weekend and you'd hope that would be the clubs main focus.
We will suffer some of the consequences if Clarko doesn't return.

Sources indicate that people who use the phrase "sources indicate" are just covering their arses so that they can't be held accountable in the event that what they say turns out to be total BS.
I would give this post a like, except for any unexpected reasons as to why I wouldn't want to give it a like.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back