List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 57 19.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 46 15.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 6.7%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

Last edited by a moderator:
I know it's basically a meme at this point but maybe Dev is the best option to act as a foil for Harley/Hewett. He can do the scragging, blocking and even tagging work if we feel the need and should come dirt cheap at this point.

Not even as a salary dump? If the bombers want to make the jump to a premiership contender they need to build their midfield around Caldwell and Durham imo, and probably need 1 more A-grader

I dunno what the Bombers salary cap is like but they cant have that much space
I think their cap is actually in pretty good nick, there were a few reports on that when they were dealing for McKay. WCE_phil can probably shed more light. If they want to get him off the books I’m sure there would be plenty of Vic suitors who would pay a decent pick.

I think their cap is actually in pretty good nick, there were a few reports on that when they were dealing for McKay. WCE_phil can probably shed more light. If they want to get him off the books I’m sure there would be plenty of Vic suitors who would pay a decent pick.
Yeah media have always said they have a very health cap space. Mainly Cal (Dons supporter). They don’t need a salary dump.

I think hed be ideal tbh. I did want him last year, but wasnt meant to be
Could work out better, he took less money and the trade would be less now.

Plenty of options in the adding depth to CBA mids.

Now need to add elite kicking hbf with some run and drive.

I don’t agree, probably what we are looking for a year or 2.

Decent at Clearances, tackles, DEff and pressures when he doesn’t have it. Lacks spread but that’s what Kelly and Hewett should be for. Nice moneyball player imo
Yeah but these can be the Richard Taylor types that can clog up your list if you’re not careful. Would rather a 3rd-4th year player who has shown a bit.

It just makes no sense that you rule out trew but rate Robinson highly.

Simmo cooked Trew who looked awesome in our win last year against the Dogs when he came on. Dropped in the last game.

Short a couple of inside mids this year in some games and still couldn’t get in.

Yeah but these can be the Richard Taylor types that can clog up your list if you’re not careful. Would rather a 3rd-4th year player who has shown a bit.
Don’t disagree, you can’t bring them all in. We’ve been linked to a lot of this but we also have a lot of deadwood and would nearly come free. See how it plays out

Setterfield is a fringe player who has been at 3 clubs so far. He would be cheap as chips.

Getting 2 of Setterfield, Garcia and DevRob would be big for our midfield.

Probably the biggest downside to Setterfield is he is only an inside mid, no second position.

If he can be best 22 for 2-3 years, or maybe more once Yeo and Kelly retire, he'd be an amazing get. Would allow us more flexibility with managing Kelly and Yeo too.

Why not chuck Barnett in the ruck the last 5 games and throw him to the wolves.

Barnett ruck
J Will backup

Sent from my SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Because he can’t even keep up with WAFL rucks, I understand rucks take time but Harry Barnett has been absolutely awful so far, he was meant to be good around the ground and we haven’t seen that at all either.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Excuse my ignorance but what's changed.

On SM-S916B using BigFooty.com mobile app
Can match at any time and WCE and Freo get the entire state between them, no zones, so if you can get them into your academy early enough, you can develop them and bring them straight into the AFL side.

This is for all clubs but it especially favours WA teams due to the very large zone and no real competition.

There’s no question we need to churn through a fair few players and we don’t have enough draft picks to replace them. I’m sure the club is aware that we need to generate picks and players. Free agency types like English are a good way (which frees us up to trade BWilliams for a late second/third. We should be replacing the likes of Trew and Edwards with any two of Garcia, Sheldrick or Voldemort, which would improve us immediately. Anyone with any trade value should be considered, we need more second and third round picks. Lot of work to do.

Can match at any time and WCE and Freo get the entire state between them, no zones, so if you can get them into your academy early enough, you can develop them and bring them straight into the AFL side.

This is for all clubs but it especially favours WA teams due to the very large zone and no real competition.
Sounds good in theory, but honestly in the last 5 years, who is an actual player that the club has developed into a out and out gun, or even shown signs of?

Our development pathways over the last couple of years are pathetic and embarrassing. If the above is true, then add Development Programs to the list of things needing and overhaul within the club.

Knowing WC the past few years, we might have a Diacos MkII in our NGA, but he will turn out to be the next Partington

Sounds good in theory, but honestly in the last 5 years, who is an actual player that the club has developed into a out and out gun, or even shown signs of?

Our development pathways over the last couple of years are pathetic and embarrassing. If the above is true, then add Development Programs to the list of things needing and overhaul within the club.

Knowing WC the past few years, we might have a Diacos MkII in our NGA, but he will turn out to be the next Partington
Yes but there was no incentive to develop anyone in the NGA before because we didn't have access to the elite talent, so why bother/

Have they done away with these zones from a few years ago? https://www.afl.com.au/draft/nga-clubacademies

Screenshot 2024-07-21 at 10.58.28 PM.png

Setterfield is a fringe player who has been at 3 clubs so far. He would be cheap as chips.

Getting 2 of Setterfield, Garcia and DevRob would be big for our midfield.

Probably the biggest downside to Setterfield is he is only an inside mid, no second position.

If he can be best 22 for 2-3 years, or maybe more once Yeo and Kelly retire, he'd be an amazing get. Would allow us more flexibility with managing Kelly and Yeo too.
Setterfield and Parish are not names I expected to come up but make sense for both clubs in a way. Takes a little pressure off the kids and allows to develop the kids in the second units and WAFL.

Yeo and Setterfield might not be the ideal centre square set up though.

Setterfield and Parish are not names I expected to come up but make sense for both clubs in a way. Takes a little pressure off the kids and allows to develop the kids in the second units and WAFL.

Yeo and Setterfield might not be the ideal centre square set up though.
I dont think it matters too much if its an ideal setup tbh. As long as we stop getting smashed in there its a win.

If it prolongs Yeos career by allowing him to do stints in the backline(maybe even play there full time), it also covers for the likes of JJ/Witho being delisted with an experienced player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back