List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 57 19.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 46 15.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 6.7%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

Last edited by a moderator:
Moraes was the one that got squeezed out of that Vic Metro midfield for large chunks of the champs and has had impact on his rankings it would seem.

I’ve got Rozee vibes on him too in the past but I’ve simply put it down to the jet black hair and skinny frame until you mentioned that.

Yeah, his inside game hasn’t really come on, but him on the wing / outside is exciting, he doesn’t have Gulden’s kicking but he has similar running ability and is very good in front of goal. He’s the perfect modern ultra attacking outside midfielder.

Because we have a limited amount of spots on the list? We cant just waste list spots on below average players from wooden spoon teams. If we are choosing between adding Graham who adds very minimal over keeping a young guy I choose the young guy.
Theres like 10 guys on the list who could reasonably be moved on at the end of the year. Say we move on 7 from the main list, get Graham, Baker and English plus 4 picks. We currently have

We can delist/payout an extra player if we need to.

We are ok for list spots lol

Youre just reaching for any possible reason why Graham who is free and an AFL standard player shouldnt be added to the list

Well Graham did in in their premiership years - alongside Martin, Cotchin et al. And in fact other teams have had similar players to Graham fill those roles - Josh Caddy was 1 I remember but I'm sure there are others who rotate through and have done a similar unheralded job.
I do however accept for Graham that was 5 or 6 years ago and things change over time.

I know the jury is out on Hewitt and maybe even Reid to a certain degree, but I think Yeo and Kelly can he classified as A grade mids so WC are nearly there in your 4 x A or B+ players.

I also think you're viewing this situation as Graham taking the spot of someone who deserves to play therefore denying WC the opportunity to select the number of quality mids you indicate they should have. I don't see it like this, I see it as adding to the options they have. Certainly I and many others would see him as a better midfield option than say Culley, Petrecelle and Duggan who have run through there this year.

And with a high pick this year and probably next year as well and the fact WC have indicated they are looking for mids, means they will likely focus on those and get the pick of the crop. If like Reid, they come ready to play round 1 then excellent. If like most they play a few games and are in and out of team till they get bigger and stronger after a several preseasons, then Graham (& Baker) can fill those gaps in the meantime.
:100:

Also in a couple years time when Yeo and Kelly arent up to being full time mids Graham is still around to probably be the only mid over 24 on the list lmao

We are limited with how many spots we have on our list. How on earth is it a weird take to fill holes on the list first.

I don’t think we need to trade for inside mids. I want us to draft an elite inside mid with our first pick and continue to put games into hall / Chesser / Hewitt. Next year we have Reid, Kelly, Yeo as our starting three guns. Duggan at this stage in his career is perfectly suited to that defensive mid role if required. And we are also going to be carrying sheed next year.

That’s 9 players we have to play with with a blend of attributes. Graham offers absolutely nothing in addition to the nine above other than taking development minutes off our youth.

We clearly have depth in that position. We have 40ish players on the list of which 9 are best suited to inside mid role.

Oh my god. Stop trying to make Duggan as defensive mid happen.

He has his best year in 2020 down back. He goes into midfield in 2021 to cover injuries and majorly regresses, then goes down back and shows good form.

Duggan isn’t a mid. He’s a back man. Every time he plays as a mid his game actually regresses. Even on the weekend I’d say he had one very good quarter in an otherwise average game there.

There’s no way we should be putting a first year player or Hewett as a defensive sweeper in centre bounce.

2025 mids should be Yeo, Kelly, Reid, Hewett, Graham + A couple of guys rotating through there like Ginbey, Hall, Draper/Smith (or whoever we draft).

Most teams have 7 or so guys rotating through the midfield, and no club has every player available every week.

Stop trying to make out that Graham would throw some huge spanner in the works.

He has his best year in 2020 down back. He goes into midfield in 2021 to cover injuries and majorly regresses, then goes down back and shows good form.

Duggan isn’t a mid. He’s a back man. Every time he plays as a mid his game actually regresses. Even on the weekend I’d say he had one very good quarter in an otherwise average game there.

There’s no way we should be putting a first year player or Hewett as a defensive sweeper in centre bounce.

2025 mids should be Yeo, Kelly, Reid, Hewett, Graham + A couple of guys rotating through there like Ginbey, Hall, Draper/Smith (or whoever we draft).

Most teams have 7 or so guys rotating through the midfield, and no club has every player available every week.

I thought he showed a lot. Fumbles and mistakes are fine by me, and can be worked on, at least they're getting the ball to make the mistakes

I would prefer travaglia and Hotton.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app
TT a no brainer. Not a criticism, I was big on him at the start of the year but why Hotton? Him and MReid are the only two I’ve heard mentioned as a flight risk, he’s coming off an ACL and will have a limited year as well as the inherent risk, disposal probably not as tidy as we’d like (which is currently killing us) and more of a mid/forward hybrid when we’re screaming out for midfielders and run and carry off a HBF.

I thought he showed a lot. Fumbles and mistakes are fine by me, and can be worked on, at least they're getting the ball to make the mistakes

You can work on a lot of things with players, being clean probably isn’t one of them. It’s more innate and down to reflexes, coordination and reading the play, and it’s a must for midfielders.

Duggan just isn’t a mid. He’s not.

I am so uncomfortable in trading for Curtin, 2 & 23 for 4 & Curtin.

I have bad Brender vibes. Bad bust vibes.

KP height mids rarely make it, Cripps exepted. Not a KPD.

Here's a novel idea: draft a pure mid.

If he is a bust or average, we've thrown 23 down the drain and drafted a mid, 2 x spot downgrade.

200.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If he is a bust or average, we've thrown 23 down the drain and drafted a mid, 2 x spot downgrade.

200.gif

There’s no way we should trade for Curtin.

No one even knows what he is yet (still?).

If we trade for him we need to be clear on what role he would be filling.

200.gif
With there being a bit of a blanket over the top handful of mids in the draft, we would essentially be getting him for pick 23.
Any of Smillie, FOS, Draper or Smith would be good for us

We could do far worse

Cripps is the argument that fumbles can’t be worked on

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Cripps has been the most under rated player for us by nuffies. Fumbles out of form but, again, he's still putting himself in positions to find the ball. Bit of form and confidence and bam.

I want Draper.

If we get Curtin some other way then so be it.

But JTD

Sent from my SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Agree wholeheartedly. And any trade for pick 3 wouldn’t happen until draft night anyway, as Adelaide wouldn’t be trading up unless Draper was still on the board at 3. I think stuff ‘em, just take Draper and we will be laughing all the way to the bank.

I’m not yet sold on Graham, partly because I’ve avoided watching a lot of Richmond so don’t have as much knowledge of his game as I should.

That said, given the way the game is going his lack of pace is a concern which means he needs to be pretty good in other areas to compensate

Whilst they both play a different role to Graham, Gaff and Sheed are being phased out for that reason. Luke Edwards and Culley may well find themselves out of the squad at years end for the same reason

Conversely, a large part of why we’ve persevered with Petruccelle (and Jones) is they do have the type of speed we’ve lacked

So I’ve been trying to rationalise our reported interest in him

He’ll be 26 at the end of this year which puts him in a 25-28 age group we only have 10 players in. And 3 of those (Rotham, Jones and Witherden) are delist candidates at the end of this year. Plus maybe 3 of our 9 players 29-32 might not be at the club next year - Gaff, Barrass and possibly Sheed. Our other possible acquisitions, Baker and English will be 26 and 27 respectively

So Graham with 127 games will bring some leadership which is considered one of his strong points

Whether we have a list spot for him is one consideration but more importantly is how do we fill list spots if we do cut deep with the draft capital we have. The attraction with Graham as a UFA is we can bring him in without using a scarce resource like draft picks in a trade

Based on what we paid Hunt and Flynn, I’d be assuming we are likely to offer him a 3 year deal on moderate money which would generate band 4 or 5 compensation

So compared to the likes of Robertson, Carroll etc who are younger but perhaps not better we can bring him in without giving up future draft picks

The alternative is we keep someone like Trew or Culley rather than delist either to open up the list spot needed to bring Graham in

I think we need to wait and see what other moves the club make before seeing if it’s a good idea or not. I must say I’m leaning to be sceptical though

Theres like 10 guys on the list who could reasonably be moved on at the end of the year. Say we move on 7 from the main list, get Graham, Baker and English plus 4 picks. We currently have

We can delist/payout an extra player if we need to.

We are ok for list spots lol

Youre just reaching for any possible reason why Graham who is free and an AFL standard player shouldnt be added to the list
Who are these 10 that could be moved on? Would love to hear that. Currently we only have 12 out of contract.

I would be fine with picking up graham if we pay out sheed. I just highly doubt we will do that.

AFL standard is generous. There’s a reason why a bottom of the ladder team don’t care if he goes. We have a better players that can play that role.

We need to be drafting more than four players. We are at the start of a rebuild ffs.

TT a no brainer. Not a criticism, I was big on him at the start of the year but why Hotton? Him and MReid are the only two I’ve heard mentioned as a flight risk, he’s coming off an ACL and will have a limited year as well as the inherent risk, disposal probably not as tidy as we’d like (which is currently killing us) and more of a mid/forward hybrid when we’re screaming out for midfielders and run and carry off a HBF.
Yep TT, Lindsay, Lalor, moraes I’d like with at the Barrass pick. They can’t all be gone by then.

He was a defender in a team where he could focus on the lock down role. He was playing with Jetta and hurn who had the offensive duties. Now he is expected to be the rebounder which he can’t do because he can’t kick.

The game has changed and the requirement for elite skills out of the backline has only increased.

If you don’t rate Duggan as a defensive mid that’s fine. I don’t think he is that good. But he is better than graham. Even if you want to play Duggan back we can just play yeo as the sweeper.

Players that rotate into the middle have to be able to play another position. Again graham can’t do this.

It’s not a spanner in the works it’s just another small poor decision that adds up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back