List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 57 19.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 46 15.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 6.7%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

Last edited by a moderator:
Chesser had more effective touches against the Saints than Trew did. Yes, he needs to get more of the ball, but at least we know he's good with the ball in hand. It's up to the club to find out where he's best suited to get more of the ball.
He was far from our worst on the weekend was a little surprised he got subbed. Had 9 disposals from 60 mins of game time. We had 10 players that had 11 possessions or under that played 100+ mins of footy.

He has been disappointing but it’s been a tough role out on that dead wing under Simmos game plan. He clearly hasn’t been ready for AFL level and has needed to play more WAFL footy but we all know how bad our squad is. He’s not the only one getting gifted a game currently.

Chess looks good running through the middle of the ground with chains/link up. Could see him settling in a HBF/inside mid role. He’s been sent to the wing as a result of his athletic profile and his lowish footy IQ has been ignored. Him and Rueben could rotate through this role for the rest of the season, never going to be a better time to do it.

Put him where the ball is, not where it isn’t and we’ll find out if we have a player or not.

Chesser hasn't progressed at all and had a lot of chances. Averaging 10 touches across 19 games.

Trew got 21 touches, 4 marks and 8 tackles, 5 clearances against Brisbane and played well. More than what Chesser has ever done in a game.
Meanwhile … JJ (66 games), Witho (118), Rotham (71), and Petro (85) have a total of 340 games.

Chesser (31) and Trew (9) a total of 40.

I know who I’d be putting more games into.

Last edited:

I'm not sure how I feel about this, but probably rough realistic look if we get involved in a trade back? Depends on Baker and Rioli obviously, and possibly Bolton. Richmond and GC have a load of later picks so they are probably shuffled about too.

RICH IN: 9,10, 15
RICH OUT: Baker, Rioli

GC IN: Rioli
GC OUT: 9,10

FREO IN: 2, 23
FREO OUT: 7, 11, 15

WC IN: 7, 11, Baker
WC OUT: 2, 23
9 and 10 for rioli!!! Never gonna happen.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

Chess looks good running through the middle of the ground with chains/link up. Could see him settling in a HBF/inside mid role. He’s been sent to the wing as a result of his athletic profile and his lowish footy IQ has been ignored. Him and Rueben could rotate through this role for the rest of the season, never going to be a better time to do it.

Put him where the ball is, not where it isn’t and we’ll find out if we have a player or not.
I reckon send him back to the magoos to play mid. Let’s build his confidence up over the next couple of weeks.

I Understand playing on the weekend due to them having a bye. Need any sort of games into the young ones at this stage.

Can match at any time and WCE and Freo get the entire state between them, no zones, so if you can get them into your academy early enough, you can develop them and bring them straight into the AFL side.

This is for all clubs but it especially favours WA teams due to the very large zone and no real competition.

How is the NGA funded?

I dont know the particulars but this seems like the only logical leg up we can have, with real financial power. Gold Coast has Rhys Shaw developing their NGA and from the last three years now starting to make a production line of top 10 talent.

Can we not the same with Giansiracusa/Scoots and just fund it out of our capital? Even if we have to pay a premium for these talent from 2025, this would still benefit us.

How is the NGA funded?

I dont know the particulars but this seems like the only logical leg up we can have, with real financial power. Gold Coast has Rhys Shaw developing their NGA and from the last three years now starting to make a production line of top 10 talent.

Can we not the same with Giansiracusa/Scoots and just fund it out of our capital? Even if we have to pay a premium for these talent from 2025, this would still benefit us.
The clubs fund them, hence there being no incentive in the past to actually put much effort into them.

It's also partially lead to the decline high-end talent coming out of WA, as there's no incentive for WCE & Freo to invest in them.

This will change with the unrestricted access, I imagine.

THe AFL is going to change the NGA system as there a few Melbourne teams with some very good NGA prospects. Wouldn't have happened if it was any other club with some good NGA player prospects.

How is the NGA funded?

Good question. You’d hope out side of the soft cap for coaches.

No point the AFL saying they know it’s unfair but it needs to come in the increase the pathways but then can’t really put time and money into it.

Let’s hope it’s some new who has over seen it previously and can spot talent. Even though none look like a huge miss atm, It’s a weird flex on the Eagles page

AFL​

• Neil Erasmus (Fremantle) (couldn’t match but still stuffed this one up 3 years prior)
  • Arthur Jones (Western Bulldogs)
  • Sebit Kuek (Fremantle)
  • Sydney Stack (Richmond)
  • Coen Livingston (West Coast Eagles)
  • Lance Collard (St Kilda) (same couldn’t match)
  • Robert Hansen Jnr (North Melbourne) (if he coming home? OOC and apparently playing ok footy in the magoos and played afl on the weekend)
  • Lawson Humphries (Geelong) (ouch)

Will be interesting to see if they try and get Walley, Banfield and Koby Evans to play WAFL for us next year and drop down to u18s during the carnival like the Crows did for Welsh this year. Didn’t seem to work short term (besides maybe dropping his draft value) but you’d think would have some positives long term

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why is Dev more of a defensive mid over tree? What attributes does he have that actually suggest that?

It’s pretty irrelevant there talent in their second position. Both unlikely talent wise to ever make it in their main.

There is zero to suggest that dev is any more valuable than trew.
Have you seen Trew play? Hes too small to be an inside mid, he's too slow to do anything else.
Dev has a much higher chance of being a regular in a best 22 at AFL level than Trew.

Why are you so big on Trew? The blokes done nothing to earn that

Can match at any time and WCE and Freo get the entire state between them, no zones, so if you can get them into your academy early enough, you can develop them and bring them straight into the AFL side.

This is for all clubs but it especially favours WA teams due to the very large zone and no real competition.
Hope we're busy firing off some emails then!

So we shouldn’t pursue a 23 year old Chad Warner because we have a soon to be 31 year old Yeo who is a pure attacking mid (despite winning AA at HB, HF and spending parts of his career as a defensive/two-way mid).

However if we recruited checks notes Will Setterfield (26) out of the VFL then we could restructure and play Yeo full-time in the backline.

Drug use detected ✅
Opinion rejected ✅
Setterfield is a stop gap, and wouldn't cost multiple picks including a top 5 pick.
Setterfield has shown to be a competent inside mid, while not being a star. His lack of positional flexibility is by far his biggest flaw.

We have Reid and Hewett, with maybe Chesser to be attacking mids in 3 years time, why do we need more? No good club loads their midfield with that type of player. They have a balance

What are you even on about lmao.
Dumb comment

I'm not sure how I feel about this, but probably rough realistic look if we get involved in a trade back? Depends on Baker and Rioli obviously, and possibly Bolton. Richmond and GC have a load of later picks so they are probably shuffled about too.

RICH IN: 9,10, 15
RICH OUT: Baker, Rioli

GC IN: Rioli
GC OUT: 9,10

FREO IN: 2, 23
FREO OUT: 7, 11, 15

WC IN: 7, 11, Baker
WC OUT: 2, 23
Jesus Richmond getting the world for a couple of B graders there.
Gc getting fleeced

Remember this is NGA so indigenous and players outside normal AFL development pathways.

It isn't a free hit at all the kids in the state like the Northern academies.

Missed the English one. That could be big, been hot and cold on this but think we have to do it now. Worst case we add a goal kicking ruck who can at least know where to go to link and move the ball forward.

In- English, Garcia and top 10 pick
Out- TB.

Trade Bailey Williams, there will be buyers.

Have you seen Trew play? Hes too small to be an inside mid, he's too slow to do anything else.
Dev has a much higher chance of being a regular in a best 22 at AFL level than Trew.

Why are you so big on Trew? The blokes done nothing to earn that
Why are we still talking about Robertson?

Haven't we learnt from Zac Langdon, SPS, Jermaine Jones etc?
Even using 3rd or 4th rounders on these players when you know what they bring to the table is pointless IMO.

Why are we still talking about Robertson?

Haven't we learnt from Zac Langdon, SPS, Jermaine Jones etc?
Even using 3rd or 4th rounders on these players when you know what they bring to the table is pointless IMO.
Because someone asked me about him?

I wouldnt pay a 4th rounder for dev. I'd swap 4th rounders maybe, swap of f4s would be better.
We lack inside mids, our depth guys we have are no good.
Worst case Dev can't do it and he costs us next to nothing, best case he's a best 22 player for 8+ years.
Highly unlikely to be worse or even the same level as Trew.

Hes coming over from a strong club, and is a new face that will be motivated to become a regular player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back