List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 57 19.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 46 15.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 6.7%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

Last edited by a moderator:

For me the following are done:

LEdwards
Trew
Witherden
Gaff
Rotham
JJ
Baker
Sheed (pay out)
Darling (pay out)

The following are close but could still earn another year:

Burgiel
Rawlinson
Culley

Trade bait:

Cole
BWilliams
I like the outs but can't see the point in paying 2 players out.
At worst they can help the wafl side.

So our offseason should look like this
Sign: English (better than bw) and sign Cummings( I have a rumour that board member rowan jones likes him)
Trade: BW for pick 39 from rich
Trade pick 2/3 for suns picks 8 and 9.
Take to the draft picks 8, 9, 23, 39 and 59 ( use this pick to find a Humpries).
Use at least 1 high pick on a back man and the other on a quick small mid. Get Malakai because why not he could replace jj.

If we trade Cole I see us getting like an early pick in the 30s eg 33 from Richmond we could give them Cole and be for picks 33 and 39 replace them with those picks. Could we trade Culley or even Barnett to generate picks.

We have a top 3 pick, thats too much for Warner as a 1 for 1. I'd rather the pick tbh.

TB is worth more to us than a late first too.

Remember Warner looks good with elite mids around him, he won't have that with us
Wow, so 1 of the best mids in the comp isn't worth pick 3ish but barrass who by his own admission has a stuffed back and also won't be anywhere near our team by the time we're contending again is worth more than a late first rounder..wow

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pick 3 for Warner is not overs. Clubs with pick 3 hope to get a player as good as Warner in a few years. Previous pick 3s include Xavier Ellis, Masten, Stephen Hill, Dom Tyson. And yes, it also includes Judd, Martin and Angus Brayshaw. If you can take pick 3 and turn it into a gun without the development or speculation, you do it.
Warner isn't that good though. Tim Kelly was/is better and look at how he struggles.
Warner is no Dangerfield, Martin, Ablett, Judd who can justify paying an exorbitant price.

We 100% need to hit the draft with everything under #40 if nothing else but to keep flexible for when a good opportunity falls our way.
-Keep a good age profile
-Keep a low salary cap
-Have multiple shots
-Have 12-14 years of service, rather than 8.

Getting access to our NGA single handedly rules out an chance of a PP imo

I agree with some posters here duggan and Baker are probably parity and with the amount of holes in our list splitting our pic 3 for him wouldn't make sense
That's a strange take considering every team gets the same advantage

Jack Williams has arrived, need to get top value for waterman while we can.

The talk of getting half decent picks for players we don’t want in our, the worst in the afl, team is fantasy. If we’re generating draft currency this year it’s from either AFL assistance or trading good players (Barrass or waterman).

We badly need to sort the ruck issue at this club Bailey and Flynn ain’t it. Just tell knobel he’ll be number one banana playing afl all year if he comes to us and offer Fremantle a F2 for their pursuit of Warner or Kelly with us picking up part salary if they think he can light up a HFF for them and be a missing piece.

We have far too many player whose only solid skill is getting on the end of a chain once it occurs with no ability to impact winning or recovering the ball.

Time to say goodbye to Cripps, sheed, jones, ledwards, witherden, rotham, petrucelle and Cole for a start.

I’d really love to know what the unrest at the club in 2021 was that had Simmo calling for unity at the JW medal dinner. I don’t think we’ve had a cohesive unit genuinely focused on playing the best football they can consistently from this point on.

Badly need travaglia/lindsay types to move the ball up the ground but also badly need a genuine midfield core that knows how and wants to beat opponents.

Last edited:
Rather than give our pic 3 (prob 2) to freo for 2 of their firsts and leverage knobel would it be better to go after gold coast 2 firsts and Moyle. Considering witts and Ethan read on their list we could guarantee moyle every games and good $$$. Plus he's played afl and looked OK opposed to knobel who is developing at reseves/wafl league level. Yes I'm aware he's just signed at GC but contracts are fluid these days

Tom Downie Williamstown VFL ruckman
24 kicks, 4 handballs, 6 tackles, 11 clearances and 2 goals to go with 69 hit outs for 202 ranking points.

Can we trade Bailey to Williamstown?

I’m sure he’d be thrilled to play for a team named after him. Happy to pay his contract. Win-win.

I like the idea of Waterman Allen and Archer Reid up fwd next year but we need pressure small fwds at their feet.

Darling can play WAFL and play AFL if required or a farewell

Sent from my SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app
Jack Williams is the 3rd tall and back up ruck .

Still only 20 and clearly better forward and back up ruck than bailey williams.

If we got English for free and trade BW that would be a massive win .

Draft another developing ruck and we will have 5 years to develop alongside Barnett and Livingstone with English in his prime .

May as well have a 208cm tall who also racks it up like a mid

The afl came out with stats saying hit outs mean JAck shit in clearance outcomes .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back