List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 57 19.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 46 15.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 6.7%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

Last edited by a moderator:
This is typical West Coast thinking. Our club has to become more ruthless.

When was the last time we had 2 clubs fighting over a player who's 29 and will unlikely be part of our next premiership push, who could net us a good first and good second round pick?

We have players either playing out of position or in the WAFL who can replace TB. This will infinitely speed up our rebuild.

In my mind, this is a no brainer
Yeah as much as Barrass has been a legend and great player for us now's the time to work out players with high value and our list needs which is drafting high quality midfielders especially with Ginbey now looking like a gun half backman.

Kelly Yeo are getting on a bit. 4 years before they retire. Our real future mids are Reid, Hall, possibly Chesser. There is a huge issue we need to fill. We need a midfield to run at least 6-7 deep in a premiership calibre side. Our first few picks should be mids this year to set us up. Trading Barrass for a top 10 mid and a 2nd rnd draft pick. Maybe we get another Shuey with a pick in the 20s. Barrass trade is big for us. It will set us up a lot more then keeping him.

Barrass is the only player on our list that is the right time and could demand us some decent draft picks. Key fullback these days are proving pretty valuable on the trade market.

For us we can get by on Edwards Gov and hopefully Bazzo is ready to go and step up next season.

I like Tobie but what is his projected position in the AFL. Can he be pushed into the midfield full time or is his best spot as a HBF/roaming defender? With Ginbey performing well in his role down back so far would they be playing in similar positions?

If we draft him I would hope we draft him with the vision of him becoming a wingman.

His dashing run and carry and his overlap skills would be well suited on a wing, he also can float forward and hit the score board.

I like Tobie but what is his projected position in the AFL. Can he be pushed into the midfield full time or is his best spot as a HBF/roaming defender? With Ginbey performing well in his role down back so far would they be playing in similar positions?

I see a lot of Issac Smith traits in his game.

Yeah as much as Barrass has been a legend and great player for us now's the time to work out players with high value and our list needs which is drafting high quality midfielders especially with Ginbey now looking like a gun half backman.

Kelly Yeo are getting on a bit. 4 years before they retire. Our real future mids are Reid, Hall, possibly Chesser. There is a huge issue we need to fill. We need a midfield to run at least 6-7 deep in a premiership calibre side. Our first few picks should be mids this year to set us up. Trading Barrass for a top 10 mid and a 2nd rnd draft pick. Maybe we get another Shuey with a pick in the 20s. Barrass trade is big for us. It will set us up a lot more then keeping him.

Barrass is the only player on our list that is the right time and could demand us some decent draft picks. Key fullback these days are proving pretty valuable on the trade market.

For us we can get by on Edwards Gov and hopefully Bazzo is ready to go and step up next season.
Little birdy just informed that his brother is also very keen to move to Melbourne in the near future. Sounds to me like all three siblings will be living in Melbourne soon.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

We can't win the ball off the ground, replete with players with poor stoppage craft who lack creativity by hand and agility in contested situations. As a result, can't keep the ball in the forward half or convert inside contest to clear outside possession to save our life.

So why on earth are people so desperate to attain a backwards of centre intercept style midfield-ish defender like Travaglia?
We are depleted in almost every facet apart from big key position players. Wings, elite kicks out of defence, meter gained machines, ground ball monsters. He fits the rebounding running defender/wing role we need.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

Chad Warner is proving to not be worth anywhere near the currency that was expected earlier this season.

His last two matches have seen him finish with 11 and 14 touches. He has shown that he is not capable of performing when the rest of his team-mates struggle.

Would still be very happy to have him but he is not a team you build around and I certainly wouldn't be offering what Shitney would expect.

Thankfully we already have that player to a build team around in Reid.

Hopefully this form drop means we wont be jumping at shadows and being too scared to trade out of future drafts for a compelling deal now.

Last edited:
We can't win the ball off the ground, replete with players with poor stoppage craft who lack creativity by hand and agility in contested situations. As a result, can't keep the ball in the forward half or convert inside contest to clear outside possession to save our life.

So why on earth are people so desperate to attain a backwards of centre intercept style midfield-ish defender like Travaglia?

Because quality intercept rebounding half backs in the modern game are just as important as top mids.

Whitfield example A. Nick Martin another.

And we havent had one since Jetta, and he wasnt a gun intercept marking defender.

Its is a well known major deficency in our list ATM

Last edited:
So thats looking at who we have now and what may happen over the next 3 to 4 years.

What about players being added?

Of course it looks glum when you list all the players who will likely regress or retire in the next 3 to 4 years without balancing that with players we will draft and trade in.
Yeah but you don't know who is being added so you can't just say we'll be back up the ladder in 4 years because we'll have sam Taylor , chad Warner, sheldrick, etc,etc,etc
We haven't attracted too many average players(buss, dev) let alone big names.
Hopefully we can lure some decent players back but just writing names fancifully on a screen doesn't make it so

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app

I suggest you go back watch a couple of the U18 champs games. Travaglia is a superb aerialist but his work (particularly in congestion) with the ground ball is elite. At least halves but usually wins most contests he gets to with the ball on the deck. There are many examples of him knocking or handballing to the advantage of an outside runner. His ability to influence the contest is one of his great strengths and one of the many reasons out of all the draftees he's the best fit for our list IMO.

The ball exiting our defence backwards of centre is perhaps the most glaring positional weakness in our list. Gov is elite but then we have butchers like Jones and Rotham who can't hit a 25 metre pass, Witherden and to a lesser extent Duggo biting off more than they can chew and Barrass with his momentum halting stop and kick as high as it is long despite a runner going past. Travaglia is elite in this category and it’s just as important as what we do when we have the ball as when we don’t have it.

Yeah but you don't know who is being added so you can't just say we'll be back up the ladder in 4 years because we'll have sam Taylor , chad Warner, sheldrick, etc,etc,etc
We haven't attracted too many average players(buss, dev) let alone big names.
Hopefully we can lure some decent players back but just writing names fancifully on a screen doesn't make it so

You cant say we are stuffed because we are losing older players over the next 3 seasons and not expect existing or new players to come in and step up.

They may come in and blitz it like the Baby Bombers did.

Nothing is certain other than change.

And considering just how poor we have been for three years I expect improvement over the next three years. Finishing six years in a row in the bottom 3 or 4 is what you are expecting?

I think we are two years behind the Hawks.

Last edited:
But 6 likely to easily become 9 this year?

Agreed a lot would come down to what experienced players they have on the hook and where they believe that pick is projected to land next year. If Clarke and Pyke go chips all in and bring in the ones you named plus Bolton or a Warner you would definitely do it. They would have some thoughts on what FA or players they could get next year which would influence the decision

A lot of the off season has now some how fallen around English. No one really sold on him as the ruck we need but also most understand he would be our number 1 ruck and what that might do in able to trade B Williams ect.

No it wont. 6 will become 7 with Ashcroft. 8 at the most if Lombard goes earlier.

That is Travagalia territory if we want to jump a little early.

No other father sons or academy kids rated that low. Even if they were it wouldnt matter as we cannot pick them anyway.

That Suns pick all but guarantees Travaglia IMO.

To set up forward thrusts? To win the ball in our back half? To bring creativity to our back half?

If he makes our 22 we’re ****ed. If it’s part of a Baker trade I’m fine with it. If not I’ll vomit. Giving a competitor 22 for baker would be horrid.
Absolutely agree.

I mean our side is stacked with AA's and elite talent. I mean how could Graham even be considered best 22 and even run on the field with legends like Witherden, Jones, Rotham and Luke Edwards. The audacity....

Its not like we have been just suriving with our head above water from all the A-graders we have.

News Flash: We have been terrible for the last three years, which means we need to pick these transitional players until we have a core group for the next run at it. If you haven't noticed, we have been ****ed for the last three years.
Does 10 and 22 for 6 really help the Suns, they still lose that 1st rounder to a Lombard bid.

We could offer our future 1st and pick 23 for 2024 pick 6 and the Suns future 1st. Next years draft is being described as one of the most compromised ever. This year we get pick 3 that slides to pick 4. So our next years 1st is likely around pick 4 as well.

Suns future 1st likely around pick 10, same as the Hawks. And we may just trade that for a player.

Hit this draft with 3, 6 and 10. Draper, Travagalia and one of Lalor / Langford / Reid / Moraes / Linsay / Berry

Draper, Trainor and Travagalia?

Still hold the Suns F1st.

I worry we will still be bottom three next year. And there is a real chance we can have Sharp too 🤤

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Freo 3 x R1 picks are moving backwards. My predictor had them finishing with picks 9, 12, 14 and 25. While I would love 9, 12 and 14 for 3 and 23, that may need a F3 to sweeten the deal.

If we want to keep our future picks in hand, then what about 10, 13 and 25 for 3 and 30 . I anticipate 3 gets Bolton from Tigerland (along with 1, they get 2 of Smith/Smillie/Draper/FOS)

Assuming we get 9 and 30 for Barrass.

Take to the draft 9, 10, 13, 23 and 25 (late pick for Champion)

There are a few I have on the board in the 20's I would like prior to pick 30, hence the value in getting 25 and giving up 30.

Looking at it through a Purple lens, they turn 9, 12, 14 and 25 into Bolton plus 14 and 30.

Because quality intercept rebounding half backs in the modern game are just as important as top mids.

Whitfield example A. Nick Martin another.

And we havent had one since Jetta, and he wasnt a gun intercept marking defender.

Its is a well known major deficency in our list ATM
Ginbey looked pretty good at this one on Friday!

You cant say we are stuffed because we are losing older players over the next 3 seasons and not expect existing or new players to come in and step up.

They may come in and blitz it like the Baby Bombers did.

Nothing is certain other than change.

And considering just how poor we have been for three years I expect improvement over the next three years. Finishing six years in a row in the bottom 3 or 4 is what you are expecting?

I think we are two years behind the Hawks.
No doubt the players we draft at the pointy end will be what drives us back up the ladder, whenever that is but my response was to the assumption that we'll bring all these guns in from other clubs . That may or may not happen. Obviously our rise up the ladder will take longer if we don't suddenly become more attractive to big names

The Freo 3 x R1 picks are moving backwards. My predictor had them finishing with picks 9, 12, 14 and 25. While I would love 9, 12 and 14 for 3 and 23, that may need a F3 to sweeten the deal.

If we want to keep our future picks in hand, then what about 10, 13 and 25 for 3 and 30 . I anticipate 3 gets Bolton from Tigerland (along with 1, they get 2 of Smith/Smillie/Draper/FOS)

There are a few I have on the board in the 20's I would like prior to pick 30, hence the value in getting 25 and giving up 30.

Looking at it through a Purple lens, they turn 9, 12, 14 and 25 into Bolton plus 14 and 30.
I just hate the idea of giving up top 3/4 picks for picks that are 9+. Just gross. Take the elite talent

Last edited:

I like it. Picks 8-13 are the best value picks in the draft IMO, big weekend this one for final ladder (and pick) positions.

Ginbey looked pretty good at this one on Friday!

I now call him "Beau" Ginbey. Loved his game on Friday. Crisp from the Pies is close to his style and who he mentioned he models his game on.

Beau strikes me as being more defensive / lock down with promise in the rebound / counter attacking role. Not convinced he is the elite interceptor and distributer we are looking for. More of the hard nut interceptor and rebounder.

Last edited:
So have our collective opinions on chucking a bucket of money at English changed since Friday? I was initially lukewarm to the idea, but watching BWill get absolutely smashed really highlighted the case for his replacement as a ruckman for mine.

9 becomes 11.

Risk there is we miss out on all the top rated mids. And also miss Travagalia, Trainor and Lalor.

9, 10, 13, 23 and 25 is a nice blend but they all drop by two places min. Would prefer we end up with one pick under 10 plus other 1sts.

Last edited:
So have our collective opinions on chucking a bucket of money at English changed since Friday? I was initially lukewarm to the idea, but watching BWill get absolutely smashed really highlighted the case for his replacement as a ruckman for mine.
He’s best available, comes free of draft capital and is a massive upgrade but I’d rather a tap ruckman if one becomes available. Knobel would be ideal as a developing tap ruck.

Absolutely agree.

I mean our side is stacked with AA's and elite talent. I mean how could Graham even be considered best 22 and even run on the field with legends like Witherden, Jones, Rotham and Luke Edwards. The audacity....

Its not like we have been just suriving with our head above water from all the A-graders we have.

News Flash: We have been terrible for the last three years, which means we need to pick these transitional players until we have a core group for the next run at it. If you haven't noticed, we have been ****ed for the last three years.

I worry we will still be bottom three next year. And there is a real chance we can have Sharp too 🤤
Have you seen him play this season Joey?

No it wont. 6 will become 7 with Ashcroft. 8 at the most if Lombard goes earlier.

That is Travagalia territory if we want to jump a little early.

No other father sons or academy kids rated that low. Even if they were it wouldnt matter as we cannot pick them anyway.

That Suns pick all but guarantees Travaglia IMO.
Battle compo?

It was always simmos plan to have bailey as a forward 2nd ruck .

With Jack Williams looking like an absolute gem as a forward and ruck bailey is surplus if we get English.

I hope bailey sees this and asks for a trade .

There will be a few clubs happy to grab him from Victoria

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back