List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 57 19.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 46 15.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 6.7%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

Last edited by a moderator:
From the sounds of it he wants to stay in melbourne or at least on the east coast
How can we trust its from trac camp and not melb football club hit pieces camp?

He nearly died anywhere away from the place that nearly killed him and caused him and wife trauma is logical.

Also does he want to stay in melb fish bowl after that trauma. It's a circus and will stay a circus if he stay in melb or goes to vic club

Exactly this. I mean, there's a few I'd like from Hawthorn but they aren't coming back the other way for Barrass unless we do something silly like throw in our pick 3 and/or 23 as well.
We don’t need to throw anything in.

Contracted player attempting to break his contract and leave.

It’s the suitors who need to pay.

Pick 12 for Barrass
Baker for Pick 12
Ken Oath to Eagles
Lathlain burnt to a crisp
Good Bye Reaction GIF

How can we trust its from trac camp and not melb football club hit pieces camp?

He nearly died anywhere away from the place that nearly killed him and caused him and wife trauma is logical.

Also does he want to stay in melb fish bowl after that trauma. It's a circus and will stay a circus if he stay in melb or goes to vic club
I think theyre reporting he wants to go to a big vic club for his brand or whatever, but any club on the east coast would probably do the job for him. Main priority is to get out of Melbourne Demons

Or Hawks slide ala Freo after 22 and along with injuries and finish 10th

Eagles new coach sees us win 8 games and finish 14th

12 and 9 for Barrass and 23
That’s getting closer to fair value.

If they don’t think he’s any good they’re not paying $1 mill per year for four years.

I think theyre reporting he wants to go to a big vic club for his brand or whatever, but any club on the east coast would probably do the job for him. Main priority is to get out of Melbourne Demons
Good point

My only question is will it get to the point where the circus is too much and he needs to escape melb fishbowl. Heading to rival melb club will just cause the circus to follow

• Barrass and F2 to Hawthorn for 12ish and their F1.
• 23 for Baker.
• Sign Graham to enough of a deal to get Richmond a second round compo, which in reality is a little bonus for the Baker deal. You wanted a mid first, here’s two early seconds instead.

Leaves us with no second rounders this or next year, but in our hand is 3, 12ish, our F1, Hawks F1, Baker, Graham.

ezpz.
Hawks F1 for our F2 is not a good deal.

The probability is that they are very close together so we are gaining little.

Good point

My only question is will it get to the point where the circus is too much and he needs to escape melb fishbowl. Heading to rival melb club will just cause a circus.
If it ended up a choice of the Dees or WA, i reckon he would pick WA, but id imagine WA and SA are right at the bottom of his list

Just spitballing here. Assume worst case scenario re Barrass and Baker. Barrass for 12 + 30, Baker for 12, probably looks more like 12 + 59 for Baker + 39.

Leaves us with 3, 23, 30, 39.

I don't see that happening. Our hand will be better than this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Baker for 12 is stupider than “selling the farm” for TK. At least with TK we were in our window trying to pinch another flag. I also wonder how motivated a guy like Baker would be also. Two flags under his belt and at 27 won’t likely be there as we look to contend. Yes he brings leadership and experience but that doesn’t worth pick 12

Where's the incentive for Hawthorn to accept our F3 for their F1? Let's say they slide out of finals and we finish 13th. That would be pick 42 for 13. I would love for that to happen but it's not happening. We would have a significant portion of the upside in any pick swap.
They aren’t sliding out of finals and we aren’t finishing 13th.

Surely the calculation has to be done on probability and not unrealistic hypotheticals.

Hawks F1 for our F2 is not a good deal.

The probability is that they are very close together so we are gaining little.
Even if that’s the case (I strongly, strongly don’t think it is - Hawks won’t make the 8 next year, I’m very confident of a dip once the fixture gets tougher and their role players stop all having career years at once) it’s at minimum a guaranteed pick upgrade with tremendous upside.

It also gets us up a round, which is handy when end of first round compo, start of second round priority picks to North etc continue to be handed out.

Guaranteed pick upgrade (even 19 up to 18) with the upside of much much more. Far better than any steak knives or F2 situation.

As West Coast fans we want a kitchen sink for a contracted, proven All Australian level KPD that is still on the right side of 30, going to a club crying out for a missing piece to a premiership push.

However - what do you think Hawthorn would be willing to part with? A quick perusal of their board reveals something a lot closer to a straight 12-ish pick and maybe an F1/F2 swap if needed or throwing in DGB if he is amenable. They balk (rightly) at giving us 12 and F1 straight out.

Just trying to put a different (re: unpopular) perspective around here...

Hawthorn and WC will probably do a deal that satisfies no-one which means it was a good deal.
They are willing to pay the guy $1mill pa and want him for pick 12?

Offering DGB is absurd. He is not even a packet of chips, something more like a dog does behind a tree.

Just spitballing here. Assume worst case scenario re Barrass and Baker. Barrass for 12 + 30, Baker for 12, probably looks more like 12 + 59 for Baker + 39.

Leaves us with 3, 23, 30, 39.

I don't see that happening. Our hand will be better than this.
Agree that’s how the Barrass trade lands, don’t need to repeat my thoughts on Baker but the trades I hope we’d pursue are:

ADEL: 3 for 4 and 25
HAW: Barrass for 12 and 30
FREO: Ryan and part salary for 27 and Knobel
GCS: 23 + 27 + no Lombard bid for pick 13
MELB: BWilliams, Darling, Petch for 38 and 49
PORT: Barnett for Soldo

Hitting those would land us 4,12,13,25,30,38,49,58 as well as Knobel, Soldo and Soldo’s missus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back