List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 57 19.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 46 15.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 6.7%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

Last edited by a moderator:
Rather trade Oscar Allen instead of Barrass
Strong first post, you will fit in well around here. Welcome to big footy. But, I disagree.
The recruiting department at the eagles is really quite poor. They need to be investigated.
Only so many investigations can be done at one time. Now the Eagles have worked out Duggans age and confirmed a four year contract may be all right, they can look at other possible investigations.

Suggest you put this idea forward to WCE HQ.
Season 3 Episode 21 GIF by Martin

Strong first post, you will fit in well around here. Welcome to big footy. But, I disagree.

Only so many investigations can be done at one time. Now the Eagles have worked out Duggans age and confirmed a four year contract may be all right, they can look at other possible investigations.

Suggest you put this idea forward to WCE HQ.
Season 3 Episode 21 GIF by Martin
Appreciate it

We've got plenty of up and coming forwards... And umm Harry Edwards as a reserve back... Perhaps the two first rounders for Allen might be better according to me... Keep the dam wall plugged for another few years

Appreciate it

We've got plenty of up and coming forwards... And umm Harry Edwards as a reserve back... Perhaps the two first rounders for Allen might be better according to me... Keep the dam wall plugged for another few years
See how Bazzo finishes the year, Jamieson did his job at the start of the year. Bring in DGB as steak knives if TB leaves, hopefully Gov can transform his game

Gee there's a few on here with too much time on their hands. Complaining about Duggan getting 4 years and not 3 - sheesh

He is 40yo.

I’m a Duggan fan and think he gets harshly judged by some on here, but he wouldn’t demand a salary that would trigger band 1 compo

He’d need to be on $800-850k plus for that to happen and I just don’t see anyone paying that for him

So it would be band 2 and an end of R1 pick. Not sure if that justifies lowballing your skipper

The difference with Barrass is he may generate a top 10 pick, possibly more, and he’s at least open to a trade having explored that previously

If Josh Battle is getting the money to warrant band 1 (as reported) then I think Duggan would have gone very close. Clubs overpay to get these guys.

lol be serious.

Priority picks, let alone those sort of priority picks are only given out when a club becomes a serious long-term liability on the AFL's balance sheet.

Somewhat depressed viewership for Eagles games wouldn't move the needle.
If we don't recieve any support, serious questions need to be asked re. What is the purpose/point of PP's?

• Are they just to support teams that are in a financially poor state/in geographic locations that the AFL is expanding into?
  • Or are they in place to support any team who have been putting up poor on- field performances for a sustained period of time, and who have limited opportunity to improve that in the near future

If it's the former, my view is that they should not exist full stop.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Eagles playing badly affects afl balance sheet. Who do you think earns the money for afl?
Like I said, it doesn't move the needle.

The AFL doesn't benefit from the West Coast revenue machine, not directly. Our earnings could halve and they'd still pay us the minimum distribution.

They indirectly profit off WCE as part of the broadcast rights deal. Whatever nominal decline in viewership is made up in the aggregate e.g. Carlton being good. It's priced in.

North being dogshit directly costs them ~$8-10M p.a. in excess of normal distributions and it will only get worse with Tas. Not to mention GC and GWS.

PPs are a discretionary, break glass in case of budget emergency, AFL power, not an equalisation measure and there's little incentive to give them to WCE.

One of the best deals for TB that I can see would be English compo and Smith trade for TB and pick 23. Or an end of round one future pp if we received anything.

Smith to cats for pick 14

English to Eagles band one compo pick 11.

TB and pick 23 to dogs

Picks 11 & 14 to Eagles.

Those picks probably push out to 14 & 17 due to the “complex nature of the draft”

Bailey Williams & Eagles F3 to Pies for pick 28 and pies F3.

Start of round 2 and round 3 2025 picks on-traded to the Tigers for Baker. (same compo as Nth in 2022.)

Take picks 3, 14, 17, 28 and 59 to the draft. Bring in Baker and English. Add a couple of rookies and it would be an okay off season.
I looked at this. I don’t think there’s a big enough difference in talent between the Smith pick and pick 23 to warrant it. I’d do:

11,14,30 for Barrass and 23
OR
11,14 for Barrass and F2

Ideally I’d want to trade with the Hawks. 8 and 26 (10 and 30) for Barrass, which I think would be Barrass for Travaglia and Mraz.

Does seem like classic West Coast that they had a handshake agreement to increase his wage so he stays and then when they actually did it, they only increased it by a tiny amount.
Well, we gave him an increase. Even if it was only 5cents.

We honoured our agreement.

Trade him or let him rot, ala Mitch Brown St Kilda rejection.

Barrass is doing a Scotty Pitten. F HIM. grow some balls and refuse the money and extra years.

If he was out for 3 years with successive knee recons, would he give some of his money back? Nope, so F HIM.

If we don't recieve any support, serious questions need to be asked re. What is the purpose/point of PP's?

• Are they just to support teams that are in a financially poor state/in geographic locations that the AFL is expanding into?
  • Or are they in place to support any team who have been putting up poor on- field performances for a sustained period of time, and who have limited opportunity to improve that in the near future

If it's the former, my view is that they should not exist full stop.
100% - It's definitely the former and such an obvious example of them putting their interests ahead of supposed 'equalisation'. And the shockingly credulous media just toes the party line like it's the salary cap or something.

These are the recipients after they made it discretionary in 2012:
  • Brisbane;
  • Gold Coast; and
  • North Melbourne.

During that period over a five year stretchCarlton went 18th, 14th, 16th, 18th, 16th - and got nada.

Honestly, this shit is going to turn me into Georgie.

Have to confess I was in the no column to English earlier in the year but I’m in danger of flip flopping to yes. Mainly due to the following

• Flynn hasn’t yet proven to be what we hoped for. He’s had two injuries that have kept him out of the side for 13 of our 18 games so has done nothing to dispel durability concerns. And in the games he did play he looked slow and cumbersome, perhaps due to a lack of match fitness to be fair. Only his first year at the club so things might change but there’s no guarantee
• Williams has been forced to carry the ruck load again and despite his willingness to compete he’s consistently outsized and outmatched. As a No. 1 ruck he’s at the bottom of the rankings. Further, the hope was he’d be the backup to Flynn playing more forward but in the small sample of games in that role he was underwhelming
• The emergence of Jack Williams as a viable forward/ruck option
• The salary cost of English appears to have lowered as has the likelihood that the Bulldogs would match any FA offer provided they’d get Band 1 compensation which would be a top 10 pick if they miss finals

We definitely need additional talent by any and all means available. Being able to add an AA ruckman for no draft capital cost seems like too good an opportunity to pass up. At a minimum it gets us to a competitive level in a position we’ve struggled with the last 3 years once Nicnat broke for good

Flynn can be the first choice backup whilst Jack Williams can play as forward/ruck support for English. Barnett can continue to develop in the WAFL sharing the ruck with Flynn or we can explore other options for him as either a KPF or KPD

This gives us the option of trading Williams if there’s any interested buyers. I wouldn’t hold high expectations for what we might get but durable talls have good market value so a 3rd round pick is possible
I too was strongly against English on the huge coin that had been talked about last year. But if form and concussion concerns drive his asking price down enough then I agree that it may be a good call.

Hopefully we could heavily front end his deal so that we keep the account balance healthy for Harley and hopefully a couple more stars like Warner in the future.

If English came across then Cox as senior coach would be a match made in heaven. He seems to have reignited Grundy’s career and could get the best out English with some improved ruck craft. Honestly don’t know how a 207cm athlete loses the hit out count every week 🤦🏻‍♂️

Sadly English would top our disposal count some weeks given our lack of mids that can accumulate the footy.

100% - It's definitely the former and such an obvious example of them putting their interests ahead of supposed 'equalisation'. And the shockingly credulous media just toes the party line like it's the salary cap or something.

These are the recipients after they made it discretionary in 2012:
  • Brisbane;
  • Gold Coast; and
  • North Melbourne.

During that period over a five year stretchCarlton went 18th, 14th, 16th, 18th, 16th - and got nada.

Honestly, this shit is going to turn me into Georgie.
Carlton did get a little help priority access to state league players and could trade them, helped turn that into Mitch McGovern.

Doesn’t really help now with MSD.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back