List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 57 19.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 46 15.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 6.7%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

Last edited by a moderator:
Rather than give our pic 3 (prob 2) to freo for 2 of their firsts and leverage knobel would it be better to go after gold coast 2 firsts and Moyle. Considering witts and Ethan read on their list we could guarantee moyle every games and good $$$. Plus he's played afl and looked OK opposed to knobel who is developing at reseves/wafl league level. Yes I'm aware he's just signed at GC but contracts are fluid these days
Moyle just signed a long term contract

Pick 3 for Warner is not overs. Clubs with pick 3 hope to get a player as good as Warner in a few years. Previous pick 3s include Xavier Ellis, Masten, Stephen Hill, Dom Tyson. And yes, it also includes Judd, Martin and Angus Brayshaw. If you can take pick 3 and turn it into a gun without the development or speculation, you do it.
Exactly.

Insert Family Guy meme

“Chad Warner is Chad Warner.”

“But Pick 3 could be anything! Even a Chad Warner!”

If he was 26 I would understand the hesitancy given where we are at. But he’s a great age for us (23). We can’t have all 18 year olds running around with a few 30+

We are undermanned in the midfield.

Both with quality and experience

With yeo out Kelly was our number 1 mid today and he struggles unless he is the 2nd or 3rd mid .

We can't have young players expected to carry the load .

Sure 1 or 2 but we had Reid, ginbey , chesser , ledwards , maric + Kelly and petch today .

No wonder we get smashed in the middle .
Jack macrae is on the outer with the dogs and their stacked midfield. He has 3 years left on his contract.

Perfect salary dump to take and player who can provide leadership and play as an inside mid to protect the kids .

Sure he won't be around when we next contend but would add so much value.

May be able to sort a good trade around English free agency, macrae salary dump .
We pay enough for English band 1 and dogs give us something of worth in a trade for macrae.

Eg Petrecelle for macrae (salary dump)+ garcia + f2

Wow, so 1 of the best mids in the comp isn't worth pick 3ish but barrass who by his own admission has a stuffed back and also won't be anywhere near our team by the time we're contending again is worth more than a late first rounder..wow

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app
We are trying to rebuiild here.

Barrass should still have 4 years of solid footy left, and Warner is no guarantee to play like he is at the Swans now if he was in our team.

KPDs have a premium. Clubs looking to trade in Barrass are looking to win a premiership, theyll have to pay overs to shake him out.

We are rebuilding for another few years whether we get Warner or not. He might increase our floor a bit but but is Warner the type of player(his playstyle) we need as a priority? I dont think it is.

I think hes a bit over-rated tbh, playing in a team thats 3 wins ahead of everybody else, its relatively easy to look good

mock trades to generate as many picks as possible
BW for pick 39
Pick 2 for 8 and 9
Tom Cole for pick 37 and pick 66
Petch f3 for Garcia and pick 45.
Take picks 8, 9, 23, 37, 39, 45, and 59.
2 first rounder 2 2nds 2 3rds 1 4th

Exactly.

Insert Family Guy meme

“Chad Warner is Chad Warner.”

“But Pick 3 could be anything! Even a Chad Warner!”

If he was 26 I would understand the hesitancy given where we are at. But he’s a great age for us (23). We can’t have all 18 year olds running around with a few 30+
We would probably get more out of a solid defensive mid that might cost a 3rd rounder as we get out of Warner tbh.

All our mids are offensive, we have nobody there to just tackle

Along with not having a ruckman thats why our midfield sucks. Our midfield is just unbalanced

Look at the good teams, they all have a solid defensive mid whose main job is to block/tag/tackle.

Warner is another in the same mould as Reid, Hewett, Yeo, etc. The same type of mid you typically get with high picks

So our offseason should look like this
Sign: English (better than bw) and sign Cummings( I have a rumour that board member rowan jones likes him)
Trade: BW for pick 39 from rich
Trade pick 2/3 for suns picks 8 and 9.
Take to the draft picks 8, 9, 23, 39 and 59 ( use this pick to find a Humpries).
Use at least 1 high pick on a back man and the other on a quick small mid. Get Malakai because why not he could replace jj.
Likes him as a player, or likes him as in Glass/Hurn 'likes him'?

Have just noticed a few interesting points re our list:
  • We have 8 rookie listed players, which is the AFL maximum
  • We have 45 listed players, the AFL maximum is 44, I assume this is due to Hutchinson being acquired through the MSD
Expiring contracts listed below (13):

NoNameListContracted to
3​
Gaff, AndrewMain
2024​
14​
Duggan, LiamMain
2024​
16​
Edwards, LukeMain
2024​
23​
Witherden, AlexMain
2024​
31​
Jones, JamaineMain
2024​
35​
Rotham, JoshMain
2024​
42​
Edwards, HarryMain
2024​
45​
Burgiel, CobyMain
2024​
26​
Trew, ZaneRookie (A)
2024​
36​
Rawlinson, LochRookie (A)
2024​
38​
Baker, JordynRookie (A)
2024​
39​
Livingstone, CoenRookie (B)
2024​
49​
Culley, JaiRookie (A)
2024​

Assuming Duggan, HEDwards, and Livingstone stay on, that makes 10 departures, but leaves only 9 list spots available. 6 on the main list and 3 rookie spots.

I've said on here for years get some proper rugby kiwi dudes to teach these guys to tackle and how to handle a tackle.

Nah we have snap shots at goal from the car park and put it on twitter

Sent from my SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So how many can we cut at the end of the year.
Honestly there seems to be a pile of shit bigger than mount Kosciusko in our side.

These are who deserve to be delisted imo.

Jones
Cripps
Sheed
Gaff
Darling
Witherden
Cole

These are who should also be delisted

Burgiel (injured too much)
Luke Edwards
Petrucelli (never rewards the team with consistent performance)
Trew (I mean just doesn't seem up to it)

It's 30 percent of our team, just don't know if we can cut that many but honestly we wouldnt notice them gone if they were.

Thoughts?

Have just noticed a few interesting points re our list:
  • We have 8 rookie listed players, which is the AFL maximum
  • We have 45 listed players, the AFL maximum is 44, I assume this is due to Hutchinson being acquired through the MSD
Expiring contracts listed below (13):

NoNameListContracted to
3​
Gaff, AndrewMain
2024​
14​
Duggan, LiamMain
2024​
16​
Edwards, LukeMain
2024​
23​
Witherden, AlexMain
2024​
31​
Jones, JamaineMain
2024​
35​
Rotham, JoshMain
2024​
42​
Edwards, HarryMain
2024​
45​
Burgiel, CobyMain
2024​
26​
Trew, ZaneRookie (A)
2024​
36​
Rawlinson, LochRookie (A)
2024​
38​
Baker, JordynRookie (A)
2024​
39​
Livingstone, CoenRookie (B)
2024​
49​
Culley, JaiRookie (A)
2024​

Assuming Duggan, HEDwards, and Livingstone stay on, that makes 10 departures, but leaves only 9 list spots available. 6 on the main list and 3 rookie spots.
We have 45 because Long is on the LTI list. We will have to cut it back to 44 or less by delisting/trading at least one more player than we acquire via draft/trade/FA etc at the end of the season.

On that list the ones you mentioned plus Burgiel are likely to survive and maybe Culley. The rest will likely go if we are serious about list turnover and there’s never been a better draft to do it.

With the proposed rules Maric, Culley and Hutchinson can remain as Cat A Rookies, Dewar and Livingstone will almost certainly stay Cat B.

That would give us 5 main list spots and 3 Cat A Rookie spots.

Last edited:
mock trades to generate as many picks as possible
BW for pick 39
Pick 2 for 8 and 9
Tom Cole for pick 37 and pick 66
Petch f3 for Garcia and pick 45.
Take picks 8, 9, 23, 37, 39, 45, and 59.
2 first rounder 2 2nds 2 3rds 1 4th

Cute for you to think we'll trade anyone out. Besides Rioli who asked for a trade I don't think we've traded anyone out in like 10+ years

So how many can we cut at the end of the year.
Honestly there seems to be a pile of shit bigger than mount Kosciusko in our side.

These are who deserve to be delisted imo.

Jones
Cripps
Sheed
Gaff
Darling
Witherden
Cole

These are who should also be delisted

Burgiel (injured too much)
Luke Edwards
Petrucelli (never rewards the team with consistent performance)
Trew (I mean just doesn't seem up to it)

It's 30 percent of our team, just don't know if we can cut that many but honestly we wouldnt notice them gone if they were.

Thoughts?
Don’t shoot the messenger but all of Cole, Sheed, Cripps, Petrucelle and Darling are here next year unless we trade them or they agree to a payout.

Don’t shoot the messenger but all of Cole, Sheed, Cripps, Petrucelle and Darling are here next year unless we trade them or they agree to a payout.
The best way for them to help the club is to be in the Beagles. Seriously, we need mature players to mentor our fringe players.

Maybe we’ve paid a price for ignoring the Beagles this year and that is we might have slowed the improvement of those fringe players.

It could’ve been the club desperately wanting an improvement after two disastrous years and/or a coach desperately wanting to keep his job. Whatever, there’s no point having 60+ game mediocre players taking Eagles’ spots - it is a lose for the Eagles and a lose for the Beagles.

Getting his hands on it has never been a weak point.
Holy ****.

If he can get 31 possesion against men he will get 31 possesion against afl players.

Jesus christ. Thats better then Sid Sanfl count. He has leaped frogged Josh Smillie. He turning to a viable pick for us.

My rankings-
1. Sid draper
2. FOS
3. Jagga
4. Lalor

If Jagga continues this form then questions marks are going to be placed on FOS. FOS was dubbbed as an accumulator with elite ball use. But if FOS doesn't show his accumation abilities some more then he's not work it for just only his elite ball use.

I'm seriously praising the Lord that Jagga has shown he can do it against men

Holy ****.

If he can get 31 possesion against men he will get 31 possesion against afl players.

Jesus christ. Thats better then Sid Sanfl count. He has leaped frogged Josh Smillie. He turning to a viable pick for us.

My rankings-
1. Sid draper
2. FOS
3. Jagga
4. Lalor

If Jagga continues this form then questions marks are going to be placed on FOS. FOS was dubbbed as an accumulator with elite ball use. But if FOS doesn't show his accumation abilities some more then he's not work it for just only his elite ball use.

I'm seriously praising the Lord that Jagga has shown he can do it against men
Smith’s build is too light.

He still managed to get 31 possesion in VFL against men. That disproves that and says something. He will be able to translate that over to AFL.
Not necessarily.

Jai Culley dominates in the WAFL and can’t find the ball at the next level.

Chris Masten was a prolific light inside mid at lower levels and had to adapt his game to outside to get a gig in the AFL.

Jagga is very thin, even thinner than Hough was.

Must be better options at our very high pick. We can’t afford to stuff it up.

Last edited:
Not necessarily.

Jai Culley dominates in the WAFL and can’t find the ball at the next level.

Chris Masten was a prolific light inside mid at lower levels and had to adapt his game to an outside to get a gig in the AFL.

Jaggy is very thin, even thinner than Hough was.
Culley can't get it because he keeps being played out of position in the seniors.

Give him a proper run on ball and see what he's capable of. If he's not up to it, then fine, but at least give him a proper run. We have nothing to lose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back