Game Day Collingwood vs Richmond - Sunday 28th July 2024 - 1:10pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe Fly will learn something from Mitchell on how to play a small forward and all Schultz to play Ginnivan-like for the rest of the year rather than anchoring him inside F50
Other clubs don’t allow a player to run around un touched and get 32 uncontested possessions though

Maybe Fly will learn something from Mitchell on how to play a small forward and all Schultz to play Ginnivan-like for the rest of the year rather than anchoring him inside F50
A coach who has a prelim and a flag from his two completed seasons in the AFL needing to learning something from a coach who has built a bottom 3 side for his two completed seasons in the AFL.

In the past 5 games with our season on the line our kicking efficiency has been 2.5% below the 17th worst team 😂😂

18th for inside 50’s yet we are the best in the league at turning an I50 into a shot at goal. Astonishing.

Both bad and bizarre. Yet we’re still playing games with stats?

The strange thing this season is that we’ve actually been good to very good at stages in every match bar the Hawks. 30-40mins good, 30-40min bad, 30-40mins running on the same spot.

It’s not pleasant to watch after the last two years, we’ve been worked out and the fun times are over, need some more mongrel and a few home truths need to be spoken. Other teams are going past us and we need to look at our ladder position as a reality check. I love what Hawthorn have done and even watching Norf was impressive as they keep the development going.

The Darcy Moore interview after the game was the same positive platitudes, they sound good coming out, that feeling of nice warm piss in your pocket on a stiff winters afternoon.

Geez we are missing Murph

The only good thing about this season is Carlton won’t win it 🤞 (I shouldn’t but I did)

We should have a goal of finishing better than the Hawks, our draft hand is tied to it and a very small win.

It’s not pleasant to watch after the last two years, we’ve been worked out and the fun times are over, need some more mongrel and a few home truths need to be spoken. Other teams are going past us and we need to look at our ladder position as a reality check. I love what Hawthorn have done and even watching Norf was impressive as they keep the development going.

The Darcy Moore interview after the game was the same positive platitudes, they sound good coming out, that feeling of nice warm piss in your pocket on a stiff winters afternoon.

Geez we are missing Murph

The only good thing about this season is Carlton won’t win it 🤞 (I shouldn’t but I did)

We should have a goal of finishing better than the Hawks, our draft hand is tied to it and a very small win.
Don’t be too sure they won’t win
Sydney is looking very shaky
I hope your right

Pretty damning if you ask me.

We are still the most damaging team when the ball gets into our F50.

We just can’t get the ball down there enough and our ball use is a huge issue.

i think that has a lot to do with the ball being in our back half for so long, when we do eventually rush it forward , there is space galore. its like we are playing Pagans paddock without a Carey to kick it to though

Last edited:
I’d like the coaching staff get a bit more creative with the players we have. With Shoota, Harrison and McCreery likely all coming back in, why not give them a run through the midfield at various stages throughout the match? Other clubs have had success swinging players around but the Pies have been reluctant to change things up too much. Are there forwards who might thrive in defence? Are there defenders who might have success up forward or on a wing or on-ball? For example, Hawthorn put Blake Hardwick up forward in the second half of the Pies game in Gather Round in Adelaide and he booted 4 goals and nearly won them the match. Geelong put All-Australian defender in the midfield with success. Checkers was recruited as a key defender from Port Melbourne but as tried up forward and excelled. The Pies look stale and maybe we need to shake things up a bit
I’m a big fan of our coach and I expect a revitalised game and strategy next year but this year we haven’t adapted and it feels like the players are not as invested like previous two years.

I was always a big fan of Moore going forward early days until he showed his class down back and was happy to be wrong but maybe now might be the time. I would also be keen to see if Maynard could play further up the field and give Q a run through the middle.

I have not given up on this year, hoping for a spark against Richmond but our finals are pretty much now, need to go on a very long run of W’s.

Sadly, Richmond will win their second game for the year against us and they will do it comfortably by 4-5 goals. We struggle to put away bottom 4 teams. I predict Tom Lynch to have his one day out for the year and kick 5 goals against our defence while we allow him all the space and to be unmanned for most of the game.
This will bring a smile to the other 16 club supporters.

What a waste of a year, Hopefully 2025 bring us better luck with injuries.

They’ve already won 2 games. Beat the Crows and the Swans.

Edit: what others have said.

At that stage, all of Cameron, Cox, Steene, and Begg were available, but we were light on for depth on a wing. Pretty easy call really.
I don't recall anyone thinking either Begg or Steene would be ready as AFL ruckmen/forwards in 2024.

I thought it was pretty obvious we needed someone more developed in case either Cox or Cameron went down.

Out: Kreuger, Sullivan, Long, Markov & Reef
In: Cox, Macrae, Harvey Harrison, Dean & Schultz

Moore, Dean & Frampton in the backline.

Cox, McStay & Howe forward. Schultz to follow Cox & McStay.

Nick Daicos to the defence. Macrae just needs the rest of the year in the midfield. If he’s no good, we just rookie list or trade him. Career on the line.

Got no faith in Reef.

You’d need to have Frampton as an in if you’re looking for a Moore, Dean and Frampton in the back line.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't recall anyone thinking either Begg or Steene would be ready as AFL ruckmen/forwards in 2024.

I thought it was pretty obvious we needed someone more developed in case either Cox or Cameron went down.

I’d have been just as happy to run either Steene or Begg in the seniors as Teakle if/when the need arose. We also had Frampton.

I’m a big fan of our coach and I expect a revitalised game and strategy next year but this year we haven’t adapted and it feels like the players are not as invested like previous two years.

I was always a big fan of Moore going forward early days until he showed his class down back and was happy to be wrong but maybe now might be the time. I would also be keen to see if Maynard could play further up the field and give Q a run through the middle.

I have not given up on this year, hoping for a spark against Richmond but our finals are pretty much now, need to go on a very long run of W’s.
I wouldn’t be against continuing the trial of Darcy as a RUC/FWD, I know they tried it in the dying mins last week but it’s worth a shot as a full game. Geelong did something similar with De Koning and it’s worked nicely for them and it’s given him a spark as he was also very out of form in defence. Darcy’s marking ability would be pretty handy around the ground and up forward

Sadly, Richmond will win their second game for the year against us and they will do it comfortably by 4-5 goals. We struggle to put away bottom 4 teams. I predict Tom Lynch to have his one day out for the year and kick 5 goals against our defence while we allow him all the space and to be unmanned for most of the game.
This will bring a smile to the other 16 club supporters.

What a waste of a year, Hopefully 2025 bring us better luck with injuries.
It's more and more becoming about the coaches. We've come across 4 very well coached teams that needed a win and targetted us and our weaknesses.

I'm not convinced that Richmond are either well coached or will actually be targetting us as they're at a stage where they should be focussed on themselves and their game.

They didn't choose Ned ahead of Teakle, they chose Smit ahead of him. Long was picked after Teakle was taken.

That decision itself (Smit v Teakle) is the one to have an opinion on - would Smit have been there for our 2nd pick? Who knows?
Yep. You are right. I remember now thinking surely our tall man needs are NOW rather than five years into the future given the notoriously slow development of ruckman. And we already have one or maybe two project players in that position already.

The only times Schultz has been anchored inside F50 is when we’ve asked him to play as a pseudo key forward on a few occasions.

basically 9 wins in a row - The Aussie cricket team did it in ( or was it 8?) World Cup ... here's hoping

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back