List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 57 19.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 46 15.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 6.7%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

Last edited by a moderator:
He's the temu Dyson Sharp. Less certain Lalor makes it as opposed to certainty Dyson makes it and isn't quite the accumulator Dyson is.

Ideally we would like Dyson Sharp to compliment Harley but I doubt we get pick 1 next year.

The play is Harley will draw contest since there is no scenario where teams dont draw to him. He will hand it to Dyson Sharp/Lalor then since they can't be tackled in their own respect (since all eyes are on Harley) they run amuck.

If we wanted to really live life on the edge we could do a pick 3 for f1 with Richmond as part of the Baker deal. Pick 3 and 23 for Baker and f1. Would be absolutely crazy risky but probably 60-65% chance it gets us pick one next year.

If we wanted to really live life on the edge we could do a pick 3 for f1 with Richmond as part of the Baker deal. Pick 3 and 23 for Baker and f1. Would be absolutely crazy risky but probably 60-65% chance it gets us pick one next year.

bowfinger-eddie-murphy.gif

You’d think with their midfield issues, Essendon and Saints would be frothing someone like Lalor. Naturally you think Draper would be a great fit for Adelaide as well (same reasons we kept getting linked to Curtain I guess).

Personally I would just take FOS or Draper with pick 3 but I think there might be a bit more value and interest in splitting than everyone is saying.

Essendon and Saints will be frothing over Smillie, Reid and Langford.

Hardeman was pick 23 but this is a deeper draft, so basically a downgrade on pick 23 and you expect Jack to move to Melbourne to play out his final years at one of the worst clubs in history? The only thing that gets him moving is the chance to play in another premiership otherwise what is the point?
North may offer him more than the 1 year he has left at west coast, and he wont be best 22 for us.
Hed be a walk up starter at North.

Assuming we want a player of some description, I went through the lists of the Pies, Dees, and North as the 3 clubs in need of a KPF the most.
At the Dees:
Lachie Hunter as a winger? Straight swap for Darling
Jed Adams young KPD? Darling + F3 or something, but cant see Dees doing it as they dont have many young KPDs

Pies:
Ed Allan would be nice but doubt hes gettable
**** all else worth chasing tbh

North:
Only one I can see that id want and is potentially gettable is Hardeman

Maybe make it a F2 instead of 23.
Darling+F2 for Hardeman and F4

Frees up pick 23 to chase other list needs than a half back, a ruck or KPD potentially

That might be the case but we sometimes play four talls and in that case Archers chances of playing becomes more than likely. We just need Flynn staying fit so Billiams can go miss time his leaps against undersized WAFL ruckmen
We play 4 talls because we have so many of them ready for AFL. We have a big lack of mids and half forward types, especially with Long out and Brockman with his issues. If we didnt play Darling it wouldve been Culley(taller than Darling) or LEdwards or something.

I dont think it was an intentional strategy

He would be a free agent next year.

They wont get band 1 for Baker, hes band 2 or 3 realistically, meaning pick 20-odd.
Is the couple of spots higher in the draft over our 23/F2 worth keeping a disgruntled player? I wouldnt think so
I assumed he would be FA next year but wasn’t sure. In that case the ideal outcome for us would be that he extends for one year and we get him for free at the end of 2025 rather than losing a late first/early second this year. Seems like he’s set to go this year though which will unfortunately cost us (or Freo)

I assumed he would be FA next year but wasn’t sure. In that case the ideal outcome for us would be that he extends for one year and we get him for free at the end of 2025 rather than losing a late first/early second this year. Seems like he’s set to go this year though which will unfortunately cost us (or Freo)
Tigers know he is FA next year, theyll let him go for pick 23 or pick 30(for Barrass) if Freo dont give up one of their first rounders for him.
Hes definitely not a band 1 compo player

In the case the Tigers dont play ball, he could just only agree to a 1 year deal on 2mil+ to stay another year, or put a stupid price on his head in the draft so he lasts to us

I reckon if we intended on shopping Darling around or delisting then we'd have got him to 300 this season.
Could be Darling looking around if he knows hes only got 1 year left at west coast with almost no chance of an extension.

We would get **** all for him, may as well keep him around as an experienced player in the WAFL. But if he wants to go I wouldnt stop him either.

We don't need him and it gains us a list spot which might be needed, also I guess some more cash to play with but that would almost be a negative. I don't see him going and for what its worth Schoey was adamant Barrass is going but on Darling just said something could happen there but he was far from saying it is going to happen. If I was Darling I would have left last year or the year before but there's not much point to it now. Stranded on 298 he should go on. If it's true he wants to play until he's 35 then yeah, on ya bike Jack its now or never.
We're not short of cash, we won't be short of list spots, we can manufacture draft picks in other ways; deep draft notwithstanding, I'm not sure what value another pick in the 40s or 50s adds over the culture of looking after club legends and having depth in the Beagles to mentor the likes of AReid. I would only trade him if he was adamant he wanted to play every game, as that shouldn't be our goal.

And push our rebuild back a further 12 months? No thanks

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Id want more than that. Like pick 10 more than that

I dont think we are in the position to be doing such trades though, we are probably in the realm of bringing our F1 into this year more than delaying 12 months

We have a shit load of cap space

If Collingwood interested, well pay all his salary for next season plus 59 for pick 32

Barrass and F2 for 12 and F1

Trade our F1 to Richmond for 9 and 10 (Bolton)

Hopefully we get a PP to be used on Baker

Use 23 on Peatling or Shedrick

Lose Darling, Barrass, F1, 23 and PP

Gain: 9,10, 32, Peatling and Baker

Go to draft with 3, 9, 10, 32

20230529_172525.png

I see why you're accused of being an alt account now

Really hope we can secure Hawks F1 on top of their first this year

It makes us trading our F1 a legitimate option, would love to get another top 7 pick to grab Lalor or Langford.

What exactly is it about that suggestion that offends you? Poster said I'd love pick one next year but don't see how we get it. I don't know anything about Dyson Sharpe other than I'll be creating another alt account next year in order to stan for him coming to West Coast. But assuming he's basically Harley Reid, generational player and a lock at #1 even from more than a year out. You wouldn't move from 3 to 1 in order to get him?

Seems to me Richmond are an absolute lock to finish last next year, they finished last this year and are actively trying to trade out 2 of their best players for first round picks and 2 of their best 22 to us, having just retired maybe their greatest ever player. How is it even conceivable they rise even to 17th next year. On the flip side, having pick one this year and having committed to a radically fast tracked rebuild, pick 3 would be hugely tempting for them. As would be getting our pick 23 which I personally feel is overs for Baker. If we made that trade I'd be stoked, assuming next years pick 1 is fairly obviously better than this years picks 1-5 [seems you could throw a blanket over any of them this year].

If we wanted to get really creative Richmond as asking way too much for Shai Bolten and Fremantle have 2 first rounders.

If we were to lose pick 23 and swap out 3 for Richmonds future 1st, send something Freo's way that gets us their second first rounder, then we get 12 and a second rounder for Barrass. Go to draft with 12, 13, end of first round priority pick, 2 picks in the 20's. New year we then have pick 1 and our own first, which is pick 5-10 and hope to draft Sharp plus Baby Curtin. Way better business in my view than trying to guess which of the half dozen pick 1 candidates this year is going to slide to us at 3.

Something like this as a starting point, with other pick swaps making up any differences here and there.

Richmond in: pick 3, pick 7, pick 23, Rotham
Richmond out: f1, Bolton, Baker, Graham

West Coast in: Richmonds f1, Baker, Graham, pick 12
West Coast out: pick 3, pick 23, Rotham, Ryan

Fremantle in: Bolton, Ryan
Fremantle out: picks 7, 12

Side deal:

Hawthorn in: Barrass
West Cost in: pick 13, 29 [or whatever it is]

Our draft hand: 12, 13, PP, 29, Champion

I feel like our main priority this trade/draft period is addressing our bottom 6 by trading in players in their mid 20's. ie the Richmond pair plus whoever we shake loose out of GWS and or Sydney's stacked midfields. There is going to be very little opportunity for our first rounder to do a Harley Reid and play 20 games in our starting midfield in 2025. In 2026, it will be completely different. I'd rather be picking up pick 1 next year and bringing them straight into the 22 than expecting a kid picked 5-10 to do that, and I don't want to see pick 3 from this draft waiting for Yeo or Kelly to break down or needing to push our captain out of the midfield in order to escape Beagles duty. its a deep draft, load up on prospects in the 10-30 range where there is apparently incredible value.

What exactly is it about that suggestion that offends you? Poster said I'd love pick one next year but don't see how we get it. I don't know anything about Dyson Sharpe other than I'll be creating another alt account next year in order to stan for him coming to West Coast. But assuming he's basically Harley Reid, generational player and a lock at #1 even from more than a year out. You wouldn't move from 3 to 1 in order to get him?

Seems to me Richmond are an absolute lock to finish last next year, they finished last this year and are actively trying to trade out 2 of their best players for first round picks and 2 of their best 22 to us, having just retired maybe their greatest ever player. How is it even conceivable they rise even to 17th next year. On the flip side, having pick one this year and having committed to a radically fast tracked rebuild, pick 3 would be hugely tempting for them. As would be getting our pick 23 which I personally feel is overs for Baker. If we made that trade I'd be stoked, assuming next years pick 1 is fairly obviously better than this years picks 1-5 [seems you could throw a blanket over any of them this year].

If we wanted to get really creative Richmond as asking way too much for Shai Bolten and Fremantle have 2 first rounders.

If we were to lose pick 23 and swap out 3 for Richmonds future 1st, send something Freo's way that gets us their second first rounder, then we get 12 and a second rounder for Barrass. Go to draft with 12, 13, end of first round priority pick, 2 picks in the 20's. New year we then have pick 1 and our own first, which is pick 5-10 and hope to draft Sharp plus Baby Curtin. Way better business in my view than trying to guess which of the half dozen pick 1 candidates this year is going to slide to us at 3.

Something like this as a starting point, with other pick swaps making up any differences here and there.

Richmond in: pick 3, pick 7, pick 23, Rotham
Richmond out: f1, Bolton, Baker, Graham

West Coast in: Richmonds f1, Baker, Graham, pick 12
West Coast out: pick 3, pick 23, Rotham, Ryan

Fremantle in: Bolton, Ryan
Fremantle out: picks 7, 12

Side deal:

Hawthorn in: Barrass
West Cost in: pick 13, 29 [or whatever it is]

Our draft hand: 12, 13, PP, 29, Champion

I feel like our main priority this trade/draft period is addressing our bottom 6 by trading in players in their mid 20's. ie the Richmond pair plus whoever we shake loose out of GWS and or Sydney's stacked midfields. There is going to be very little opportunity for our first rounder to do a Harley Reid and play 20 games in our starting midfield in 2025. In 2026, it will be completely different. I'd rather be picking up pick 1 next year and bringing them straight into the 22 than expecting a kid picked 5-10 to do that, and I don't want to see pick 3 from this draft waiting for Yeo or Kelly to break down or needing to push our captain out of the midfield in order to escape Beagles duty. its a deep draft, load up on prospects in the 10-30 range where there is apparently incredible value.

images (1).jpeg

Delist/Retire (9)
Jones, Gaff, Witherden, Rotham, Trew, LEdwards, Baker, Rawlinson, Culley

Trade (4 OUT, 2 IN)
HAW: Barrass for 12 and 30
MELB: BWilliams, Petruccelle, 58 for 38 & 49
FREO: Ryan for 27 and Knobel
FA: Cumming

Draft (9)
3-FOS/Lalor
12-Travaglia/Lindsay
23-Hynes/Oliver
27-O’Farrell/Mraz*
30-O’Farrell/Mraz*/Gerreyn
38-Champion match
49-Dennis/Johnson/Barrat
Rookie-Artemis
Rookie-Boxshall

1 list spot for DFA/SSP/MSD
Have heard strong indication today that tigers will take FOS at 1.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

What the **** would we want pick 1 next year for?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back