Preview Bulldogs vs Brisbane

Remove this Banner Ad

Did you actually watch the game? Mclean was undeniably one of our best. Why don't you just omit Bont, Dahl and Macrae while you're at it? I know this is all personal opinion and it means nothing but I just don't understand how people come up with this garbage.
Agree, McLean was excellent. Clean by hand and foot, almost his best game I reckon. Showed versatility by coming off HB line also. A big tick for me.

The reason people are suggesting him is not so much his ruck work, we all know he'll get beaten in there, it's the other things that he brings, he's like another mid. The more games we pump into this guy the better.

I think there are other mids more qualified at this stage. Yes he needs games and the VFL is the perfect platform for him at the moment to get experience

What's the difference between undeveloped kids like Hipwood from Brisbane who is just as skinny as English yet he plays every week? No one is suggesting we throw English into the ruck for large stints. He's height could be important up forward, he's a competitor and that's all we'll need him to do up there and take an occasional ruck contest. That's only if Cloke and Boyd or Campbell aren't ready to go. We have no one else - and he's got the additional plus that he has the skills of a midfielder also.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I have to go back and watch the game but mclean looked like a passenger for most of the game
You probably should. He was easily among our better players. Got plenty of the ball, made good decisions and used it well, a lot of the time in a role he's largely unfamiliar with.
It was arguably one one of his best games for the club.

I have to go back and watch the game but mclean looked like a passenger for most of the game
The funny thing with McLean is i could not stand him when he had
the drop and lift technique for drawing high contact, but this year
he has nearly been decapitated twice in recent games and he gets
nothing. I thought he was good on Friday, but he has become one
of our faceless transition players who swarm between the arcs
and rack up big ineffective numbers.

What's the difference between undeveloped kids like Hipwood from Brisbane who is just as skinny as English yet he plays every week? No one is suggesting we throw English into the ruck for large stints. He's height could be important up forward, he's a competitor and that's all we'll need him to do up there and take an occasional ruck contest. That's only if Cloke and Boyd or Campbell aren't ready to go. We have no one else - and he's got the additional plus that he has the skills of a midfielder also.

The difference - Hipworth does not play in the ruck - physically the most demanding position on the ground. Nearly all ruck contests are predictable [especially now there is no third man up] and generally are determined by the physical attributes of the combatants {reach, strength,technique}

The difference - Hipworth does not play in the ruck - physically the most demanding position on the ground. Nearly all ruck contests are predictable [especially now there is no third man up] and generally are determined by the physical attributes of the combatants {reach, strength,technique}

As I mentioned I don't expect him to ruck, despite take an occasional contest in the forward line.

Marcus Adams to FF and Collins to come in at FB
Knowing your a Perth boy I'm a little surprised you'd want this Scrag.
I always remember thinking when I saw West Perth play that we could really do with Adams but always noted he could never play forward.
If he was an ordinary forward at WAFL level I'd imagine much the same for us. He did play a half or so up forward last year for pretty much the exact results I saw whenever he went forward at West Perth.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I barely noticed him up in the stands until the third quarter, check stats at the end of the game and he's has 27 :huh:

I guess there's things we notice at the ground that are different to people watching on telly. It's easy for people to see who's winning the footy on telly, but at times it can be difficult at the ground if there's a lot of congestion around stoppages unless it's on your side of the ground.

M Boyd for mine is concerning, his production seems vastly down.

I always remember thinking when I saw West Perth play that we could really do with Adams but always noted he could never play forward.
If he was an ordinary forward at WAFL level I'd imagine much the same for us. He did play a half or so up forward last year for pretty much the exact results I saw whenever he went forward at West Perth.
It was against Carlton when we got a few in game injuries and Carlton's talls were annihilating him so we had to put Roughy back to help with the high ball.

He looked absolutely lost up forward, we were lucky to win that night actually, Carlton just didn't know how to convert forward entries as their midfield soundly beat us.

Smith & McLean were key players in us defeating North.

Smith's pressure and pressure inside the forward 50 - 15 tackles (does anyone know how many inside 50?), helped us maintain more ball in our 50 which we struggled to do vs Fremantle. As I've stated before Swing Cordy up froward vs Brisbane and bring Williams in for Cloke. Cordy is great defensively when he plays up forward and could help Clay play a bit more offensively like in the GWS PF.

McLean was one of our better decision makers and more efficient players - 27 disposals at 85% disposal efficiency. With the over-possessive gameplan we're playing this season, we need players like that through the midfield and half backline.

Neither player will be dropped, and in fact the only changes will be forced through injury. At the moment Cloke is the only one ruled out. I'd expect T.Boyd to play, Campbell may be rested but I'd say more likely to play if that Ankle is very minor.

Good point. Maybe Roberts forward would be better.

Smith & McLean were key players in us defeating North.

Smith's pressure and pressure inside the forward 50 - 15 tackles (does anyone know how many inside 50?), helped us maintain more ball in our 50 which we struggled to do vs Fremantle. As I've stated before Swing Cordy up froward vs Brisbane and bring Williams in for Cloke. Cordy is great defensively when he plays up forward and could help Clay play a bit more offensively like in the GWS PF.

McLean was one of our better decision makers and more efficient players - 27 disposals at 85% disposal efficiency. With the over-possessive gameplan we're playing this season, we need players like that through the midfield and half backline.

Neither player will be dropped, and in fact the only changes will be forced through injury. At the moment Cloke is the only one ruled out. I'd expect T.Boyd to play, Campbell may be rested but I'd say more likely to play if that Ankle is very minor.

I agree Williams has been emergency past 2 weeks and can play as a defender. Cordy is most likely to be second tall.

English isn't a forward. Doesn't have the natural positioning and leading patters.
Hopefully as professional paid coaches they can teach him.As this boy is our future.Until his body fills out CHF isn't a bad option ,with his mobility.Our forward coaches need to develop tall forwards.Track record has been horrendously poor.

Would you rather a Campbell/Cordy ruck duo or a Campbell/English? this is of course considering Boyd and Cloke are omitted and Campbell's ankle is ok...

Whilst not ideal I think Brisbane are a good team to debut English because even if he's comfortably beaten in the contests/hitouts our midfield dominance SHOULD negate the impact!

I don't see what other options we have if both Boyd and Cloke are out?

Would you rather a Campbell/Cordy ruck duo or a Campbell/English? this is of course considering Boyd and Cloke are omitted and Campbell's ankle is ok...

Whilst not ideal I think Brisbane are a good team to debut English because even if he's comfortably beaten in the contests/hitouts our midfield dominance SHOULD negate the impact!

I don't see what other options we have if both Boyd and Cloke are out?
Why would Boyd be omitted?

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Bulldogs vs Brisbane

Remove this Banner Ad

Back