List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 57 19.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 46 15.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 6.7%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

Last edited by a moderator:
just cant see us going early on darling. a club legend in his own right, would be very unlike eagles.

i think we need to cut deep.
id get rid of all;

gaff
witho
culley
JJ
baker
rotham
ledwards
rawlinson (may be harsh)
trew

i can see arguments for burgiel also, but i'd back in his upside for at least one more year.
Don’t see the point in keeping Burgiel with his hamstring issues but I’m not a doctor.

Not so sure we'll pay anyone out at all.

Of the players out of contract at the end of 2025 only Darling* and Sheed are 100% guaranteed to go (*even then - Darling could get a reprieve if injuries allow him significant forward time and he has a Tex Walker-style late career resurgence).

There are three who are almost certainly gone in Jamieson, Petruccelle and Cripps, but any or all of them could survive if they had a reasonable burst of form at the right time.

Then there are then five others who might go if they get unlucky or their form doesn't progress/takes a nosedive at the wrong time in Chesser, Livingston, Hutchinson, McGovern, and Bazzo.

If we say that the first five are definitely gone, and then two of the last group as well - that's just 7 players. If we pay out a contract or two this year, all of a sudden we're in the position where we've likely finished in the bottom few clubs and can only move on a handful of players, which wouldn't go down well.

So looking at it that way - we're probably better off leaving guys like Cripps, Sheed, Darling, Jamieson, etc on the list for one more year to provide backup where needed, hopefully strengthen the Beagles, and then shuffle off into the twilight at the end of the season to make way for fresh blood, rather than taking one more guy at pick 60+ who has to stay on the list for two years even if it's evident pretty quickly he's probably not up to it, and prevent us from using whatever good picks we do end up with next year.

I said last week out of frustration Bailey Williams is cancer and should be delisted asap.

After reviewing bailey Williams game this week where he did better. I think bailey Williams is cancer and should be delisted asap.

No more trading bailey w. Just straight delisted get him out asap by any means
I think anyone using a cancer metaphor to describe any of our players is really poor form.

Sorry if this makes me woke.

Calling Bailey Williams a cancer is very poor form
He aint the greatest, for sure, but he's tried his guts out in a position he wasn't recruited for because of the dire state of our list.
Trade him, fine with that, if it suits/benefits the club...
With all due respect to the player.
Haven't heard any inside talk that he is a negative influence, apart from dirty mogate
Calling for delisting him is simply absurd imho

*CC got in before as I was typing

I think we can safely say that Ledwards, Rotham and Culley are gone.

Darling has dropped off so much that I would rather he get paid out before Sheed. Sheed at least can be depth in a position of need. Darling is surplus.
Yeah these three plus jones and gaff are probably the obvious ones.

The conversation has to be had with both Darling and Sheed that they’ll be predominantly WAFL players in 2025 and will only play to cover injuries

Let them make the decision if that’s how they want to end their AFL career or they’d prefer a negotiated payout

Sheed seems the more likely to hang up the boots since he’s having to manage that foot injury which must be painful. Darling meanwhile, is closing in on 300 games and is healthier body wise

Jamieson might well be done for the year with his knee so he might be another candidate for an early payout since he’s really struggled to stay on the park in any meaningful sense
If Gaff is on the list next year the list management team needs to go. Cannot keep someone on the list for WAFL only. Especially someone like Gaff who is not a leader. His body language is terrible & doesn't lead by example on field

If Gaff is on the list next year the list management team needs to go. Cannot keep someone on the list for WAFL only. Especially someone like Gaff who is not a leader. His body language is terrible & doesn't lead by example on field

Gaff is out it contract at the end of this year. It’s only a matter of time before he announces his retirement - he won’t be on the list next year

If we sign a FA like English, do we really want to pay out all of sheed, jammo, darling etc?

They have little to no place on our list moving forward, but we shouldn’t be wasteful with our salary cap unnecessarily. I guess it depends on how many acceptable picks we end up with and what we do with the witherden, culley types.

I reckon any pick under 50, maybe even 60 in this draft has more value to us than the aforementioned players.

Bad year to have traded our third.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
We have like 6 guys to delist before removing those guys. If nothing else Sheed and Darling are very good WAFL players and can bring some leadership.

If we are losing Culley and Trew we need to keep Sheed imo, and Darling has gotta stay to help Archer.

Jamo can go though

Not so sure we'll pay anyone out at all.

Of the players out of contract at the end of 2025 only Darling* and Sheed are 100% guaranteed to go (*even then - Darling could get a reprieve if injuries allow him significant forward time and he has a Tex Walker-style late career resurgence).

There are three who are almost certainly gone in Jamieson, Petruccelle and Cripps, but any or all of them could survive if they had a reasonable burst of form at the right time.

Then there are then five others who might go if they get unlucky or their form doesn't progress/takes a nosedive at the wrong time in Chesser, Livingston, Hutchinson, McGovern, and Bazzo.

If we say that the first five are definitely gone, and then two of the last group as well - that's just 7 players. If we pay out a contract or two this year, all of a sudden we're in the position where we've likely finished in the bottom few clubs and can only move on a handful of players, which wouldn't go down well.

So looking at it that way - we're probably better off leaving guys like Cripps, Sheed, Darling, Jamieson, etc on the list for one more year to provide backup where needed, hopefully strengthen the Beagles, and then shuffle off into the twilight at the end of the season to make way for fresh blood, rather than taking one more guy at pick 60+ who has to stay on the list for two years even if it's evident pretty quickly he's probably not up to it, and prevent us from using whatever good picks we do end up with next year.
We have 3 NGA kids next year plus our first pick, then maybe a rookie. I dont think we take any more than that.
Thats 4-5 main list spots and a rookie

We can make it work with 6-7 list spots next year

Darling and Sheed as contracted depth that help straighten up the WAFL team are no brainers. Zero sense paying them out when it’s so easy to open up 5-8 list spots without really having to try particularly hard. If they weren’t contacted, sure, have the conversation, but they are so just let them continue the heavy lifting we’ve seen from them when they play WAFL.

They’ll stay, and their staying will help us.

As you said Draper and FOS genuine mids we need vs a CHB who wants to play midfield and is rumoured to be homesick?

Curtin was pick what 9 or 10? and a year after playing little AFL they want a straight swap for a pick 2/3 for a genuine midfielder we badly need?

Or they want what is very likely to be a pick 1 or 2 for the same guy?

They can gagf they’ll be the ones needing to sweeten the deal significantly.

Easier for Crows to deal with North IMO.

North value their pick less than we do due to all the extra help and picks already provided.

And North get Trainor plus extras.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Im all for Liam Ryan going to Freo for the latest of their 1st round picks. I saw a team needing a desperate upgrade on Sam Sturt today and Ryan fits the bill. A top 20 pock is a slight overpay but Freo wont have a better target.

They could trade with the Crows for Draper and still get Trainor at 5.
I think Draper will be an Eagle by then at 1 or 2.

And if the intel is the Roos will go Trainor why would the Crows do it? Unless they finish above the Saints and they get band 1? Then the worry is Saints would take Trainor before their new pick to replace Battle.

A lot clearly will depend on the final ladder

Last edited:
I think it’s time to move OA back permanently when Gov retires or TB leaves. JWill, Waterman and Archer Reid our Fwds for the future. OA doesn’t seem to have the same control when going for marks, JWill seems stronger in contested situations, Waterman lead up is the best in the afl atm. Reid is showing some glimpses of how good he is in the air at WAFL. Just a thought of how to manage our land of the giants.

I think it’s time to move OA back permanently when Gov retires or TB leaves. JWill, Waterman and Archer Reid our Fwds for the future. OA doesn’t seem to have the same control when going for marks, JWill seems stronger in contested situations, Waterman lead up is the best in the afl atm. Reid is showing some glimpses of how good he is in the air at WAFL. Just a thought of how to manage our land of the giants.
It’s actually not the worst call, though it seems a shame

I feel Archer Reids best spot is defense. Has Harris Andrew vibes to me. I think as a tall forward he isnt going to be good enough pressure player and also probably isnt the best kick/shot on goal you will find for that spot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back