Preview Changes round 9 vs West Coast Eagles

Remove this Banner Ad

Why would we bring in mcadam after 1 average SANFL game (from reports)? He provides little pressure in the fwd line this year
I agree, but the pesky AFL requires us to name 23 players.

Yep. Not sure where this Newchurch stuff is coming from. He's some way off even getting managed minutes at AFL level.
Agree Berry to spend time mostly forward. Would love to see a tall forward come out as well, Fog for me, and give O'Connor a run through the middle as well. Also think there's some opportunity to push a small defender forward, and bring in Chayce Jones.
Changes in brackets are what i'd like to see, but probably won't)

Out:
McHenry
Murphy
McPherson (sub)
(Mackay)
(Fogarty)

In:
McAdam
Hately
Worrell/Murray
(O'Connor)
(Jones)

Why would McAdam come in?

He stunk it up for 4 weeks in the AFL, then went to the SANFL and was probably the worst player on the ground. I'd think he needs some form before he gets picked again.

He stunk it up for 4 weeks in the AFL, then went to the SANFL and was probably the worst player on the ground. I'd think he needs some form before he gets picked again.

With two small forwards out we will pick one of McAdam or Newchurch. Neither are suitable options

And it has to be McAdam.

Or, as Kane has suggested, we move Brown forward. Perhaps bring Jones in for a shot in defence.

Rowe, Berry and Brown as small forwards, with Sloane and Schoenberg rotating through half forward.

This is the type of game to give Ben Davis a run, if he’s fit enough after his layoff.

Or, as Kane has suggested, we move Brown forward. Perhaps bring Jones in for a shot in defence.

Rowe, Berry and Brown as small forwards, with Sloane and Schoenberg rotating through half forward.

This is the type of game to give Ben Davis a run, if he’s fit enough after his layoff.
Schoenberg would be great in a small forward role, has shown he has an eye for the goals. Happy to run him and Berry forward for this week give them a break from the crash and bash would do them good.

I think it's time we get creative.

Dood to play forward.
Tex in the midfield.
Laird as a small forward.
Sholl in the ruck.

Let's mix it up!

Game will be played in our back half. I reckon we stack the side with defenders

B McAsey - Butts - Worrell
HB Doedee - Borlase - Murray
C McPherson - Kelly - Mackay
HF Hamill - Himmelberg - Brown
F Smith - Fogarty - Seedsman
R O'Brien - Sloane - Keays

I Jones - Schoenberg - Laird - Berry

Out: McHenry, Murphy, Rowe, Walker, Thilthorpe, Sholl
In: McAsey, Worrell, Borlase, Murray, McPherson, Jones

Brown won't be playing forward. There's creative and then there's fanciful.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Out:
Murphy, McHenry, Walker (rested), Mackay, McPherson (Sub)

In:
Mackay (Sub), O’Connor, Hately, Jones, Murray

Could also omit Kelly for worrell debut but would prefer it to come at home.

If Kennedy plays, move Himmelberg to play back on Allen, so we have three key backs. Doedee back to his normal role. Fog plays permanent forward. O’Connor and Hately rotating forward/midfield. Jones as back/mid rotation.

Forward line looks a little suspect but not too much you can do with injuries. Walker needs to a managed and McAdam can’t be brought back on form. Surely we look at this game as a write off anyway, no point pushing players who are carrying niggles like Tex and McPherson.

I would take matty wright on our AFL list 10 billion times more than I’d have mookay on it..

Thats the craziest thing.. people would scoff at the club if it picked wright up in the mid season draft, and probably rightly so, yet this bloke...
View attachment 1124427
This bloke isnt even fit to tie matty wrights boot laces...

Matty wright’s “experience and leadership” is the type of experience and leadership i’d be happy to put into the AFL side if they are going to stubbornly stick to this “must have a certain quota of experienced players in the team” agenda they clearly have at the moment..
I wasn't really serious about it, more saying it's not as far fetched as people would think - but when you put it that way, I mean, at least Matty Wright can stick a tackle.....

See you can get great numbers running away from the ball
No, I remember that game, and I'm pretty sure at least 90% of the 16km was the little circles he ran around in during his 3 possessions trying to find a clever kick around a corner

And it has to be McAdam.
I don't think we will and I think it would be negligent if we did.

I'm adding Jones in to defence. Pushing Hamill to the wing and Seedsman to more of an onball role.
That will push Sloane and Berry to play more as forwards.

OUT:
McHenry
Murphy
Himmelberg
McPherson (sub)

IN:
Jones
Worrell
Murray
Hately (sub)

Brown Butts Doedee
Jones Murray Smith
Hamill Laird Sholl
Berry Walker Thilthorpe
Rowe Fogarty Sloane

1R: ROB Keays Seedsman

INT: Schoenberg Kelly Mackay Worrell

I'd like to see this. We always talk about midfield potential and very rarely do players ever successfully move out of defence (Laird being the exception). Luke Brown is another I'd like to see around the ball. Apart from last week he has gone very stale down back.
I have said since I first saw Doedee come in to the side that I thought he was a future midfielder. He has great hands, and is deceptively evasive, I can only hope that we haven't tried it to this pont due to Tom's injury history. If we never give the Dood a shot in the midfield to see what he can do it will be a huge wasted opportunity for our club.

On SM-A205YN using BigFooty.com mobile app

He had 6 goals in the last 4 AFL games, hardly stunk it up did he?

2nd highest goalscorer and we dropped him after ONE game with zero goals.

Mark my words he'll come straight back in, because a fit McAdam is better than any experimental ideas floating around like Luke-fu(king-Brown playing up forward.

McAdam and Hately are absolute locks to come back in, the rest is up for debate.

He had 6 goals in the last 4 AFL games, hardly stunk it up did he?

2nd highest goalscorer and we dropped him after ONE game with zero goals.

Mark my words he'll come straight back in, because a fit McAdam is better than any experimental ideas floating around like Luke-fu(king-Brown playing up forward.

McAdam and Hately are absolute locks to come back in, the rest is up for debate.
Seriously? He had 3 of those in the last quarter against North (who had fully given up) after giving away 3 goals in the 3rd quarter. He got two goals gifted to him in the goal square after other people did the work. He had 8 disposals and 1 goal in the SANFL.

McAdam at his best is great. He has been so far below his best it isn't funny.

I would rather Hately take Mchenry's spot & berry move to murphy's role. Then add another mid in - O'connor it would seem

If we take one of our FOUR talls out, preferably Fog or Himmelberg, then there's plenty of room for McAdam, Hately and O'Connor into the team, whilst also pushing Berry forward.

My dream selection this week would be:

Out:
Murphy
McHenry
Mackay
McPherson
Fogarty/Himmelberg

In:
McAdam
Hately
Jones
Worrell
O'Connor

McPherson - Sub

Makes us smaller up forward, taller down back, and brings in a few new debutantes who have been playing a solid block of SANFL.

Last edited:
If we take one of our FOUR talls out, preferably Fog or Himmelberg, then there's plenty of room for McAdam, Hately and O'Connor into the team, whilst also pushing Berry forward.

My dream selection this week would be:

Out:
Murphy
McHenry
Mackay
McPherson
Fogarty/Himmelberg

In:
McAdam
Hately
Jones
Worrell
O'Connor

McPherson - Sub
Long term I think that's how I would like it but would rather thilthorpe not have the 2nd defender at this point. I also like frampton cause he can crash a pack which we don't otherwise have. I saw your other post on Mcadam and statistically he had his best games prior to being dropped. I think it was the emotional reaction from the giants loss that made him a scape goat. The only thing is like you mentioned if he comes back in we probably can't play Frampton/ berg

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Changes round 9 vs West Coast Eagles

Remove this Banner Ad

Back