List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 57 19.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 46 15.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 6.7%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

Last edited by a moderator:
E
Love it because I’m very keen on Travaglia. Other option is 10 and 22 for GC 6 if the intel is he won’t be there plus talk is he is moving up in a big way or we love another mid/fwd.

3- Draper/FOS
6- Lalor/Langford/Reid/Travaglia
26- Davis/Oliver

Does 10 and 22 for 6 really help the Suns, they still lose that 1st rounder to a Lombard bid.

We could offer our future 1st and pick 23 for 2024 pick 6 and the Suns future 1st. Next years draft is being described as one of the most compromised ever. This year we get pick 3 that slides to pick 4. So our next years 1st is likely around pick 4 as well.

Suns future 1st likely around pick 10, same as the Hawks. And we may just trade that for a player.

Hit this draft with 3, 6 and 10. Draper, Travagalia and one of Lalor / Langford / Reid / Moraes / Linsay / Berry

Draper, Trainor and Travagalia?

Still hold the Suns F1st.

Last edited:
Would there?

I don't recall a heap of applicants when Simmo got appointed, at least not publicly.

I'd say it's more that Cox and Carr have other reasons to stay, which have been discussed fairly publicly and relate to their families and likely promotions to senior coach at their current clubs.

Graham's possibly already discussed with Pyke and perhaps doesn't feel comfortable with the KPIs expected of the role.

Then there's also the chatter that it's better for senior assistants to not apply for the role and get knocked back, so I assume most of the candidates will go through a preliminary discussion before deciding whether it's worth the chance or not.
Poisoned challis comes to mind when thinking about the WCE coach job. Realistically the person they put in next won't survive the next 3 years.

We're at the Ken Judge stage of the coaching cycle. We'll churn around the bottom for the next 2 to 3 years, at least, and the coach will be laid to blame.

The supporters and media will be calling for blood and the club will relent.

Obviously it's dependent on who we draft over the coming years however my point was for the perilous position our list is in.

If it hits the fan, we could only have Allen out of that list who survives. Best case it will be Allen, Waterman, Reid with back up from Baker as a 31yo. The rest shouldn't really be on a list that is serious about competing.

If sh!t hit the fan and we stuff up the next three drafts and trade periods we will struggle.

Well. Hard to disagree with that glass half empty prediction.

Bored Married With Children GIF

Trade Out (2): Barrass (Hawthorn- Picks 10,26), B Williams (F3)
Trade In (1) : Baker (F2)
FA (2) : English, Graham

Draft picks (5) - 3,10,23,26,59(Champion)
Picks for 2025 -
F1,2xF3,F4

Overall - 3 new players in, 2 players out, minimum 5 draft picks

Need to delist minimum 7 players -
Gaff, Rotham, Jones, L Edwards, Sheed (medical retirement- foot)

Plus 2* of Trew, Culley, Rawlinson, Baker (all rookies), Burgiel or Witherden

*Add one more of this group for each additional player you want traded in or draft/rookie pick used
That's kinda how I see it, with a Dev or Garcia potentially being added and one additional player being cut (or Petch traded if anyone is willing to take him). It's substantial change without burning the place down and also leaves us with a good mix of draft picks. I have a feeling Sheed won't be retired, he will play WAFL and be back-up, with Baker definitely gone and either Trew or Culley getting the chop.

E

Does 10 and 22 for 6 really help the Suns, they still lose that 1st rounder to a Lombard bid.

We could offer our future 1st and pick 23 for 2024 pick 6 and the Suns future 1st. Next years draft is being described as one of the most compromised ever. This year we get pick 3 that slides to pick 4. So our next years 1st is likely around pick 4 as well.

Suns future 1st likely around pick 10, same as the Hawks. And we may just trade that for a player.

Hit this draft with 3, 6 and 10. Draper, Travagalia and Langford / Reid.

Still hold the Suns F1st.
They did it last year. Started with 4 which they traded with the dogs and then traded 10 back with the Crows I believe and so on. The market will dictate that. Only see them trading it if they believe there will be a bid on Lombard, otherwise they will try and grab and run with 2 of the best 7 kids in the county.

Hate the trading future first to get into this draft idea. Likely top 2 pick and who knows how the next 12 months will play out. If it compromised you might as well be at the higher end of it.

Poisoned challis comes to mind when thinking about the WCE coach job. Realistically the person they put in next won't survive the next 3 years.

We're at the Ken Judge stage of the coaching cycle. We'll churn around the bottom for the next 2 to 3 years, at least, and the coach will be laid to blame.

If we’ve got another two years of complete uncompetitiveness then what’s the point.

It’s never as good or as bad as it seems.

That's kinda how I see it, with a Dev or Garcia potentially being added and one additional player being cut (or Petch traded if anyone is willing to take him). It's substantial change without burning the place down and also leaves us with a good mix of draft picks. I have a feeling Sheed won't be retired, he will play WAFL and be back-up, with Baker definitely gone and either Trew or Culley getting the chop.

Petch to Carlton for Carroll?

Both fringe depth players.

Carlton look like moving on Jack Martin as well. They may lose Owies. Fantasia is hit and miss and I question his ability in finals when it gets tough. Moir is a slow burn.

Blues need fast forwards who can impact in their role now.

Petch to Carlton for Carroll?

Both fringe depth players.

Carlton look like moving on Jack Martin as well. They may lose Owies. Fantasia is hit and miss and I question his ability in finals when it gets tough. Moir is a slow burn.

Blues need fast forwards who can impact in their role now.
Why not, fringe for fringe and maybe a change of scenery does one or both good.

Travaglia 27D, 12K, 15H, 4M, 11T, 1G and 7 inside 50s. Slam dunk selection if we get a Barrass pick.

Jacques had a good game too and would be a good late 20s/early 30s HBF option if Oliver is gone.
It pains me to say but I can’t see a world where this kid makes it through a pick we may get for Barrass.

They did it last year. Started with 4 which they traded with the dogs and then traded 10 back with the Crows I believe and so on. The market will dictate that. Only see them trading it if they believe there will be a bid on Lombard, otherwise they will try and grab and run with 2 of the best 7 kids in the county.

Hate the trading future first to get into this draft idea. Likely top 2 pick and who knows how the next 12 months will play out. If it compromised you might as well be at the higher end of it.

Unless we finish last or 2nd last in 2025 our 1st pick will slide to 4 or 5 IMO, like this years will.

So we get pick 6 a year early. Nothing lost there.

And we upgrade our 2024 pick 22 that slides out to pick 25 plus into a late top 10 pick next year.

And we get a player like a Travagalia or Lalor or Trainor 12 months earlier.

Richmond look like they will lose multiple top players and experience. Dusty, Grimes, Rioli, Baker, Graham and possibly Bolton. If that happens we arent finishing last.

Saints, Crows and Collingwood no certainties to improve in 2025. Crows could be looking for a new couch half way through the season.

If we land English, Graham, Garcia and Baker we improve a spot or two in 2025.

It pains me to say but I can’t see a world where this kid makes it through a pick we may get for Barrass.
Don’t underestimate the value of pure mids also Trainor and Armstrong would be sought after in the top 10. I think pick 9 (excl. NGA/FS) is as high as he goes so Hawks finishing 10th would be ideal.

With the Freo pick swap deal floating around there might be an opportunity to get him earlier if we get wind of an early pick on him.

Prolific output in this game from Moraes who managed to bag 5 goals along with his usual high possession count playing predominantly on ball with occasional stints forward. His forward craft has matured over the course of the season, he showed his capability as a lead/mark target and was especially dangerous at forward 50 stoppages getting on the move, collecting the ball off the tap and rapidly getting boot to ball to snap at goal. I'd still like to see him improve his consistency with his field kicking, but if he can continue to deliver like this he might find his draft stocks rising again after they slid a little in recent weeks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Us trying to sell Barnett to crows is like hawks trying to sell DGB to us. Let’s see if we can trick the other club thinking they are getting an A grader. Just add water.

Hard to say.

Supporters during the Judge era were used to playing finals and winning flags under Malthouse, so it was the first time the club had really experienced such a lull.

Then there's the drugs issues that were swept under the carpet during his tenure(and Woosha's).

The fact we haven't really been in a place to actually contend for a flag since we fell off a cliff at the end of '19 would indicate to me that most fans are realistic with where the team is at.

Clubs are also far better at messaging these days and fans tend to have a better grasp of the cyclical nature of football.

You only have to see the support Simmo received after he got the flick, despite overseeing the worst 2 years in club history.

I think fans will be prepared to be more patient with the next coach, provided they see the players putting in the effort and can see the team gradually improving.

Us trying to sell Barnett to crows is like hawks trying to sell DGB to us. Let’s see if we can trick the other club thinking they are getting an A grader. Just add water.

He's a South Aussie and the Crom are obsessed with getting South Aussies back so I assume they'd be foaming to bring him back in a heartbeat.

Unless we finish last or 2nd last in 2025 our 1st pick will slide to 4 or 5 IMO, like this years will.

So we get pick 6 a year early. Nothing lost there.

And we upgrade our 2024 pick 22 that slides out to pick 25 plus into a late top 10 pick next year.

And we get a player like a Travagalia or Lalor or Trainor 12 months earlier.

Richmond look like they will lose multiple top players and experience. Dusty, Grimes, Rioli, Baker, Graham and possibly Bolton. If that happens we arent finishing last.

Saints, Crows and Collingwood no certainties to improve in 2025. Crows could be looking for a new couch half way through the season.

If we land English, Graham, Garcia and Baker we improve a spot or two in 2025.
But 6 likely to easily become 9 this year?

Agreed a lot would come down to what experienced players they have on the hook and where they believe that pick is projected to land next year. If Clarke and Pyke go chips all in and bring in the ones you named plus Bolton or a Warner you would definitely do it. They would have some thoughts on what FA or players they could get next year which would influence the decision

A lot of the off season has now some how fallen around English. No one really sold on him as the ruck we need but also most understand he would be our number 1 ruck and what that might do in able to trade B Williams ect.

He's a South Aussie and the Crom are obsessed with getting South Aussies back so I assume they'd be foaming to bring him back in a heartbeat.
They are. Most fans wanted him at draft time and haven’t let go of that. Let’s hope they can’t stream or get a copy of his WAFL games this years

Our wins this year against Freo, Melb and GC have shown we are a midtable team when we have our B22 on the field (and they are in form). Our challenge is maintaining that form (hopefully the new coach fixes this) and our lack of depth (so a few injuries saw our performances drop right off).

Some smart trades and ongoing development of the young players will fix the depth issue. Get the right coach and I'm confident we've already turned the corner and could be mid table as soon as next year.

Hopefully we have picked enough top end talent to get into top 4 when the young guys are ready to be mainstays (2-3 seasons from now).

Hutch was quick what are you laughing about ?

We used to play him on Saad .

Its why he was an effective tagger as he could keep up with both quick mids and endurance mids .
Lol cause he was the only shut down player in the side. He also used to get burnt by Saad and usually trailer him by 30-40m.

Hutch was the definition of a plodder

We can't win the ball off the ground, replete with players with poor stoppage craft who lack creativity by hand and agility in contested situations. As a result, can't keep the ball in the forward half or convert inside contest to clear outside possession to save our life.

So why on earth are people so desperate to attain a backwards of centre intercept style midfield-ish defender like Travaglia?

A fascinating watch as we saw some of the best and worst of Xavier in the one performance. Like all the Power team he struggled enormously with the intense Rebels pressure throughout the game but especially in the first half, a half in which the Power fell well behind on the scoreboard and I've never seen Lindsay miss so many targets. In the second half he tried to lift both himself and his team, and in doing so he made even more mistakes including giving away free kicks, but in spite of that his relentless attack on the contest inspired his teammates and they mounted a strong comeback that ultimately fell short.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back