Game Day Collingwood vs Richmond - Sunday 28th July 2024 - 1:10pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Fly needs to drop the positive platitudes which everyone has now realised are ultimately hollow and meaningless and actually get to the crux of why nearly 90% of a Premiership team/list has dropped off in form between seasons

I'm not sure I've ever seen in my time watching football, any team have such a large majority of first choice players down on form, let alone a Premiership team.

You can literally name on one hand the number of players who have genuinely improved on last year or at least maintained their standard:

• Nick Daicos
  • Hoskin-Elliott
  • Darcy Cameron
  • John Noble
  • Jeremy Howe
It’s not pleasant to watch after the last two years, we’ve been worked out and the fun times are over, need some more mongrel and a few home truths need to be spoken. Other teams are going past us and we need to look at our ladder position as a reality check. I love what Hawthorn have done and even watching Norf was impressive as they keep the development going.

The Darcy Moore interview after the game was the same positive platitudes, they sound good coming out, that feeling of nice warm piss in your pocket on a stiff winters afternoon.

Geez we are missing Murph

The only good thing about this season is Carlton won’t win it 🤞 (I shouldn’t but I did)

We should have a goal of finishing better than the Hawks, our draft hand is tied to it and a very small win.

Out: Kreuger (con), Markov (omt), JDG (rested), Pendles (managed)
In: Cox, Parker, Allan, Jiath

Maynard, Moore, Quaynor
Noble, Howe, Jiath

Cameron, Allan, Crisp
Sidebottom, N Daicos, J Daicos

Hill, Mcstay, Elliott
Richards, McInnes, Cox

Parker, WHE, Lipinski, Sullivan

Sub: Long

I tend not to be a big one of the "toys out the cot - play all the kids", but trying to look optimistically for the remainder of 2024 I'm happy to look at it as a chance to get some continued exposure and time in to some of our younger talent. I have a healthy expectation that we'll be back amongst it in 2025, so I'd personally love to see us give the remaining block of games as exposure to Allan, Parker, TJ, as a base for 2025 for them to continue to build on and show us a glimpse of what they've got. Some of the "holes" or question marks on our list could be answered by some of the existing talent on our list, we might as well take an opportunity to look at it when the opportunity presents itself like it has now.

Pendles and JDG for mine are clearly playing with limitations on their bodies, Pendles has not looked right since returning from that arm injury, and JDG is being hampered by that groin. We are in a position now to let them get themselves right for whatever remaining games they can be fully fit for and to build in to 2025.

Maynard, Moore, Quaynor
Noble, Howe, Jiath

Cameron, Allan, Crisp

Hill, Mcstay, Elliott
Richards, McInnes, Cox

You don't think Harrison is in our best 22 at the moment. I thought he has done well so far this year from what I have seen.

You don't think Harrison is in our best 22 at the moment. I thought he has done well so far this year from what I have seen.
I agree - I think he's shown he will be a good player.

I didn't mention him as I know he was listed as a "managed" out, so unsure on what the intention is on bringing him back this week either in the AFL or VFL. If he's fully fit, and it was a pure management call, I'd be happy to see him in the 22 as well at AFL level.

Maynard, Moore, Quaynor
Noble, Howe, Jiath

Cameron, Allan, Crisp

Hill, Mcstay, Elliott
Richards, McInnes, Cox

I tend not to be a big one of the "toys out the cot - play all the kids", but trying to look optimistically for the remainder of 2024 I'm happy to look at it as a chance to get some continued exposure and time in to some of our younger talent. I have a healthy expectation that we'll be back amongst it in 2025, so I'd personally love to see us give the remaining block of games as exposure to Allan, Parker, TJ, as a base for 2025 for them to continue to build on and show us a glimpse of what they've got. Some of the "holes" or question marks on our list could be answered by some of the existing talent on our list, we might as well take an opportunity to look at it when the opportunity presents itself like it has now.

Pendles and JDG for mine are clearly playing with limitations on their bodies, Pendles has not looked right since returning from that arm injury, and JDG is being hampered by that groin. We are in a position now to let them get themselves right for whatever remaining games they can be fully fit for and to build in to 2025.
Allan didn't even play in the VFL on Sunday. And from all reports TJ is clearly not ready for an AFL return based on his past few VFL matches.

JDG can sit in the forward line & kick a goal or 3 & Pendles can still offer more on the field than sitting on the bench.

Maynard, Moore, Quaynor
Noble, Howe, Jiath

Cameron, Allan, Crisp

Hill, Mcstay, Elliott
Richards, McInnes, Cox

Pendlebury is on track for his 400th game against Carlton.

It’s our home game and will be a massive night for the club.

Are we ever. Explains why the club kept trying with him over summer, and in the early part of the season. They were desperate for him to continue, as they knew what was coming. Essentially a disaster down back.

If Cox,Mcreery and Schultz come back we’ll have our strongest team in more than two months.But of course with the way we’ve been playing,that doesn’t really mean anything.The players have to want to win first of all,so there’s no guarantee of anything.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Come to the conclusion there's still several games left to turn this s##t show around. Let's be positive guys.

Yes Murphy's a huge dint, but he's one player in a team of 18. Surely the sum of our parts can overcome this deficiency?

Come on pies, I have faith. Let's take this on and give it our all starting with Richmond this week.

Side by side

On SM-S901E using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think the Pies should have one last crack at trying to fluke a back to back. We need to win the next 5 including 3 against top 3. Then need to win 4 finals.

McCreery, Schulz coming back in added to Elliott, Richards and Hill (maybe harrison) means we are stacked for small forwards.

The only difference making move I think the club can do is to put Hill across half back. It worked for Leon Davis in 2011 and if Hill can play that Daicos like role of 2022 and with our game plan it could be highly affective.

Tell him to back himself and be prepared to give up 2 goals away from risk taking.

In:
Schulz, McCreery, Cox
Out:
Kreuger, Markov, Long, Sullivan

Jiath or Bytel to come in maybe both.

It’s not pleasant to watch after the last two years, we’ve been worked out and the fun times are over, need some more mongrel and a few home truths need to be spoken. Other teams are going past us and we need to look at our ladder position as a reality check. I love what Hawthorn have done and even watching Norf was impressive as they keep the development going.

The Darcy Moore interview after the game was the same positive platitudes, they sound good coming out, that feeling of nice warm piss in your pocket on a stiff winters afternoon.

The only good thing about this season is Carlton won’t win it 🤞 (I shouldn’t but I did)

We should have a goal of finishing better than the Hawks, our draft hand is tied to it and a very small win.
I think many outside of the club have already forgotten about Murphy and the impact of his retirement. We have had our two anchors at either end on the sidelines all year- not a great way to start a season. We have then copped endless injuries and had many players nowhere near their output last year.

We may have a clearer picture about this whole year when it ends. It seems everything that could go wrong has, starting with Graeme Wright.

I think the Pies should have one last crack at trying to fluke a back to back. We need to win the next 5 including 3 against top 3. Then need to win 4 finals.

McCreery, Schulz coming back in added to Elliott, Richards and Hill (maybe harrison) means we are stacked for small forwards.

The only difference making move I think the club can do is to put Hill across half back. It worked for Leon Davis in 2011 and if Hill can play that Daicos like role of 2022 and with our game plan it could be highly affective.

Tell him to back himself and be prepared to give up 2 goals away from risk taking.

In:
Schulz, McCreery, Cox
Out:
Kreuger, Markov, Long, Sullivan

Jiath or Bytel to come in maybe both.
Either Bytel or Finn must come in and be told to play pure, inside mid. Whichever one looks more desperate for the opportunity, select him.
No way we can win any game without an inside mid.
For a while, Pendles, Crisp, Naicos, and Lipinski were able to combine and cover the deficiency. This strategy got quickly worked out, and was never sustainable anyway.

I’d like the coaching staff get a bit more creative with the players we have. With Shoota, Harrison and McCreery likely all coming back in, why not give them a run through the midfield at various stages throughout the match? Other clubs have had success swinging players around but the Pies have been reluctant to change things up too much. Are there forwards who might thrive in defence? Are there defenders who might have success up forward or on a wing or on-ball? For example, Hawthorn put Blake Hardwick up forward in the second half of the Pies game in Gather Round in Adelaide and he booted 4 goals and nearly won them the match. Geelong put All-Australian defender in the midfield with success. Checkers was recruited as a key defender from Port Melbourne but as tried up forward and excelled. The Pies look stale and maybe we need to shake things up a bit

Come to the conclusion there's still several games left to turn this s##t show around. Let's be positive guys.

Yes Murphy's a huge dint, but he's one player in a team of 18. Surely the sum of our parts can overcome this deficiency?

Come on pies, I have faith. Let's take this on and give it our all starting with Richmond this week.

Side by side

On SM-S901E using BigFooty.com mobile app

This season has had so many twists and turns. Geelong, Melbourne, Port Adelaide, Essendon and the scum all looked average on the weekend.

Our form this year has not been good. It’s a tough season to get a read on. I trust the club that won us a flag are proactive on turning it around behind the scenes.

The Mighty Pies, the reigning premiers, will have one goal in mind this week - to pick a team to beat Richmond and play to win this game. Not play finals, not the Carlton game, not play the kids and not give up.

The players carrying restrictive injuries JDG, Josh Daicos, Pendles, Bruz and whoever else, have to play because they are better than the VFL replacements.

Darcy Cameron will benefit from Cox return. He has been a workhorse this year and is entitled to be stuffed. ALL our other talls have had an interrupted season. It’s so unlucky.

It’s not just our injuries this year; it’s our concussion protocols. Every week we seem to have an AFL or VFL player not available. It’s not even talked about. If Harry Mackay was cleared then why not Krueger. We had no back up for Darcy on the weekend and a rotation short for most of the game. Ffs
It’s affected us. Proud of the club but we seem to be the only club taking concussion seriously.

I will be there this week, even if it’s raining, barracking and supporting us and blocking out the crap that is being dished out by posters here. Some of you self righteous tossers are so unappreciative of the best two years I have seen from the Collingwood Football Club.

I saw us win a wooden spoon. I saw us nearly broke and out of business. I watched us when we had the supposed Colliwobbles - for 30 years before I saw one flag then I had to wait 10 more years and then another 13 years.

For all you nuff nuff list management experts, it seems half the Scums recent teams have been #1 or high draft picks and expensive trades. Last flag 1995!! Last Essendon flag 2000, Nth(1999), Port(2004), Brisbane (2003), Adelaide(1998) Lets not even mention Freo, GWS, GCS, or Saints. What about Melbourne? One flag in 50 years and wont win another with this underperforming lot. Bulldogs, one flag in 60 years!

Be proud. Side by side.

It’s just another game to win this week.

Another Pies game.

So I’m with you Ahkemit. Let’s have faith. We should turn up and be positive or stfu with the whinging self pity club bashing.

Go Pies!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I’d like the coaching staff get a bit more creative with the players we have. With Shoota, Harrison and McCreery likely all coming back in, why not give them a run through the midfield at various stages throughout the match? Other clubs have had success swinging players around but the Pies have been reluctant to change things up too much. Are there forwards who might thrive in defence? Are there defenders who might have success up forward or on a wing or on-ball? For example, Hawthorn put Blake Hardwick up forward in the second half of the Pies game in Gather Round in Adelaide and he booted 4 goals and nearly won them the match. Geelong put All-Australian defender in the midfield with success. Checkers was recruited as a key defender from Port Melbourne but as tried up forward and excelled. The Pies look stale and maybe we need to shake things up a bit
I think we have to try a forward at half back - as our half backs need strengthening and there isn't anyone in the VFL. Richards is the one I'd go with.

In the past 5 games with our season on the line our kicking efficiency has been 2.5% below the 17th worst team 😂😂

18th for inside 50’s yet we are the best in the league at turning an I50 into a shot at goal. Astonishing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back