List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 57 19.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 46 15.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 6.7%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

Last edited by a moderator:
The Freo 3 x R1 picks are moving backwards. My predictor had them finishing with picks 9, 12, 14 and 25. While I would love 9, 12 and 14 for 3 and 23, that may need a F3 to sweeten the deal.

If we want to keep our future picks in hand, then what about 10, 13 and 25 for 3 and 30 . I anticipate 3 gets Bolton from Tigerland (along with 1, they get 2 of Smith/Smillie/Draper/FOS)

Assuming we get 9 and 30 for Barrass.

Take to the draft 9, 10, 13, 23 and 25 (late pick for Champion)

There are a few I have on the board in the 20's I would like prior to pick 30, hence the value in getting 25 and giving up 30.

Looking at it through a Purple lens, they turn 9, 12, 14 and 25 into Bolton plus 14 and 30.
I guess it depends on how high the rate Bolton but that looks a bit fanciful for mine. Very heavy in our favour but if they think Bolton might get them a flag then perhaps?

Just saw Jack ough's name mentioned in a draft board, looks like a big winger.
Anyone seen him and have thoughts on his draft range?
I'd really like us to pick up at least one outside mid this draft. Moraes will probably go too early

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app
I’m not sure if the kids at our local rag are ready for a good Jack Ough on our list.

Ashcorft and Lombard bids push live pick 9 to 11.

I look at the top 10 who we miss out on.

I dont mind splitting if we still have a live pick around 8. It means at worst we can still jump on Travagalia then chase mids with picks 11 to 14 ish.
I'm not a fan of getting rid of our top pick, which will be pick 2. We need one of those top 3/4 prospects.

Hawks 9 and 28 for Barrass
Freo pick 25 for Ryan

Draft
2 9 23 25 28 59(champion)

Thanks for coming.

Use F2 F3 for Baker, Garcia or Davies.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

I'm not a fan of getting rid of our top pick, which will be pick 2. We need one of those top 3/4 prospects.

Hawks 9 and 28 for Barrass
Freo pick 25 for Ryan

Draft
2 9 23 25 28 59(champion)

Thanks for coming.

Use F2 F3 for Baker, Garcia or Davies.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app
Cannot see Ryan going to Fremantle

Why are so many on here so keen to trade down next year’s draft when this year’s draft is supposedly light on for elite talent but deep for solid prospects? Draft commentators have suggested next year’s WA prospects are strong. It seems like a risky strategy because it may be hard to trade back in next year with clubs wanting to capitalise before Tassie join the comp..

Why are so many on here so keen to trade down next year’s draft when this year’s draft is supposedly light on for elite talent but deep for solid prospects? Draft commentators have suggested next year’s WA prospects are strong. It seems like a risky strategy because it may be hard to trade back in next year with clubs wanting to capitalise before Tassie join the comp..
We’ve got two NGA and F/S prospects that unless they bottle their top age year we’ll be taking as high as the early 2nd round. Our future picks are worth whatever value we assign them. I’d be telling teams they are on the table but each of them will be valued as if we finish 17th, so pick 2,19,37 etc.
Next year’s draft will also be heavily compromised by NGA and F/S, far moreso than this year particularly in the 1R.

So have our collective opinions on chucking a bucket of money at English changed since Friday? I was initially lukewarm to the idea, but watching BWill get absolutely smashed really highlighted the case for his replacement as a ruckman for mine.
English got a coaches vote. i wonder if Bwilliams has ever got coaches votes?

If you look at the way hawthorn have progressed their list from last year to this year with their Ins at the trade table I feel as though we could follow a similar path.

They were a bottom 4 rebuilding club last year, who would have struggled to convince any top line player to come to their club. Instead they topped up with De'Ambrosio, Chol, Ginnivan and Gunston (whom all came at a very low cost) - as well as some kids. Hawks fans may have looked at their recruits and thought - none are stars, list cloggers at other clubs.

Instead those 4 have helped move the club into the next part of the ladder. They realistically finish between 6-10 this year.

All of a sudden, because they are a powerful club with a strong history and shown that they have a good future they are a chance to bring in Barrass, Battle and Perryman who you would think would then shift them into potentially top 4 calculation in 2025.

If we compare that to how we could go about rebuilding our list - at this stage there is no reason for quality WA players to want to come to West Coast over Freo. Bolton, Warner etc.

If we can draft well this year and then bring in Graham, English, Baker etc, without using much draft capital, we would hopefully transition from bottom 2, to the 10-14 range.

All of a sudden, players looking to return to WA - might be more inclined to choose us over Freo.

Love the way the Hawks have gone about it under Mitchell. Realistically, we aren't going to turn this around as quickly as they have, but these middle of the road players like Graham, who bring a wealth of experience and success to a young group, may help to start shifting that needle in a positive direction.
Far too much sense made here, should be ashamed of yourself.

Sent from my Nokia X30 5G using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m warming up to English more than I was before but he ain’t gonna drastically improve us in the ruck. He’d improve us a lot around the ground with his link up play and importantly taking big relieving marks up the ground that Bailey hardly takes but he isn’t gonna be providing the silver service to our mids that many expect him to. Will also be interesting how his around the ground work goes with a midfield that far from elite.

Doubt it, Swans list boss was on Gettable a couple of weeks ago and said due to the TTP you don’t have to be Einstein to work out they won’t be in the market for a high profile player…… (unless things change significantly)

If the Eagle are going to pay a fair Chuck of his salary…. Wow wee 18*/20/Sheldeick and ?

Doubt it, Swans list boss was on Gettable a couple of weeks ago and said due to the TTP you don’t have to be Einstein to work out they won’t be in the market for a high profile player…… (unless things change significantly)

If the Eagle are going to pay a fair Chuck of his salary…. Wow wee 18*/20/Sheldeick and ?
All hypothetical of course. But if we paid a chunk of salary then you would expect a future pick upgrade of sorts as well.
WCE F3/4 for Sydney F2 for example. 18 and 19 will be valued quite highly in this draft given it's depth. Might be the type of year where picks are actually considered to be worth their draft index value. 18 and 19 is worth pick 5 in theory.

Trade Out (2): Barrass (Hawthorn- Picks 10,26), B Williams (F3)
Trade In (1) : Baker (F2)
FA (2) : English, Graham

Draft picks (5) - 3,10,23,26,59(Champion)
Picks for 2025 -
F1,2xF3,F4

Overall - 3 new players in, 2 players out, minimum 5 draft picks

Need to delist minimum 7 players -
Gaff, Rotham, Jones, L Edwards, Sheed (medical retirement- foot)

Plus 2* of Trew, Culley, Rawlinson, Baker (all rookies), Burgiel or Witherden

*Add one more of this group for each additional player you want traded in or draft/rookie pick used
Where’s the Big Bad Bailey talk come from?

Because we have 2 very good upcoming academy prospects, I believe. Still, need to wait to see how the changes to points affec this.

:thumbsu: If you look at the way hawthorn have progressed their list from last year to this year with their Ins at the trade table I feel as though we could follow a similar path.

They were a bottom 4 rebuilding club last year, who would have struggled to convince any top line player to come to their club. Instead they topped up with De'Ambrosio, Chol, Ginnivan and Gunston (whom all came at a very low cost) - as well as some kids. Hawks fans may have looked at their recruits and thought - none are stars, list cloggers at other clubs.

Instead those 4 have helped move the club into the next part of the ladder. They realistically finish between 6-10 this year.

All of a sudden, because they are a powerful club with a strong history and shown that they have a good future they are a chance to bring in Barrass, Battle and Perryman who you would think would then shift them into potentially top 4 calculation in 2025.

If we compare that to how we could go about rebuilding our list - at this stage there is no reason for quality WA players to want to come to West Coast over Freo. Bolton, Warner etc.

If we can draft well this year and then bring in Graham, English, Baker etc, without using much draft capital, we would hopefully transition from bottom 2, to the 10-14 range.

All of a sudden, players looking to return to WA - might be more inclined to choose us over Freo.

Love the way the Hawks have gone about it under Mitchell. Realistically, we aren't going to turn this around as quickly as they have, but these middle of the road players like Graham, who bring a wealth of experience and success to a young group, may help to start shifting that needle in a positive direction.

Great post. How did I miss this

Posted a couple of times. I see us two years behind Hawthorn in our rebuild and hooe we fikkow suit.:thumbsu:

Last edited:
Have you seen him play this season Joey?

Nope, I havent seen too much of Richmond/Graham.

What I know, is Sheed is most likely done. Ginbey seems like he will destined to play HBF, for the moment. Yeo/Kelly and Reid are not playing the defensive rotation, with the exception of Duggan on the rare occasion.

Graham will cost nothing, play a role, wont take away game time from a young kid. Instead, will provide a big body to protect them in the contest to take the majority of the hits. He is also a premiership player, has experience .etc

If he isnt quite upto it, its 2/3 years in the WAFL doing the same thing for Chesser and example only (Jagga Smith). Its a free hit, so why worry about it?

If we draft Jack Ough, that makes me want to pick up I.Cumming even more.

Then bring Bruce McAvaney back for the commentary along with Cometti.

Need to get former Swans player Jack Hiscox on the other wing

I think English in particular is an excellent interceptor in the back half. Gets to the right spots and covers a lot of ground.

if we are keen to move on Barrass it will leave us a bit exposed in that respect - especially as Gov will be 33 and is too brave for his own good.

English will fill that gap.
I’ve been on/off our pursuit of him this year but I honestly think he makes us better and provides a real model for Barnett who projects very similarly to English in description.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back