List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 57 19.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 46 15.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 6.7%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't like the idea of trading barrass, he's a gun and a player you can build a team around for the next 4-5 years.

If he goes and gov retires, we rely completely on Hedwards and Bazzo making the grade.

Yes we'd expect at least 1 high end pick for him and that's great - but it's also no certainty...

Garcia will re-sign.

And it’d look more like Barass and a second rounder for English.

English will also re-sign though, Cal Twomey basically said it’s a lock last week and they’re just finalising things. People on Dogs board reckon it’ll be done this week.
You need to go and listen to what Twomey actually said.

Can we do something left field with our cap room and do the reverse of the norm?

Instead of trading a player and paying half their salary, can we goto Sydney and say re-negoiate Chad Warner's contract now, and we'll pay $600 - $800 of it for 2025 & 2026 on the condition you trade him at close to "market" rate to us after 2026?

Sydney get to contend for another 2 years, and we are essentially buying a draft pick?
What could possibly go wrong?

Sydney in 2027: "We think Chad's market rate is Reid + a top 5 draft pick"

TB goes H Edwards gets his shot.

Bazzo gets more games development.

If we trade with Hawthorn DGB is the steak knives.

Remember we are building for the future not 2025. It may take 2 or 3 years to find a fullback at the same level. In the short term we use a top 10 pick to land Travagalia or another quality mid.

Remember TB is 29. He won't be here when we contend again.

Another example is we can let Rotham go as a UFA and replace him with Ruscoe. Nothing lost there and we land a mature age replacement to support the kids.
It’s not just replacing barass though. We need to replace McGovern, Yeo, sheed, gaff, Cripps, darling etc as well. The issue is there is a gap between our senior players and the Oscar Allen age group. We don’t have many people naturally aging into senior (30’ish) players. We can’t get rid of one of the few that will.

Highly doubt we go for Barass unless he’d only cost a second round pick which is unlikely. And there’s a 0% chance English moves interstate.
You're likely wrong on both accounts.

Jagga Smith's full highlights from an excellent Champs run in which he must have finished a very close second to Murphy Reid for Metro MVP. Jagga entered the 2024 season already highly regarded and has only solidified his sterling reputation to the point that he's now firmly in the pick 1 conversation.

Would be very happy with him or Draper at our pick. Like the way he dances around in traffic to create space with clean hands to get the ball out of congestion.

What could possibly go wrong?

Sydney in 2027: "We think Chad's market rate is Reid + a top 5 draft pick"
The whole point of Chad Warner is to have him alongside Reid and our other young mids. Pointless exercise.

Sell Seniors:
3. Trade Barrass + F2PP to Dogs for 2025 F1, Busslinger.

So basically you're trading Barass for the Dogs F1 (our F2PP for Busslinger is about right), when they will probably be pretty bloody good? No thanks

4. Trade Ryan (with Salary), Dogs 2025 F1, F3PP, to GC for pick 8, 20.

Based on the above, you've now traded Liam Ryan, Tom Barass and as F3 for pick 8 and 20. What a shitty shitty deal.
Was trying to be ultra realistic with these trades, he's 29 with back issues.

We could probably get better picks in both these scenarios if we paid some salary, but I don't reckon there would be clubs willing to pay that much more than 8 or 20 for Barrass or Ryan given their age and injury histories.
Serious question, would you not trade Barrass for Travaglia?

Dogs F1 has a pretty big range imo 5-15 next year in a draft where the top end is probably worth more than this year.

Don't like the idea of trading barrass, he's a gun and a player you can build a team around for the next 4-5 years.

If he goes and gov retires, we rely completely on Hedwards and Bazzo making the grade.

Yes we'd expect at least 1 high end pick for him and that's great - but it's also no certainty...
Well it is a certainty or we don’t trade him…..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Calling for BOND 007 to provide some input here. Exactly how ruthless will Matthew Clarke be come end of season!!!

It appears to all concerned that Dom Sheed's feet will not allow him to continue playing AFL. From my records, he is contracted until end of next season and most likely will never be able to play at the level he used to. In other words, he will make a good WAFL player only.

Would the Clarke be bold enough to delist and re-rookie him at the end of 2024? If so, do we get to count any of his salary outside the normal cap (this might be a Miguel Sanchez question)?

Dom comes on as a rookie with the expectation of earning his contract per the contract but knowing his body is cooked. WAFL Beagles will appreciate him in the centre. Simmo gone so he no longer gets the credits in the bank due to his GF winning goal.

Now for Callum Jamieson. Job had bucket loads of patience but not me. Even as a Claremont supporter, I cannot see any benefit of keeping Jamieson on the list. Each year he crops up with 2 or 3 injuries that means he usually plays less than 25% of the games available. I hear he might be a good KPD but fail to see it. He has been tried in the ruck and as a KPF and again, I fail to see many (if not any) AFL traits in his 200 cm frame.

He is contracted until end of next year and I assume he would be on a very low contract base. Why not just delist him a year early and take the salary hit? I would be happy to see him back at Claremont as his body might be ok for WAFL (I doubt it).

My hope is that we do a trade with Rotham (I know he is a FA) but a club losing a FA would be ok with a R3 or R4 pick to not compromise their own compensation.

My easy first round 4 to delist are Gaff, L Edwards (too slow), Jones (too much the butcher) and Baker (not enough AFL traits).
Next round of 3 are Trew (last of the trio in my priority to go), Rotham (deer in the headlights) and Culley (just looks to slow to be a mid and not clean enough as a forward).
Potential to add in Jamieson to make it 8.

Assuming Tom is looking more likely to go, I think there are enough list spots if Clarke wants to wear the big boy pants.

Last edited:
I think we have to accept Greg was a great bloke but not talented enough to play his better role at AFL level.
To think otherwise is in the 'we didn't develop Brander' camp.
Oh I agree, however he probably was never given a fair chance at the role he excelled in at WAFL level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back