List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 57 19.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 46 15.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 6.7%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

Last edited by a moderator:
9 becomes 11.

Risk there is we miss out on all the top rated mids. And also miss Travagalia, Trainor and Lalor.

9, 10, 13, 23 and 25 is a nice blend but they all drop by two places min. Would prefer we end uo with one pick under 10 plus other 1sts.
Why does 9 become 11? My board is done independently of Ashcroft and Lombard. It would only drop back 1 with a Battle FA pick and I am hearing he is re-signing. If the Dogs get a FA pick for losing English, that would be after 9, 10 and 13.

I expect Armstrong to elevate into the top 10 as a KPF is considered higher value. Murphy Reid is also rising up boards and may go single digits. And if Dodson continues as he has and selects AFL, he could be a real surprise early pick.

Do not want Trainor. But I think there will be clubs jumping at him early.

Last edited:

The move of Travaglia into the middle continues with reasonable success. His intense competitiveness leads to him applying significant defensive pressure around contests and stoppage, and his high work rate allows him to find plenty of the footy on the spread. He's not as clean with his hands and incisive with his movement as other top line mids in the pool at this stage though, which leads to most of his work at stoppage being scrappy.

9 becomes 11.

Risk there is we miss out on all the top rated mids. And also miss Travagalia, Trainor and Lalor.

9, 10, 13, 23 and 25 is a nice blend but they all drop by two places min. Would prefer we end uo with one pick under 10 plus other 1sts.

Ashcorft and Lombard bids push live pick 9 to 11.

I look at the top 10 who we miss out on.

I dont mind splitting if we still have a live pick around 8. It means at worst we can still jump on Travagalia then chase mids with picks 11 to 14 ish.

So have our collective opinions on chucking a bucket of money at English changed since Friday? I was initially lukewarm to the idea, but watching BWill get absolutely smashed really highlighted the case for his replacement as a ruckman for mine.
I would have to go back and watch some GC v WB matches to see how English fared against witts

Ashcorft and Lombard bids push live pick 9 to 11.

I look at the top 10 who we miss out on.

I dont mind splitting if we still have a live pick around 8. It means at worst we can still jump on Travagalia then chase mids with picks 11 to 14 ish.
I do my board without the NGA and FS prospects.

Twomey's July prospects
1722843396416.png

PM Bangers top 15
1722843487313.png

Ed Pascoe July rankings
1722843571543.png

I am expecting Armstrong to start rising up boards Tigers will be keen with the Suns pick.

My board is a bit different though still changing as the final rounds are still happening.

I use these 3 listings just to show how different the ranking are and I suspect Cal Twomey is going to have a really tough phantom call as recruiters will be very tight lipped.

Interesting. I know he wasn’t RFA so hard for the Saints to have influence but I thought they would’ve taken pick 6 in a heart beat for him.
Nah Ross wants wins . Losing battle will put them back . They have heaps of cap so I think they are chasing one of the gws UFA.

I do my board without the NGA and FS prospects.

Twomey's July prospects
View attachment 2069746

PM Bangers top 15
View attachment 2069747

Ed Pascoe July rankings
View attachment 2069748

I am expecting Armstrong to start rising up boards Tigers will be keen with the Suns pick.

My board is a bit different though still changing as the final rounds are still happening.

I use these 3 listings just to show how different the ranking are and I suspect Cal Twomey is going to have a really tough phantom call as recruiters will be very tight lipped.
You’d think Essendon would be all over Armstrong or maybe Travaglia with a top 10 pick. Can’t see them going a mid.

Caddy last year and Hobbs/Tsatas looking average. Although I don’t think they need a mid necessarily
Caddy really their only hope up forward going forward. Wright isn’t looking great. Kako handed to them is a big leg up.

Both are doing very well in the VFL, just Brad doesn’t play the young blokes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Freo 3 x R1 picks are moving backwards. My predictor had them finishing with picks 9, 12, 14 and 25. While I would love 9, 12 and 14 for 3 and 23, that may need a F3 to sweeten the deal.

If we want to keep our future picks in hand, then what about 10, 13 and 25 for 3 and 30 . I anticipate 3 gets Bolton from Tigerland (along with 1, they get 2 of Smith/Smillie/Draper/FOS)

Assuming we get 9 and 30 for Barrass.

Take to the draft 9, 10, 13, 23 and 25 (late pick for Champion)

There are a few I have on the board in the 20's I would like prior to pick 30, hence the value in getting 25 and giving up 30.

Looking at it through a Purple lens, they turn 9, 12, 14 and 25 into Bolton plus 14 and 30.
Like your thinking but prefer

Trading F1 for Freo picks 9 & 12

Trade Barrass for 10 and 28 (send this for Baker)

Go to draft woth 2, 9,10, 12 and 23

Effectively F1 and Barrass for 9,10, 12 and Baker

Like your thinking but prefer

Trading F1 for Freo picks 9 & 12

Trade Barrass for 10 and 28 (send this for Baker)

Go to draft woth 2, 9,10, 12 and 23

Effectively F1 and Barrass for 9,10, 12 and Baker

Tigers aren’t taking 28 for Baker.

I agree I’d look at dealing out F1, but if we’re doing that ideally we’ve got to squeeze the Hawks F1 out of them in the Barrass deal somehow.

Thoughts on Archer Day-Wicks? I'd quite like him with a later pick.
Day-Wicks is an enigma. He'll do some really sensational things and then he'll also get tunnel vision around the goals.
He is a good mark for his size but needs to work on his field kicking which can be suspect.
Plenty to work with, just need to be patient.
Some photographs from yesterday.
Archer Day-Wicks-7.jpg Archer Day-Wicks-3.jpg
Archer Day-Wicks-5.jpg
Archer Day-Wicks-8.jpg Archer Day-Wicks-6.jpg
Archer Day-Wicks-2.jpg

Just saw Jack ough's name mentioned in a draft board, looks like a big winger.
Anyone seen him and have thoughts on his draft range?
I'd really like us to pick up at least one outside mid this draft. Moraes will probably go too early

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Trade Out (2): Barrass (Hawthorn- Picks 10,26), B Williams (F3)
Trade In (1) : Baker (F2)
FA (2) : English, Graham

Draft picks (5) - 3,10,23,26,59(Champion)
Picks for 2025 -
F1,2xF3,F4

Overall - 3 new players in, 2 players out, minimum 5 draft picks

Need to delist minimum 7 players -
Gaff, Rotham, Jones, L Edwards, Sheed (medical retirement- foot)

Plus 2* of Trew, Culley, Rawlinson, Baker (all rookies), Burgiel or Witherden

*Add one more of this group for each additional player you want traded in or draft/rookie pick used
I'd be wrapped with that. Decent to good experience. Great picks.

And no Curtin

Lol cause he was the only shut down player in the side. He also used to get burnt by Saad and usually trailer him by 30-40m.

Hutch was the definition of a plodder
Yeah nah

He kind of was a plodder / nowhere (previous club), found his niche and hit a purple patch for a year or 2.

Hats off to him.

Club held onto him for at least 1 year too long.

He got the best out of himself.

Just saw Jack ough's name mentioned in a draft board, looks like a big winger.
Anyone seen him and have thoughts on his draft range?
I'd really like us to pick up at least one outside mid this draft. Moraes will probably go too early

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app
Kade Herbert from SA looks like a good late pick for an outside mid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back