Preview Changes: Round 12 v St Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Aaaaargh

After the first 8 or 9 times I let it go but Jesus it's not ******* SSP

It's Sam Pepper Powell!!!!! SPP

If you don't know his name you can't be following his progress too closely

Nick off Sanders, I am not in the mood for your crap today, Here is a hint next time mention it early in a more polite way Like most would do. And I would have acknowledged and thanked you for it. And yes I have an injury affected reading and writing difficulties and will appreciate being corrected.

Rubbish...and a simplistic view.

My selection philosophy is:

You don't try to acceptable levels, you face the axe...so yeah, in terms of EFFORT, I'm happy for players to get the arse on one soft performance because one soft performance loses cutthroat finals.

But in terms of PERFORMANCE...if you try but don't play well then your selection rightly depends on your performance history over time (brownie points), potential for future improvement, and the teams immediate needs.

Occassionally, someone performing to an ok level simply has to be axed for team structure or to accomodate a better player.
Yeah but that was a game we won by 100 and had 32 more inside 50s when Fremantle were playing like shit. Hardly the most relevant sample.

Which one should I read?????

Doedee in for an injured Brown
Beech in for Otten, structural change
Knight in for DMac who is omitted

All 3 players coming in are good one on one in the contest

It's so frustrating to see that when Gov went down, we went with someone as tall and immobile as Otten.

Beech IS and SHOULD have been the replacement for Otten. Provides us with a stronger marking target up forward, but is also more mobile, can push into the midfield and will apply a shit ton more defensive pressure.

Otten should go this week...or choose another tall forward because the current set-up is madness imo.
Would like to see that change this week, I just don't think they will until McGovern is ready,
And to be Honest, I would Go Otten for Beech, Reasoning behind Otten is his pace, height and goal scoring when compared to JJ.
With Beech or McGovern or even Menzel in the side for one of the talls. It gives us a Defensive minded forward with pace who can score, and allows CC to play higher. Instead, CC has to play on one the opposition running defender restricting his influence or there ability to play him in the Middle.

Would love to see CC run in the middle next time we play Geelong.

Anyone else hear Jono Brown last night on AA? Im still in shock that he has put the power ahead of us in the pecking order.. he thinks ports brand will stand up in September. wft?? Brisbane, Carlton, hawks, swans, freo, suns ... how can beating those sides mean they are ahead of us when they lost to us, gws, cats and west coast.. who will be there in September.
wow

Anyone else hear Jono Brown last night on AA? Im still in shock that he has put the power ahead of us in the pecking order.. he thinks ports brand will stand up in September. wft?? Brisbane, Carlton, hawks, swans, freo, suns ... how can beating those sides mean they are ahead of us when they lost to us, gws, cats and west coast.. who will be there in September.
wow
That's analysis now though. Long term conclusions are drawn from short term events.

On AFL 360 their attitude towards Collingwood for instance has ebbed and flowed between Collingwood are in crisis Buckley won't last the season & Collingwood are back and can make the finals... depending purely on what happened that weekend.

Watching 360 last night a couple of things stood out as relevant to out current discussion.

Interview with Nick DalSanto where he talked about the good years in St Kilda where he had trust in the integrity of selection even when he was dropped and admits he needed it and the leadership where Riewoldt told him some home truths and how that helped.

I compare that to how Tex is playing and how our selector's dont make enough changes or send a message when performance effort is down

Then (earlier) they showed the grab of Pikes interview basically having a crack at the media as if nothing major is wrong.

Our culture is shit right now.. Mediocrity accepted.. Head in the sand... We will make and bomb out of the finals unless we start to work it out

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Watching 360 last night a couple of things stood out as relevant to out current discussion.

Interview with Nick DalSanto where he talked about the good years in St Kilda where he had trust in the integrity of selection even when he was dropped and admits he needed it and the leadership where Riewoldt told him some home truths and how that helped.

I compare that to how Tex is playing and how our selector's dont make enough changes or send a message when performance effort is down

Then (earlier) they showed the grab of Pikes interview basically having a crack at the media as if nothing major is wrong.

Our culture is shit right now.. Mediocrity accepted.. Head in the sand... We will make and bomb out of the finals unless we start to work it out

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Besides Mackay and Jenkins for one game, when have we ever dropped a "best 22" player for poor form?

Answer is never under Don. The philosophy to keep picking the same players, irrespective of form, because we are winning leads to complacency.

The get some respect back and to be a contender again we have to win the games against the dogs and Cats next month here at AO.. if we lose both of them or lose even 1 of them we should all get ready for a elim or semi final exit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Besides Mackay and Jenkins for one game, when have we ever dropped a "best 22" player for poor form?

Answer is never under Don. The philosophy to keep picking the same players, irrespective of form, because we are winning leads to complacency.

Pyke is a conservative man, surely all on here could pick his character when he was appointed, Ive said numerous times he is conservative, its not hard to see that, is it?

And like Bevo and clarko he will do it the way he thinks it should be done, which I prefer to that of a coach that does what others tell him, he may get it wrong but he may get it right

Which they got access to by actually bottoming out.
After 2018/19 if there is no flag the club needs to bite the bullet and bottom out.. AND Ballsy trading... trade tex out when he hits 30.. he is a massive lug now.. by the age of 30 he will be even slower. try get something for him then at the end of 2020.

Pyke is a conservative man, surely all on here could pick his character when he was appointed, Ive said numerous times he is conservative, its not hard to see that, is it?

And like Bevo and clarko he will do it the way he thinks it should be done, which I prefer to that of a coach that does what others tell him, he may get it wrong but he may get it right
Being conservative is fine, but it feels like we're way past the point of conservatism and straight into complete stubbornness (with maybe a bit blind faith and/or a touch of arrogance?) over issues we have with both personnel and game plan.

Nobody is saying they need to chuck the entire game plan out the window, it works, that much is obvious from some of the scores we've put up this year. But we've also lost the exact same way against Geelong X3, against Sydney, against Melbourne and against North Melbourne.

The apparent refusal to acknowledge that isn't conservatism, it's heading into downright pig headedness territory.

He has already been found wrong and he is doing the same things he was doing when he was wrong last season. This is a 'hope for the best' fantasy you are engaging in.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

What's the definition of insanity?

In terms of 'best available 22' it is clearly Brown out, Knight in. But given those two are not like for like, there is a question around whether the structure can be maintained with that change.
Surely McGov is underdone and should play SANFL. Cheney and Doedee seem to be in the mix too.

Unchanged last week was an easy call, this week is much harder.

But I will call the 'best available 22' philosophy - Knight for Brown with a rejig, probably Otten back.

That's analysis now though. Long term conclusions are drawn from short term events.

On AFL 360 BigFooty their attitude towards Collingwood (insert team) for instance has ebbed and flowed between Collingwood (insert team) are in crisis Buckley (Insert coach/player) won't last the season & Collingwood (insert team) are back and can make the finals... depending purely on what happened that weekend.

Think that about covers it :D

Changes i would like to see for the Saints are;
Out; Mackay, Otten, Brown
In; Knight, Beech, Cheney
Mackay out because he is Mackay
Beech for Otten for more forward line pressure and Beech can pinch hit in the middle Otten can't do either.
Cheney for Brown straight swap.
Knight in cause even though he hasn't exactly torn it up in the 2's he showed in an earlier game this year (can't remember which one it was) that he can step up to the occasion. Good game to bring him back in as well to get him up and going again......he can't do any worse than Moookay surely.

Being conservative is fine, but it feels like we're way past the point of conservatism and straight into complete stubbornness (with maybe a bit blind faith and/or a touch of arrogance?) over issues we have with both personnel and game plan.

Nobody is saying they need to chuck the entire game plan out the window, it works, that much is obvious from some of the scores we've put up this year. But we've also lost the exact same way against Geelong X3, against Sydney, against Melbourne and against North Melbourne.

The apparent refusal to acknowledge that isn't conservatism, it's heading into downright pig headedness territory.

he will do what he considers best for the team to win as does Bevo and Clarko, no one was expecting him to come in first year and win a flag, could he this year? Maybe

Entering the finals lasdt year did anyone expect WB to win the flag from 7th???

As for how we lost we struggle with physical pressure the only player we have in the two's that can deal with that is Thommo and no one wants him anyway

I dont know how we will go, but one thing is certain in my mind our list that we have drafted isnt as good as the supporters think its a fair list but has holes

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Changes: Round 12 v St Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Back